Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Walking into a fanboy argument here should have been expected, I guess.
Not really a fanboy argument, someone brought up the point of weather resistance, which if that is important to the buyer they need to think of the total cost involved to get that weather resistance and if they are willing and able to pay for it.

Calling someone a fanboy for stating the simple fact that Pentax is the cheaper way to get into a weather sealed system is rather silly.

09-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The two bodies are weather resistant. Period. They both need lenses that are weather resistant also. When used with said weather resistant lenses, there is weather resistance to the package.

Costs do not negate the D7000's weather resistance.

Walking into a fanboy argument here should have been expected, I guess.
I don't think your use of the pejorative "fanboy" is really justified here. It's a word that implies slavish and unthinking devotion to something that the person concerned has only a shallow understanding of. It also suggests a faddish nature. None of the regular posters here could really be described in such dismissive terms. They may be dedicated to the Pentax platform, but that arises from years of experience (often with other systems, as well) and from a deep understanding of the capabilities and faults of the equipment.

You make good points in your arguments, which can get lost when gratuitous insults like "fanboy" are injected into them.
09-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #33
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I don't think your use of the pejorative "fanboy" is really justified here. It's a word that implies slavish and unthinking devotion to something that the person concerned has only a shallow understanding of. It also suggests a faddish nature. None of the regular posters here could really be described in such dismissive terms. They may be dedicated to the Pentax platform, but that arises from years of experience (often with other systems, as well) and from a deep understanding of the capabilities and faults of the equipment.

You make good points in your arguments, which can get lost when gratuitous insults like "fanboy" are injected into them.
I think you should equally focus on blatant lies that are Pentax-biased.

Again, as my first post stated here, I outlined the good points that brought me to Pentax, but then came in the lies about the D7000 not being water resistant and straw man arguments.
09-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
lies about the D7000 not being water resistant
Do you seriously think someone purposely stated that the D7000 was not weather sealed while knowing for a fact that it is?

09-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Do you seriously think someone purposely stated that the D7000 was not weather sealed while knowing for a fact that it is?
I really wish you hadn't quote him, I have him on ignore, and wish I did not know he accused me of lying intentionally. I explained to him but he seems incapable of reasoned, rational, adult discourse.
09-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #36
Veteran Member

On the subject of weatherproof Nikon lenses
The rather cheap Nikon 18-70 F3.5 -4.5 has an amount of weather sealing. Its not a full weather seal but its sealed around the base to prevent water ingression of the body. Combined with a UV filter its fairly weather proof. There is another benafit to genuine full weather sealed lenses. I kind of discovered it when a friend left his camera in my studio. I went down the studio with him next day to collect his camera. Mine was right next to his. His was just a cheap consumer lens where mine was a pro weather proof job. Overnight, his lens had misted over on the inside rather badly while mine was fine. I had never even thought about it before but that could be a poss problem for those working in certain climates etc. Its odd how Nikon says so little about there weather proofing.
09-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you should equally focus on blatant lies that are Pentax-biased.

Again, as my first post stated here, I outlined the good points that brought me to Pentax, but then came in the lies about the D7000 not being water resistant and straw man arguments.
No problems there, but I was merely saying that unhelpful language doesn't support your position, but can cause others to ignore it. Obviously, though, it's your call as to how you say things.

09-20-2012, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

The two bodies are weather resistant. Period.
I understand your "Period" is not justified.

The D7000 has some minimal sealing whereas the K-5 not only has a much better built quality overall but much more comprehensive sealing.

Roger Cicala from lensrentals dismantled a D7000 and didn't find much metal nor sealing.

The D7000 has many things going for it but to claim it is as weather-resistant as a K-5 is not justified.
09-21-2012, 12:55 AM   #39
Banned

That was in the comments. Incidentally, check out how the sealing of the E5 is. It has been also reported to have mating surfaces between parts more along the lines of tongue in groove joints, rather than gasketing in certain areas.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

The D7000 has some minimal sealing whereas the K-5 not only has a much better built quality overall but much more comprehensive sealing.

Roger Cicala from lensrentals dismantled a D7000 and didn't find much metal nor sealing.

The D7000 has many things going for it but to claim it is as weather-resistant as a K-5 is not justified.
09-21-2012, 02:58 AM   #40
Veteran Member

As for how well the K5 waterproofing goes.... there are pics on this site some where taken underwater at the swimming baths ! How much weatherproofing is enough.
09-21-2012, 03:20 AM   #41
Banned

There are also pics of people with water inside, here, as well as on DPR. Doing tests like that means little to me. If the cam was disassembled later, then we can talk.

Incidentally, I've read that Pentax's seals are not solid ones, rather porous ones to allow the escape of moisture from inside the body. Something to think about.
09-21-2012, 05:42 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

Nice article. I found this quote in the discussion section after the article rather interesting too:
"Nikons don’t break more frequently than Canons, but repairs take longer (3 weeks average compared to 10 days, which means increased lost revenue) "
09-21-2012, 06:14 AM   #43
Veteran Member

When I was covering the grand National not so long ago, I noticed a bit of a change in the press room. It has always been dominated by Nikon. Between races we all dash back sending our pics off on the laptops. Cameras get dumped in the middle of the long tressle like tables. I was using Nikon but also I tried out the K5 on a few. Needless to say I was the only Pentax owner lol.
What did occur to me though was the fact that every camera I could see was a Cannon. Im guessing there was around 60 of us covering this major event. Im guessing it was about 90% cannon. I noticed one of the guys I know well had switched from Nikon to cannon. I asked him how come the change. He simply said the cannon were more reliable. I did not have the time for any further investigation lol. There was no doubt that cannon played by far the most dominant role though !
09-21-2012, 06:22 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
When I was covering the grand National not so long ago, I noticed a bit of a change in the press room. It has always been dominated by Nikon. Between races we all dash back sending our pics off on the laptops. Cameras get dumped in the middle of the long tressle like tables. I was using Nikon but also I tried out the K5 on a few. Needless to say I was the only Pentax owner lol.
What did occur to me though was the fact that every camera I could see was a Cannon. Im guessing there was around 60 of us covering this major event. Im guessing it was about 90% cannon. I noticed one of the guys I know well had switched from Nikon to cannon. I asked him how come the change. He simply said the cannon were more reliable. I did not have the time for any further investigation lol. There was no doubt that cannon played by far the most dominant role though !
Well, it seems you get them back sooner if they do break. I think the folks at LensRentals.Com are pretty honest and forthright in their blog. They talk about things that I would understand if they just ignored. They own hundreds of cameras and their take is that neither is more reliable than the other, but Nikon really did not help themselves by restricting spare parts sales to their own network and disenfranchising independent repair shops.
09-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Well, it seems you get them back sooner if they do break. I think the folks at LensRentals.Com are pretty honest and forthright in their blog. They talk about things that I would understand if they just ignored. They own hundreds of cameras and their take is that neither is more reliable than the other, but Nikon really did not help themselves by restricting spare parts sales to their own network and disenfranchising independent repair shops.
You could be right. If that is the case then Nikon are certainly shooting themselves in the foot because it was a cannon landslide. There was photographers from just about every national newspaper and magazine there. One thing made me smile that day though. As I was downloading my images I heard one guy say to another, why didnt you take that shot ! The shot he was refering too at the time which was showing on the screen and was shot with the K5. Plus i was asked twice what was that camera next to the Nikon. I fell short of saying it tells you on the front lol. Both of them simply asked... any good ! So i just said well the pics seem impressive enough.