Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought a D800 today to replace my D3 which I hardly used because of it's bulk and weight. But I'm not giving up my K-5 and lenses and, if Pentax should ever produce an FF camera, I would most probably buy one. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I sometimes think that Pentax understands photographers a litle better than the other makers. Most reviews I have read praise the ergonomics of the K-5, and who else would think of having a removable section on a lenshood to facilitate the use of polarising filters. In my experience, Nikon make great cameras, but to me they are somewhat robotic. Pentax, to my mind, has soul, and I'll never give up on them.

09-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #77

For that price it has to be a very special one. One which outclasses all the other ff on the market. With some special features no other brand has in its fullframes.
At this moment my max will be around $2000
09-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Pentax, to my mind, has soul, and I'll never give up on them.
totally agree on that
09-23-2012, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #79
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Pentax, to my mind, has soul
Yeah, but it's the missing body that has everyone upset

09-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #80
mee
Veteran Member

Maybe eventually.

I'd really like to see an improved APS-C body instead though.. and more lenses.. more WR in the series and more 3rd party lenses.. the more out there the more competition, the better the product and the lower the price. (in theory at least)

I would, however, like to buy FF designed lenses though.. even for my APS-C bodies.. less expense later down the road instead of a wall of cost when/if I buy into a FF body and a larger range of buyers should I ever decide to sell.

FF body would have to have an APS-C mode though for it to be desirable for me.
09-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Yeah, but it's the missing body that has everyone upset
Good point
09-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dice Quote
I'm not sure I'm pushing the abilities of my k5
I'm in the same boat.

Even though I bought a K-5 last year, I'm still not sure I even exhausted the capabilities of the K-x I upgraded from (which I still have and enjoy using). So I don't see my K-5 limiting me for a while. AF works fine for me, image quality is great etc.

What's limiting me is that I need to be more organised, and get out there and do more shooting. I don't think FF by itself will solve that problem for me.

09-24-2012, 04:17 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I don't think I'm a great photographer, but my needs have pretty much outstripped the K-5's capabilities. Most of the pressure shooting I do are in low (or at least rapidly varying) light, with constantly moving subjects.
I have tried a D800 and 3D MkIII recently, and the difference was striking. Although I'm not convinced full-frame is the answer, I hope SAFOX-10 is a big enough improvement for the K-5IIs to keep me with Pentax.
09-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'm still not sure I even exhausted the capabilities of the K-x
I know it for a fact!

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
get out there and do more shooting
I'm a working stiff, 12 hours a day, 6 days a week...., even if I had a few creative genes in me, they are so tired at the end of the week, I probably would not find them if I looked hard anyway.
I can afford a FF, but why would I waste the money?
If my job and income depended on it, I would get the best FF on the market, till Pentax decide to bring out one, then decide if it's worth it to change back to Pentax or not.
I can understand that many Pentax fans are getting disillusioned, with the way things are going regarding Pentax and FF, but life's too short and precious, to moan and groan about it all the time. If you must have a FF, get a Canikon or whatever, and get on with what it really is all about, taking photos!
09-24-2012, 05:52 AM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I know it for a fact!

I'm a working stiff, 12 hours a day, 6 days a week...., even if I had a few creative genes in me, they are so tired at the end of the week, I probably would not find them if I looked hard anyway.
+1 to both. No FF on the horizon for me, either. Can't afford it, and I've not yet even scratched the surface of my relatively new K-r's capabilities.

What I want:

-- my backordered M42 adapter, so I can play with the legacy glass -- primes, all -- that served me well on my Spotmatics

-- an end to the wet season (no WR on the K-r, alas), nice calm, dry weather

-- time to relax and contemplate imaging, not my crazy day job
09-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For me its a hobby. My K100 was wonderful - still is, until the K20's production stopped and I was able to pick it up for a reasonable price - and Pentax even included the 2 year extended warranty. The K20 served me well until the K5 was nearing the end of its production run, and price dropped substantially under the $1K mark.

So, no I would not run right out and buy one. In time - who knows, it would depend upon the need. Then there is the small matter of glass. I could use about half the lenses I have, but the others would not support it.

If photography was my profession and I needed a full frame in order to maintain my income, then I would purchase whatever was necessary.

09-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
-- my backordered M42 adapter, so I can play with the legacy glass -- primes, all -- that served me well on my Spotmaticsb
It may be difficult to get a genuine Pentax Mount Adapter K. They seem to have stopped making them.
09-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I sincerely hope you're wrong! B&H tell me it's backordered, not discontinued, so I am keeping fingers crossed and trying to be patient. With all the legacy glass out there, and Pentax's reputation for backwards compatibility, I should think they would continue to manufacture the adapter.
09-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
I sincerely hope you're wrong! B&H tell me it's backordered, not discontinued, so I am keeping fingers crossed and trying to be patient. With all the legacy glass out there, and Pentax's reputation for backwards compatibility, I should think they would continue to manufacture the adapter.
Twice now it has disappeared from Pentaximaging.com and the Pentax Web Store. The price had gone from $31.99 to $21.99 in what seemed like a clearance move to me. After it disappeared the first time it briefly reappeared on the Pentax Web Store, B&H didn't get any of that stock.
09-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #90
Banned

I pre-ordered the FF $3,300 Sony NEX-VG900 to use with my many Pentax lenses with low cost PK-NEX adapters in 24mp FF Raw still mode and 1080p60/24 HD video mode. It has a shutter speed range of 30-1/8000 sec in still mode that is wider than the Nikon D600. My
SMC Pentax-M 20mm F4 is ultra wide in FF and a not so wide 30mm eqiv in APS-C.