Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got to say I love my K5, but I think I've made my mind up to retire my trustworthy K20d (keeping the K10 though) and adding the K5IIs in November.

09-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Since you've given up on Canon anyways, is PKTether not good enough to keep using as a tethering option?
I use pktether. But it's not integrated with Nebulosity (astrophotography software) so I can't take advantage of the manual focusing assistant and some other minor Nebulosity features. It's a manageable limitation.
09-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mark lj Quote
I've been pondering a move to Nikon for a while - in particular the D800e. However, after giving it much thought I'm staying with Pentax. The prime lenses are just too nice. Compact, great build quality and incredibly sharp. If the 'S' version reviews well then I'll be going for it. I only take landscapes so would be just about perfect for my needs. How many of us need to print pictures 6 feet wide? And how many of us really reach the limits of the cameras abilities. I think a lot of the ff wish list is down to a wee bit of an inferiority complex. DoF and noise might be better but everything I do is on a tripod and in the region of f11 at low ISO. I've only been doing it for two and a half years anyway and couldn't really justify spending £3k on a body and another £4k or £5k on lenses to give me a decent range.
DOF isn't "better" but shallower. That means that you have to use one stop smaller aperture on FF for the same DOF; not a plus in any photographers book.
The extra DOF and shorter close focusing distances of APS is definitely a huge plus for landscape shooters. So are the shorter focal lenghts for the same magnification and lighter and smaller equipment.
09-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
The Pentax K-5 II / K-5 IIs Report - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Main page of the forum - but I guess Adam hasn't created a thread for it yet.
Thanks ... got it !

09-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #20

Canon can sell the 7d for years on end. The new k5 addresses some of the few shortcomings of the camera. I think it's an ok move. It's not like Sony is offering radically improved sensors. They can come out with a new camera when the next sensor breakthrough comes out.
What about the new 24MP Sony? And no, I don't mean just for more megapixels. Although it initially had a pretty poor reputation, once it was out from behind Sony's silly translucent mirrors (in the Nikon D3200, and I think one of the recently-released NEXs) it offers higher resolution (for big prints, if nothing else) at performance at least equivalent to the Sony 16MP sensor being used in the K5, K01, K30 and now K5 II.
09-20-2012, 11:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrCynical Quote
What about the new 24MP Sony? And no, I don't mean just for more megapixels. Although it initially had a pretty poor reputation, once it was out from behind Sony's silly translucent mirrors (in the Nikon D3200, and I think one of the recently-released NEXs) it offers higher resolution (for big prints, if nothing else) at performance at least equivalent to the Sony 16MP sensor being used in the K5, K01, K30 and now K5 II.
It's a fine sensor, but each has it's advantages. The 24 is not a dramatically improved sensor. Most lenses don't resolve high enough to take advantage of the 24, and 16 has the advantage in sports.
09-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I have been thinkig also a lot of astroshooting, so cam W/o (AA) and improved ISO(from K-5) is huge + factor for me. Not to mention better accuracy with focusing with fast lenses...

09-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #23
Veteran Member

If and when I buy another dSLR it will be full frame, not a half baked rehash of an existing dslr.
09-21-2012, 03:52 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
it will be full frame, not a half baked rehash of an existing dslr
Evolutionary product improvements are par for the course. Why is that a surprise? Look at the history of every camera brand - eg 550D/600D/60D/7D - all on basically the same 18MP sensor. Not every DSLR model jump is as dramatic as that from a K-5 or D7000 to a D800.

At least Pentax are doing something new to their hardware - some bodies (eg the 5D2 or D700 or 7D) stayed unchanged for years in their manufacturers lineup.
09-21-2012, 04:21 AM   #25
Pentaxian

+1

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Evolutionary product improvements are par for the course. Why is that a surprise? Look at the history of every camera brand - eg 550D/600D/60D/7D - all on basically the same 18MP sensor. Not every DSLR model jump is as dramatic as that from a K-5 or D7000 to a D800.

At least Pentax are doing something new to their hardware - some bodies (eg the 5D2 or D700 or 7D) stayed unchanged for years in their manufacturers lineup.
What I could add, is that it is not half baked...
09-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #26
Veteran Member

It's a fine sensor, but each has it's advantages. The 24 is not a dramatically improved sensor. Most lenses don't resolve high enough to take advantage of the 24, and 16 has the advantage in sports.
But a 24mp without AA filter might have been better then 16mp without AA because more pixels means less changes of moire effecting your photo.