Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2008, 05:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This can't be good

Greetings all. Hope someone here can explain this one to me. Until now whenever I open my sd card on my computer to view my photos, all the file names show as "IMGPxxxx (where x = a number). Today however when I opened my sd card I notied the file names showed "_IGPxxxx" instead. What on earth would cause this? Is this evidence that my camera, a K10 (one year old this month) is about to fail? It's not just doing this on one sd card either. It does it on both, and one is only a month old. Not sure that matters, but I thought I'd include that tidbit anyway. Suggestions/explanations appreciated.

02-02-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Actually it is. you have changed to adobe color space from RGb, this is better for image processing
02-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you happen change the Color Space in the Custom Settings from sRGB to AdobeRGB?

Straight from P129 of the Pentax K10D user manual:

"File names differ depending on the color space setting as show below.
For sRGB : IMGPxxxx.JPG
For AdobeRGB : _IGPxxxx.JPG
[xxxx] is the file number and numbering continues from the last stored file number"
02-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #4

Original Poster
Okay, I see. Lesson learned, check manual first. Got it. I did make that change awhile back and these are the first photos I've taken since then. Now I feel silly. And, if you wouldn't mind, could you answer one more question for me? My last picture was numbered 5464. I've had my camera now for one year. Is there any number of pictures per year that is considered "average"? I guess I just want a sense of what is considered "heavy" usage per month or year. Again, thanks.

02-02-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think average is based on the type of photography. With landscape I tend to take fewer shots but general travel photography I bank thousands of shots per trip. I've managed 30k or so now in less than a year. Of course not all were keepers.
02-02-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've had mine since september and just crossed the 5k mark. And unless you know digital device color management, I'd stick to sRGB rather than Adobe RGB. When I worked in a photolab, AdobeRGB caused havok on the printing end.
02-02-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ecce38 Quote
Okay, I see. Lesson learned, check manual first. Got it. I did make that change awhile back and these are the first photos I've taken since then. Now I feel silly. And, if you wouldn't mind, could you answer one more question for me? My last picture was numbered 5464. I've had my camera now for one year. Is there any number of pictures per year that is considered "average"? I guess I just want a sense of what is considered "heavy" usage per month or year. Again, thanks.
pick a number between 1000 and 100,000 and I'm sure someone will say it is average.

I saw an article a while back that depicted the average photographer as one who took shots on special occasions and then 500 or so on a family vacation. maybe 1500 or so during the year.

I have to admit, I was like that with film, but shoot more now than I did, because storage is cheap, and because even with the *istD, what you could do with that camera put film to shame, especially low light. presently I shoot about 10,000-12,000 split between my P&S which I use for work, my *istD and my K10D
02-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
pick a number between 1000 and 100,000 and I'm sure someone will say it is average.
I believe 100,000,000 per year is about the maximum at 3fps

02-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've found that color space really doesn't matter, so long as your camera, your computer, your monitor, and your printer all agree.

I passed the 10,000 mark after about 8 months, and have taken about 7,000 in the six months since then.
02-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #10
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I believe 100,000,000 per year is about the maximum at 3fps
In the words of Larry the Cable Guy,

"Now, that there was funny. I don't care who you are."
02-02-2008, 08:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
I've found that color space really doesn't matter, so long as your camera, your computer, your monitor, and your printer all agree.

Therein lies the problem- most (cheap) commercial printers (walmart, costco, ritz, etc) are sRGB. Like I said, if you know what you're doing it's great, but if you don't it can lead to headaches.