Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #1

Which K-5 is right for me?

Hey guys, I'm a photography major and have been reluctant to upgrade my camera until Photokina's spoils came to light. Now I am stuck with a dilemma of which K-5 do I get. I currently have a K-r, DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135 and a few film primes from way back. Any suggestions?

The K-5 looks like it will still be around for a while still and be quite affordable- but what about the upgrades to the AF system? Surely if I don't have a K-5 yet, I should go with the better version.

Then there is the K-5 II and the K-5 IIs. I think I would like to get a camera with no low pass filter, but then again, how easy is it to remove moire? And is moire rampant or subtle? What do you guys think?

09-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Basicly if you always edit your photos then get the S if you don't edit that much get the normal version.
That's the easiest and most simple.
09-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Uh, I would say this depends on what kind of photography you do. The K-5 classic will be as good as the others for stills and its AF isn't terrible either. The version II have improved AF, which could be useful in some situations, but if you don't find yourself in those situations, it is pointless. The one without the filter again.. depending on what you shoot. If you shoot textile or feathers or other things like that, the IIs might not be a good idea. Also, I think we should wait for some reviews, see how good the AF upgrade really is, how important the (lack of) filter is, stuff like that.