Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-5 IIs.... Highly highly tempting. But do I NEED it ?

I just got my K-5 like 4-5 months ago. I'm still learning about it. But I think I'm getting pretty good. I'm shooting weddings, senior portraits, football games, and have a MMA Cage fight event scheduled to shoot in the near future. I took to photography like a duck in the water. I love it ! I'm addicted. Problem is... I'm also a tech junky. If its new or improved, I'm the first one in line to try to get it. I love new stuff. To a fault. Well, after shooting some football games, I'm kinda noticing the autofocus on my beloved K-5 isn't exactly as fast or accurate as I'd like. If what they're saying is true about the new AF system, then I think this will be a big enough improvement for me to stick with Pentax and not jump ship. Also, on the K-5 II S, without the AA filter, I'm curious how that will improve the image quality, and by how much of a difference. All input is appreciated. Thank you.

09-18-2012, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nikon D800 vs. D800E

QuoteQuote:
The D800 is for making pictures, while the D800E is for counting pixels.
QuoteQuote:
If you want great pictures, get the regular D800. If you're a pixel-counting nut who spends more time looking at your photos at 100% on a computer screen than seeing your work in print or on gallery walls, get the D800E.

The minor potential for greater sharpness from the D800E will only be visible in huge mural-sized prints, while the defects from moiré will be visible in all prints and in video.
Just replace D800 & D800E with K-5 II & K-5 IIs.
09-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or for some level-headed analysis, check the D800/800E revew on dpreview. But for those interested in the K-5IIs (including me), I think it's worth waiting for some solid side-by-side tests of the K-5II and IIs.
09-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you have a K-5 already, I would hang on to my money and spend it on a bigger upgrade later.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Nikon D800 vs. D800E

Just replace D800 & D800E with K-5 II & K-5 IIs.
Wow, thanks a million for that. Kinda have me rethinking the K-5 IIs. I need to do some more research on the AA filter. Sounds like something I may need. I do a lot of portraits. I can't afford to have a bunch of crazy moire' & discoloration in my pictures. And from what that article said, the sharpness level is only apparent on really large prints. The largest I print is 10x12. So maybe the "Non S" version would be a better fit.
09-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know a person who has a D800E. He only shoots landscapes in the last hour of sunlight, and he brackets everything he shoots. I'm pretty sure he thinks of himself as the next Ansel Adams, he admits that his dream was to retire and buy a large format camera but had to settle for a FF in the digital age...
09-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lenses are where it's at, mate. If you're going to spend your money, invest in good lenses. You have a good camera, ensure you pair it with fine glass.

09-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you have a K-5 already, I would hang on to my money and spend it on a bigger upgrade later.
Adam, are you hinting again? Please don't.....
09-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
Banned

I would get the IIs for my needs. I'm starting to actually get jobs in concert work and I am a fan of sharper shots, so I'd do it, that way I have my FA35 on my K5 and put an FA77 or something else on the IIs.

If the AF is improved, I have no desire to go up to a 5DIII or D800.

Some examples: DELUGE PHOTO: Kalmah
09-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Adam, are you hinting again? Please don't.....
No, but it's inevitable that a (proper) upgrade to the K-5 will be coming out.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Several wise thoughts here. The K-5 is so good that I've anyway considered replacing my K-7 with a K-5 to have two K-5. If the AF of the K-5II is really considerable better than older SAFOX (and don't just have a new number) I of course want that. And I'm curious about what the IIs will be able to do that the II can't. But it will have to wait for tests and it will as always be weighted against what glass there is I don't have but want bad enough. I am less prone however to weight it agaist unknown speculated future models. Waiting for next years models is a process that can go on for ever...the grass is always greener next year...and last years grass is always dry and brown...
09-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #12
Banned

You don't, so please put in your pre-order a.s.a.p!
09-19-2012, 02:58 AM   #13

I am curious what will come out of Ricoh's ownership of Pentax, and it is not easy to foresee. It has happened quite a lot the six years since Sony bought Minolta.