Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For All You Folks That Want An Affordable Full Frame From Pentax...........

It's starting to look like Nikon beat Pentax to the punch- New Nikon D600( STARTING PRICE $2099)

Now.....I am not one of those "Jonesing" for a Full Frame.........yet.
But......I know that as I get more into a professional level with my skylz(which is still a few years away), I will be looking to be getting a FF, I know for sure that if Pentax has not put one out by that time, then I will be getting into a new set up with a different name on the gear, I however will not ditch my Pentax gear, it will STILL have an important role in my gear. But it is looking like Nikon is really stepping things up and with their support and availability of gear on the market, it is very tempting to go with them, and to stop dumping wasted money into Pentax.
I have always been Brand loyal and a Pentax supporter, but it is getting near the time where I gotta say enough is enough I cannot wait any longer holding my breath for them to come out with something like a FF. Ya their latest announcements are impressive, and i like the direction that they are going, but if they are ever going to be a viable competitor in this technology/DSLR market then they too have gotta step things up. But the Canikon camp has taken over that world and are putting out quality equipment along with excellent support and availability.
I will never bash Pentax, they have always made gear that has NEVER let me down over the last 35 years of my utilizing them, and I will most likely never get rid of the Pentax gear mainly because of sentimental value, I just love my Pentax gear.

PLEASE- PENTAX i HOPE YOU ARE PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT FOLKS ARE SAYING.

09-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax are paying attention, just that they won't release an FF this year. Next year will be better luck with your wishes. Either wait it out, or jump ship now. Depends what you want, a FF now or next year.
09-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I think if you can wait a while longer for the 'grand plan' from RICOH, then wait till the next big camera show early next year (CP+?)
If no FF, then consider going dual system or jumping ship, whichever way your logic or finances dictate.

I did a wee bit of soul searching lately about my own photography; partly due to the current state of Pentax, its relation to FF and camera options available as of Sep 2012 (ie. MILC; serious compacts; m4/3, etc)

My photography is rather varied.
Travel, family, family/friends studio/strobist portraits, macros, landscapes, streets.

The only thing FF will give me would be bragging rights for my large lens collection and perhaps the "aww.... so thin DOF" comments coming from forum ppl when I post shots at large apertures.
I like the lower encumbrance of APS-C. Great for travels.
The quality and DOF control is reasonable to me, and in most of the stuff I do, DOF don't need to be OTT.
It just needs to be shallow enough.

So for now, I stick to APS-C, knowing that though its good to have FF, its not a need.
If the Pentax FF comes along, fine.
As long as I have the money, I will get one for my FF lenses.
If it does not, I don't think it matters that much to me either.

Last edited by pinholecam; 09-16-2012 at 08:58 AM.
09-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I think if you can wait a while longer for the 'grand plan' from RICOH, then wait till the next big camera show early next year (CP+?)
If no FF, then consider going dual system or jumping ship, whichever way your logic or finances dictate.
Yep, like I said in my thread, I still have time untill I get a lot of my skills polished up, I have a K-5 that is way more camera then I will need for a while to come, I was just merely pointing out the fact that Pentax had better get on board soon because these other companies are really stepping things up. I think that if Pentax comes out with a nice FF that is WR then they would get a decent foothold in the market, the WR would be the deal maker in my book.

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Pentax are paying attention, just that they won't release an FF this year. Next year will be better luck with your wishes. Either wait it out, or jump ship now. Depends what you want, a FF now or next year.
I will most likely never "jump ship" My APSC needs will always be with Pentax because their cameras are unbeatable in this sector, I will most likely be a two system shooter if I ended up getting a Nikon FF. I however still have lots of time until I feel I will need FF and I feel that Pentax will most likely come out with one soon........but not holding my breath lol

09-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

I did a wee bit of soul searching lately about my own photography; partly due to the current state of Pentax, its relation to FF and camera options available as of Sep 2012 (ie. MILC; serious compacts; m4/3, etc)

My photography is rather varied.
Travel, family, family/friends studio/strobist portraits, macros, landscapes, streets.

The only thing FF will give me would be bragging rights for my large lens collection and perhaps the "aww.... so thin DOF" comments coming from forum ppl when I post shots at large apertures.
I like the lower encumbrance of APS-C.
The quality and DOF control is reasonable to me, and in most of the stuff I do, DOF don't need to be OTT.
It just needs to be shallow enough.

So for now, I stick to APS-C, knowing that though its good to have FF, its not a need.
If the Pentax FF comes along, fine.
As long as I have the money, I will get one for my FF lenses.
If it does not, I don't think it matters that much to me either.
You and I are similar types of shooters, and at the moment I feel the same way. My skillz are no where near good enough to warrant a FF, I am basically saying that one day they May warrant a FF and I am hoping that Pentax is there with that certain camera to fill that niche. I feel that there are many others that feel the same way I do about Pentax and hopefully they come out with a FF soon even for the same reasons. In fact after reading through these forums over the last year I am noticing a trend of folks actually "jumping ship" and even selling all their Pentax gear to help fund their future purchases of Canikon gear.
Like many have expressed in here- when the potential consumer is out there looking to get into photography and into a DSLR they are most likely going to get the brand that has the most exposure in the market ie Canon, Nikon.
I feel that Pentax has a long way to go to get established in this market again and it is going to be a long and bumpy road for them, no one is going to give a rats arse about what the company is going through when they are out looking into getting into some gear, they are going to look for the name brand items.
If Pentax puts out an item that is FF and WR along with the ease of use that their past cameras are known for, then they will at least make a new name for themselves, but that is going to take some serious advertising and well thought out pricing. They need to really get out there and promote themselves or they are going to go the way of the dinasaurs.
09-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I (we?) need more and better lenses, not FF so much.

What our friends in Canon and Nikon land have access to is not just FF in the bodies, but a lot of very nice lenses, especially at the telephoto end. Some are even affordable.

And they have tele-converters that work with your AF too.
09-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

What our friends in Canon and Nikon land have access to is not just FF in the bodies, but a lot of very nice lenses, especially at the telephoto end. Some are even affordable.

Thats what I'm screaming as well

09-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

This. I really don't need FF as that would undoubtedly lead to increased camera size and weight. For my mostly travel, event shooting where I haul the things around, I really like the size/weight/robustness of the K5. What I really want is some SHARP f2.8 tele-zooms and a fully functional, high quality 1.4x or 1.7x teleconverter.
09-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FF is on the Pentax radar.
New lenses will have to come in for the FF camera as well.
So it's just a matter of time...
09-17-2012, 12:58 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I've grown weary of all the, "Where's my FF?!" posts. Just as others have said, there are so many things that would actually benefit my photography right now that I would much rather Pentax focus on. Let the FF come when it is ready. After all, what good is a FF camera with nothing else?

If FF is essential, move on or better yet I'll sell you a full frame Pentax ($2000 ought to do it), last I checked they've produced several models that shoot a 24×36 mm frame. They don't have very new technology sensors or shake reduction, but you can choose from any of several kinds of sensor. I've got a couple with really nice retro looks and really compact bodies.

I saw The Joy of Tech yesterday and I immediately thought of all these "FF or I'm leaving" people. I mean honestly, is it necessary to spam every single post on their Facebook wall with FF demands? Or flood these forums with "I'm disappointed! No FF, BOOO Pentax!" I think they got the point. I'm well aware of the reasons a FF is better than APS-C, but is it really the end of the world that Pentax haven't rushed out some half-hearted Canikon clone?

09-17-2012, 01:28 AM   #11

Canon just released another entry level full frame camera option for us.

just get the pk to eos adapter.

or hope we can see the pentax full frame option tmr

6D on dpreview
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09/17/Canon-announces-eos-6d-enthusiast-le...ull-frame-dslr
09-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sunnycamera Quote

6D on dpreview
Canon announces EOS 6D enthusiast-level Wi-Fi capable full-frame DSLR: Digital Photography Review

Oh damn it... Look at it's specs.. It's what Pentax FF would be like if it outs one. LOL! Oh well, i guess we should be more thankful that we atleast have an option to go dual-system right? The power of K mounts, rmb? Pentax name still lives on! LOL!

But then again, it looks like an "experimental" camera.. Like a prototype.. 1cross-AF point.. Hmm...
09-17-2012, 03:44 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sunnycamera Quote

6D on dpreview
Canon announces EOS 6D enthusiast-level Wi-Fi capable full-frame DSLR: Digital Photography Review
This will be interesting. Only 11 AF points, no in-built flash, no AF assist lamp, mono audio, 97% VF. On the other hand, it does have H264 video and built-in GPS. Based on previous negative comments here on many or all of these attributes, there shouldn't be much support for it on PF, even if it's the camera Pentax should have built.

Wi-fi "capable"? A bit like you can have AF assist by "optional speedlite".

It's also still a bit of a monster in comparison with the K-5, but that may be a positive for some, though not me. I hope any Pentax FF isn't too much like this one.
09-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by meeverett Quote
I saw The Joy of Tech yesterday and I immediately thought of all these "FF or I'm leaving" people.
In the iPhone case, it's a bit different. Apple has reached critical mass and is effectively releasing a phone w/ 1yr old technology (all the better for profits) and every iPhone user is buying it, even though there is much superior technology (e.g., Samsung's S3 which Apple is trying to sue out of existence). They've attained a "halo" product where people will blindly give them money even for minor upgrades...it's a great place to be for a company. It's a puzzling thing to look at if you understand the tech...

I suspect Canon really wanted to price their 6D in the $2300 range as rumored. Nikon's pricing took them by surprise, almost like their D7000 took Pentax by surprise w/ the K-5. But in this case, Canon decided to compete better on price...
If Pentax prices their FF at $2500, it probably won't do that well (close to D800 territory). If they price it at $1800-2000, it'd probably be priced about right given they're releasing 6 months later w/ the same sensor...
09-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My desire for FF is simply to use my collection of legacy film MF lenses with the angle of view they gave me on film, and with the ease-of-focus that a FF viewfinder (like the MX) gives. Basically a digital that I would use like an MX. The MX of course had a great FF viewfinder using the K lens mount and in a body smaller than the APSC cameras today, so why does everyone claim a FF body must be huge?
Of course the Nikon D600 is basically a D7000 with larger finder and sensor, and that's what Pentax should do based on the K-5. Nikon and Canon have shown that it can be done, and set a price point of $2K. With Sony and other new cameras going FF, I can't see Pentax thriving if they don't do so as well.
The Nikon MF lenses from the '70s are very good and quite cheap. Probably makes more sense even with my old lenses to replace them with old Nikon glass and go with a D600.
I have no interest in autofocus.