Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Good Samsung/Pentax stores in HK?

Anyone know of stores in Hong Kong that carries Pentax or Samsung DSLRs? The K20D/K200D would probably arrive here in full MSRP, without the benefit of the so-called "street price" you have there in the US.

I was thinking of booking a trip later on this year to fetch me one of those new cameras. Yup, that's how big the price difference will be. I can eke out a trip.

Any stores you guys could recommend over there that carries Pentax/Samsung? I'd probably lean towards Samsung if the price difference is big. Any help would be much appreciated.

02-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Vinzer,
Suggest you allow at least two days for this.
I would go to Mongkok and check out Wing Shing & Man Shing Photo Supplies, apparently both under the same umbrella but can carry different stock. There are a number of camera stores along and adjacent to Nathan Rd in Kowloon, I have never bought here as the "shrink wrapped packaging" scares me, so be careful if you go near Nathan Rd.

I would also go to Stanley St, (HK Island) there are a number of camera stores along there that are worth a look.

Also go to the Wan Chai Computer Centre. As you stand at the base of the escalator at the entrance, look to your left and you will see a McDonalds, next to that is small camera store that had a good range of Pentax bodies & lens' when I was there in Nov '07. ALSO, go into the Wan Chai Computer Centre, its a rabbitt warren (maze) of small shops spread over three (3) levels, I found some Pentax products in there as well, at prices worth a look...but be prepared to search, its an interesting place.

If you have not been to HK, I highly reccommend using the MTR underground train system, it gets you to within walking distance of all of the above.

Good Luck and hope this is of some use for you.
Grant
02-02-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Hi Vinzer,
Suggest you allow at least two days for this.
I would go to Mongkok and check out Wing Shing & Man Shing Photo Supplies, apparently both under the same umbrella but can carry different stock. There are a number of camera stores along and adjacent to Nathan Rd in Kowloon, I have never bought here as the "shrink wrapped packaging" scares me, so be careful if you go near Nathan Rd.

I would also go to Stanley St, (HK Island) there are a number of camera stores along there that are worth a look.

Also go to the Wan Chai Computer Centre. As you stand at the base of the escalator at the entrance, look to your left and you will see a McDonalds, next to that is small camera store that had a good range of Pentax bodies & lens' when I was there in Nov '07. ALSO, go into the Wan Chai Computer Centre, its a rabbitt warren (maze) of small shops spread over three (3) levels, I found some Pentax products in there as well, at prices worth a look...but be prepared to search, its an interesting place.

If you have not been to HK, I highly reccommend using the MTR underground train system, it gets you to within walking distance of all of the above.

Good Luck and hope this is of some use for you.
Grant
Thanks for the information. I'll save this and print this out for reference.

How much of a price difference should I be looking at compared to the prices over at B&H and other major online retailers? This is just so I can compute the expected cash outlay for the purchase.

Again, thanks for the info. Very helpful.
02-02-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These prices are from the shop next to Maccas in Wan Chai.

Remember it was Nov 07 when I wrote these down.

31 Ltd: $6480 hkd
77 Ltd: $4850 hkd
DA* 16-50: $7830 hkd
DA* 50-135: $7890 hkd.

I seem to recall better prices within the Computer Centre and I did not try and bargain either.

02-04-2008, 07:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Those prices aren't bad and comparable to most prices I see online, so I guess that HK trip is now guaranteed. Thanks for taking the time to share these info with me. Very much appreciated and helpful.