Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I need to be convinced of this. My understanding is that most lenses supply more resolution than current sensors can handle.
Then you've perhaps not tried using FF digital cameras. I have used Nikon's excellent D800 and some lenses that were great on the D700 and APS-C cameras now show pronounced longitudinal and lateral CA. The problem isn't the centre but the border and edges. Even on the K-5, they've had to tweak the design of the kit lens because the original version just couldn't resolve enough detail.

09-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #32
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I need to be convinced of this. My understanding is that most lenses supply more resolution than current sensors can handle.
I would also suppose this has to be worked on even more with FF sensors because even existing APS-C cameras (cf. K-5, K-7) offer CA and distortion correction for Pentax lenses, which do make a difference to the end result...
09-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by meeverett Quote

Obviously about a 35mm f/1.4 on FF there, judging by the FOV and DOF and distance/perspective.

09-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Hate to break your thought bubble but the reality is your legacy MF lenses aren't up to scratch with the latest FF sensors. Just how many Nikon D800 users are still using legacy lenses? Most of the old lenses just cannot make it in terms of sharpness and resolution with the current sensors. Not so telling on APS-C but the shortcomings definitely show up on FF.
This isn't really true, though - many old AI lenses are still brilliant on the D800. The 105 f/2.5 AI for one example. Also, any of the old 50's still are pretty wonderful, as is the 20 f/2.8 AF-D, 85 1.8 AF-D, 180 f/2.8 AF, 300 f/4 AF, etc.

The same would hold true for many of the Pentax K, M, A, F lenses, and several Takumars.

09-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
The same would hold true for many of the Pentax K, M, A, F lenses, and several Takumars.
Many, some, or a few? How many is many? I expect there are more lenses that wouldn't work that well, than those that would.
09-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Many, some, or a few? How many is many? I expect there are more lenses that wouldn't work that well, than those that would.
More than enough to keep us busy until new ones come off the roadmap PDF and into our hands

Seriously, aside from some lenses with edge problems, I can almost guarantee that every lens you like on aps-c you will like just as much if not more on FF - especially a high-MP FF body. Keep in mind that an MTF score is really a combo score - lens + sensor - and that almost any lens will resolve more detail on a higher-MP sensor than a lower one, unless it's a really bad lens.