Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can't wait to see how the humble 20/4 performs on FF! Please keep us posted. Although I also quite like the FL on APSC, I have to admit.

09-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Twice now it has disappeared from Pentaximaging.com and the Pentax Web Store. The price had gone from $31.99 to $21.99 in what seemed like a clearance move to me. After it disappeared the first time it briefly reappeared on the Pentax Web Store, B&H didn't get any of that stock.
<sigh> I'll continue to keep an eye peeled, and fingers crossed!
09-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
<sigh> I'll continue to keep an eye peeled, and fingers crossed!
Pretty sure there was an announcement about that (unofficially, probably) -- I don't think it is coming back, but maybe Ricoh will decide it is a good idea. But I'd assume you are never going to get your order, and keep your eyes peeled on the used market. Some of the alternatives are decent if you take out the spring and just leave it on the lens all the time and just use a friction fit on the body -- you can buy 5 of the off-brand ones for the price of one genuine one. (I've used the Roxen ones on ebay with success.)
09-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If there was any sort of announcement, obviously I missed it. Dang. Well, I'll continue to be hopeful but investigate the alternatives. This is probably not the thread for the discussion, but how tricky is it to remove the spring from the non-Pentax adapters?

09-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #95
Pentaxian

If there was any sort of announcement, obviously I missed it. Dang. Well, I'll continue to be hopeful but investigate the alternatives. This is probably not the thread for the discussion, but how tricky is it to remove the spring from the non-Pentax adapters?
I don't think there was a press release or anything, but I seem to remember people inquiring about that and getting the answer "yeah, that's not coming back." You can take out the spring in 10 seconds with a small screwdriver. Some third-party versions are better than others -- some are completely unusable. Why it is so difficult to make a little threaded ring that works like the original I have no idea, but it is what it is. Someone around here was claiming that some UK company sold a version that was just as good as the genuine ones, but I won't believe it until I see it. I've got two real ones and a few third-party ones. I'll be keeping my real ones...
09-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. Not tricky, in other words (I can handle a screwdriver). B&H still (today) indicate that it's "temporarily out of stock", so fingers are still crossed but I will be investigating the other options.

Would love to have one in my hands today, but the reality is that camera-handling is temporarily curtailed while my right hand continues to recover from an injury. Fortunately recovery continues apace, got about 98% of normal use back, so I hope to have the K-r back in my hands soon, maybe by the weekend. If it doesn't rain...

Good info, thank you!
09-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There wasn't really an announcement. When it disappeared from the web store the first time someone from the forum called Pentax and asked. The sales rep told them that it was discontinued.

The genuine adapters unfortunately get run up to $50 or more on evilBay. I got mine in January of 2010 for around $20. In that case the seller had listed it as an ASHAI adapter instead of ASAHI.

Check shopgoodwill.com as well. If you spend enough time looking through the camera listings you might find one with an adapter. I have seen several in the last couple of years.

Last edited by boriscleto; 09-24-2012 at 02:49 PM.
09-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #98
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good lead, thanks. I'm not desperate enough -- yet -- to go to EvilBay. Bad karma there, on a lot of things.
09-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Although I'm very pleased with the K5, and will buy the K5 IIs before the end of the year, I would buy a Pentax FF. But it would be because the camera had the features and performance that were important to me, not because of the price of the body. I can't see Pentax pulling a Sigma stunt and pricing their camera right out of the market, I'm certain it would be competitively priced.
09-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I can't see Pentax pulling a Sigma stunt and pricing their camera right out of the market, I'm certain it would be competitively priced.
Just like they haven't priced their lenses right out of the market.
09-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #101

If the price is significantly cheaper than a Leica M9, I will buy 2.
10-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
But APS only lenses are designed with SR in mind (maybe thats why some think they are FF compatible?). Theres no way you can do the same with FF lenses as a larger image circle won't prevent vigneting from the mount. FF sensors fill the mount; APS don't.
Bigger sensors also means more mass to be moved a larger distance than APS sensors.
Why should it need to move a larger distance?