Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Im a glutton for punishment, I guess. I'll be in line for the K-5 IIs

I have a K-5, but I'm one of the people who has been wanting a better/faster auto focus, and if what they say is true, the IIs will be more accurate, and faster, and not having the AA filter, should have sharper, higher resolution pics. I'm probably throwing money away, but I'll learn the hard way. My photography business is finally taking off and I will be coming into some expendable money during the month of October. I battled with myself back and forth on wether to go or the new IIs or, save for that beaut of a lens... Sigma 300 f/2.8, and I think I'll go with the new body. It'll put money in my pocket & the lens would just be for fun. I get paid to shoot weddings & portraits, not football games. I do that for free on the side, for my own enjoyment. Anywho.... Wish me luck.

09-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Canon can sell the 7d for years on end. The new k5 addresses some of the few shortcomings of the camera. I think it's an ok move. It's not like Sony is offering radically improved sensors. They can come out with a new camera when the next sensor breakthrough comes out.
09-20-2012, 12:23 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Im looking forward to using my Siggy 70-200 f/2.8 HSM on that new body. I think it's going to be ridiculously fast. Or at least I can hope, right ? Plus I like the small improvement on the back LCD. That's been a small complaint of mine. Not major, but who wouldn't want a better, more accurate LCD ? I've read that it's supposed to be brighter, and more accurate in its previews. Honestly, all in all, I'm just really hoping this new body kills my Nikon temptations. For the past couple months I've been flirting with the D7000. I know mechanically speaking the K-5 is identical to the 7000, but I like the faster AF on the Nikon, and lenses are easier to buy/rent. Granted... I think they're more expensive bc the Optical stabilization lenses are pretty much a MUST, since how they don't offer sensor shift stabilization like Pentax. That's really my only bash on the D7000. I don't think I'll ever go FF, because I don't need it, and I think it's a money pit. I like the fact that my 70-200 is actually a 105-300. That saves me a boatload of cash, compared to having a full frame & actually having to buy a 300 mm lens. I'm rambling now. Point being... I hope this AF performs as well as Nikon supposedly does. I need this camera to save me from jumping ship. I don't have a WHOLE lot invested in my Pentax gear, but to swap to Nikon, and have the exact same lenses, battery grip, flash... That I have now, I'd be out of pocket about $3,500. So, Pentax... C'mon don't let me down ha ha.
09-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Once the camera arrives, be sure to post some photos and give us your impressions OP.
I'm curious about all the new tech in the IIs.

09-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm in line for it too. We can be buddies!

All I want is that improved AF. The k-5 is practically perfect for me otherwise.
09-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-7 is getting old, having trouble with some things, I'm pondering between K-5II and (s). But I'll be in line too
09-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've been pondering a move to Nikon for a while - in particular the D800e. However, after giving it much thought I'm staying with Pentax. The prime lenses are just too nice. Compact, great build quality and incredibly sharp. If the 'S' version reviews well then I'll be going for it. I only take landscapes so would be just about perfect for my needs. How many of us need to print pictures 6 feet wide? And how many of us really reach the limits of the cameras abilities. I think a lot of the ff wish list is down to a wee bit of an inferiority complex. DoF and noise might be better but everything I do is on a tripod and in the region of f11 at low ISO. I've only been doing it for two and a half years anyway and couldn't really justify spending £3k on a body and another £4k or £5k on lenses to give me a decent range.

09-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If I can get it at the price I want locally, I'll have a IIs. Otherwise... well, order online! haha!
09-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Just saw the preliminary report from PF on the k-5ii. I'm sold!

AF-C and switching between subjects, and the k-5ii gets all but one in focus, while the k-5 misses a bunch.
That back LCD being a lot less reflective, and also recessed (which I can only assume helps the WR).
The comment on how the k-5ii seems to be a damn lot sharper...

I'm glad I waited for the k-5ii after the k-30.
09-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Just saw the preliminary report from PF on the k-5ii. I'm sold! AF-C and switching between subjects, and the k-5ii gets all but one in focus, while the k-5 misses a bunch.
Where is that info ... ?

Thanks,

JP
09-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Where is that info ... ?

Thanks,

JP
The Pentax K-5 II / K-5 IIs Report - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Main page of the forum - but I guess Adam hasn't created a thread for it yet.
09-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

My feelings are very much the same here. Not speed though. The K5 is plenty quick. I just want smaller focus points so I can focus the thing where I actualy need to focus. My biggest issue is the totally unreliable flash exposures. Unresponsive firmware is another issue. The focus will be improved for sure but still pretty hopeless if its still using those dinnerplates for focus sensors though. I feel the firmware will be sorted much better in the K5 2. It will be an improvement thats for sure. I cant wait to see propper full reviews.
09-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Since I posted I've received news of a bit of a windfall so I will almost certainly be doing an about turn...
09-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I'm looking forward to a K5iis.

My thought process: My ideal camera would be made by Canon due to software compatibility (specifically, tethering in Nebulosity 3). Unfortunately, tethering is all Canon has going for it IMO; their top end APS-C is outdated, the 6D made too many compromises to reach the $2100 full frame price point, and the 5Diii is more than I want to spend. Nikon has the very tempting D600, but Nebulosity doesn't tether Nikon either, so it's not worth spending an extra $800 for the body + $lenses.

The K5iis therefore looks like the best combination of image quality and cost for me. I will abandon tethering and use a different workflow. And I'll remain flexible; reviews, software updates, etc. might change my mind. My birthday rolls around 2 weeks after the K5iis is due to be released so I'll have time to evaluate reviews before committing.
09-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I'm looking forward to a K5iis.

My thought process: My ideal camera would be made by Canon due to software compatibility (specifically, tethering in Nebulosity 3). Unfortunately, tethering is all Canon has going for it IMO; their top end APS-C is outdated, the 6D made too many compromises to reach the $2100 full frame price point, and the 5Diii is more than I want to spend. Nikon has the very tempting D600, but Nebulosity doesn't tether Nikon either, so it's not worth spending an extra $800 for the body + $lenses.

The K5iis therefore looks like the best combination of image quality and cost for me. I will abandon tethering and use a different workflow. And I'll remain flexible; reviews, software updates, etc. might change my mind. My birthday rolls around 2 weeks after the K5iis is due to be released so I'll have time to evaluate reviews before committing.
Since you've given up on Canon anyways, is PKTether not good enough to keep using as a tethering option?