Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
Forum Member

Upgrading from K-x to K-30 or K-5

Hey there everyone,

So I am looking to upgrade from my K-x. I've loved the K-x, and have really enjoyed it, but it's time to upgrade for me.

Right now I'm looking at either getting a K-30 or K-5 (original not ii)

My thinking is that the K-5 ii isn't enough of a jump for me to justify the extra $, considering the great price on the K-5 now, and the great price on the k-30 as well.

I do shoot a decent amount of video as well, nothing crazy but some short films and such. I've pushed the K-x to the absolute limit of it's video capabilities. The K-5's limited video controls/capabilities is what is keeping me from pulling the trigger on the K-5.

So, at this juncture I'm taking suggestions from you all. K-5? K-30? stick it out with the K-x?

(A quick note, I actually just ordered the K-30 from amazon, as it is currently priced at $748 with 18-55 lens, sold directly from/shipped from Amazon. But I can always return if I change my mind, just wanted to jump on the deal)

Thanks!

09-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't see you going wrong either way. The K30 is a fine WR camera as an upgrade from your K-x. There will be lots of improvements to marvel over. Enjoy.
09-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

it's nice to get a WR body, 100% viewfinder, high resolution LCD screen, and the better video capability of the K-30, in my opinion, compared with the K-x. The advantages of the K-5 include the ability to use a battery grip and the really quiet shutter, as well as the magnesium alloy body. But you can't go wrong with either choice. Have fun shooting!
09-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #4

and don't forget to share your opinion when you get the camera

09-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
it's nice to get a WR body, 100% viewfinder, high resolution LCD screen, and the better video capability of the K-30, in my opinion, compared with the K-x. The advantages of the K-5 include the ability to use a battery grip and the really quiet shutter, as well as the magnesium alloy body. But you can't go wrong with either choice. Have fun shooting!
+1 on each particular. I have both the K-x and K-5 and thought about the K-30, handled several, etc. and ultimately decided to wait. That said, if you don't want/need/desire a grip the K-30 is a hard camera beat. The DxO review had as a con that its not quite up to the K-5 in it has "A dynamic range slightly inferior to that of the Pentax K-5" Given that the DR of the K-5 was king of the hill that is not a con at all for a lower-level offering IMHO.
09-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Go with the K-30. It focuses better over the K-5.
09-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Go with the K-30. It focuses better over the K-5.
I agree.
09-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #8

Personnaly, I'ld like to have a second camera ( to not change always the lens...). Now I 've a Kx and I'm really very happy with it. Sure, I know also that new products are always a little better. but that it's a game without end..When I started to take pictures, I kept my Canon Ftb for 35 years....So my question is ....Do you think that the fact to buy a other Kx body...(.You can find it now quite new for less of 300 euros )... is necesseraly a bad choice...? ) Your opinion,please...Thanks.

09-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If you do not feel you need something more/better/different then I'd say it's not a bad idea. I can keep on shooting with my K-30 in much lower light condition than I can with K-x. That's one on the main reasons I upgraded. Better ISO handling being another.

If those things do not matter to you then I'd say go with the K-x. I would still use my K-x and not have bought K-30 if it wasn't for wedding photography. Weddings put you and the camera to a test and it was clear to me, the K-x to me wasn't up for that kind of job in certain conditions. I needed a camera that was reliable across the board - currently, K-30 is that camera.

I might have something like 70.000 exposures on my K-x - I used it well
09-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #10

Thank you Zafar Iqbal for your answer.
09-20-2012, 01:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I just upgraded from a K-x to a K5...

K5 just 'feels' like a better camera... The increase in IQ is vast - detail in shadowy areas a massive improvement over the K-x... AF is faster and fast enough (as yet) for me...
09-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You sound like you don't care about 1.1 EV Dynamic Range difference, so get a K-30, I say.
I personally would wait(ing) for the K-5 II test results.
09-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I have a k-x equiped with 45 degree split focusing screen and KPS 1.3x eyepiece. It's a very good tool for learning photography, especially with those old manual lenses. I simply love it! I shoot pretty much everything in RAW, and processed in LR. I'm happy with it for now.

Price of K5 and new stuff of K30 are very tempting, but I think I'll wait for K5II(s) and see if it's really good and worth upgrading.

It's kind of "I need" and "I want" situation. Everybody likes to have new stuff, but do we really need it. I feel I really need quiet shutter (sometimes), but is it a good (enough) reason for a K5? no. Just a thought...

Enjoy shooting!

Last edited by ULong; 09-20-2012 at 07:43 AM.
09-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
So I received my K-30 yesterday (have to love Amazon 1 day prime shipping) and I only got to play with it a bit, but so far I'm extremely happy with my decision.

I've been doing more "professional" photography, so I can't wait to use it on a real shoot and see how it performs.

Now to find a new home for the K-x
09-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
Inactive Account

K30

So what do you think about the shutter sound compare to K-x? quieter or pretty much the same? Thx.