Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Forum Member

K5 Super

So yes great!!

Finally Pentax has decided to release the all new Pentax digital camera for 2012. The wait is coming to an end, and soon camera stores all over who are authorized to sell Pentax will be shelving these remarkable devices, but was the wait well worth it?
Itís been two years since Pentax released a DSLR in a Mid/Advanced user segment only to unveil a camera that looks and praforms allot like the K5 with a few upgrades.

Now, I like the design of the K7/K5 camera, I personally think it was a good move to keep the rugged durable camera body that I can use throughout the four seasons.

Never having to worry if itís going to rain while I strap on my camera during an event, or on a vacation is a huge plus deciding I use any of my weather sealed lenses.

The K5 has been a strong competitor when put against other rivals in its segment, and even reviewed allot better in performance and quality which makes it a camera worth acquiring.

But after two years praising the K5, and wishing for Pentax to come out with that FF model all Pentaxarians have been waiting for, are your surprised thatís all Pentax has decided to release in this segment?

I would expect with the financial backing from Ricoh there would be a huge upgrade for a K5 predecessor, especially after two years of success with the K5.

When you think about it and Iím sure people in this forum has already said it, but all the K5 II/s is, is just a K5 Super which I don't see it a problem especially for those who have not acquired a K5, but would like one.

But those of you who have a K5, and love its top notch performance, are you thinking or deciding to get the latest upgrade Pentax has patiently released after two years? And if so was the wait worth it?

09-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take a look here for specs etc. on the K-5 II and II/s. They have a new af system different than the old K-5 and the K-30.

The Pentax K-5 II / K-5 IIs Report - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
09-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I am taking a wait and see lots of full reviews approach but I'm very interested in the K5IIs and if the money is there next year I'm likely to buy one.
09-20-2012, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

From the information available so far I am not inclined to spend the money to upgrade my k-5.
Once reviews start to occur and a significant improvement in sharpness and AF speed/accuracy is proven then I might take a second look.
I don't believe I am the only k-5 user who is very satisfied with the AF and IQ of my k-5 classic.

If Pentax had just gone one step further and included the processor and peaking of the k-30 I would have immediaty pre- ordered one.

09-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I will wait for a few detailed reviews, but I expect to replace one of my K-5's with the K-5IIs. The autofocus will be the key improvement for my concert work, but I am also keen to see how much sharper it is.
Next year, or whenever the *real* flagship is released (be it full frame or pro-level APS-C) I expect I will move my other K-5 on.
09-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My K5 is doing fine.

I don't mind getting the K5IIs for all its improvements.
However, since the K5 is still doing so well, I can afford to wait till CP+ next year.
For me, the advantages of waiting will be:
1. More reviews will be out to confirm the improvements
2. Likely a slightly lower price for the K5IIs by the time its CP+
3. See if a higher end DSLR or MILC comes out by then.
09-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
If Pentax had just gone one step further and included the processor and peaking of the k-30 I would have immediaty pre- ordered one.
Those were my thoughts exactly. Sad that an older "mid-level body" has critically useful features like focus peaking and advanced video controls, while the new "flagship" does not. I was also hoping for dual SD card slots or at least UHS-1 support...
09-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I only wanted a few things from an improved K5, based on which I would have immediately ordered the camera, reviews be darned:

1. Smaller AF points; I could have lived with the number and sensitivity of the points. Frankly, I think the -3EV will turn out to be a gimmick.
2. Improved video controls and encoding.
3. Focus peaking.
4. Prime M.
5. A higher sync speed.

Anything else would have been a bonus as I really like the camera's build, ergonomics, and sensor. I don't think any of these features were very difficult to implement, especially over two years and especially while being included in a "lesser" model.

09-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Once reviews start to occur and a significant improvement in sharpness and AF speed/accuracy is proven then I might take a second look.
I don't believe I am the only k-5 user who is very satisfied with the AF and IQ of my k-5 classic.

I would have to agree better image quality, and quicker auto focus is a big plus in any camera upgrade, and I'm also quite interested in the actual end user reviews along with results in how this camera preforms.

But I have to admit with financial backing from Ricoh, I expected a bigger upgrade with allot more enhancements especially after two years, but it just seems that an old idea was made better instead of a whole new innovation.

Though... we are in a mist of an economic tsunami that is changing the political structure of the world, and everyone is doing what they can by tightening their belts and saving in case of the inevitable.
09-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm going to wait for the gold edition of the K5IIs. Joking aside...I am curious about the sharpness of the S version. I couldn't care less about the AF.
09-21-2012, 01:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Well most of my images are sports and I use high-iso (3200-6400) a lot. I think the next camera would likely have 24mp (aps-c), so the 16mp K-5 II (or the s) is my choice.
09-25-2012, 12:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm with you here....

I'm still using my Kr and i think i will STILL continue to use it... Until it dies, i guess.. LOL!

If only the K5iis were everything that the K-30 is plus more, i would have launched into a hunger strike to cough up the money...
But oh well..

*Looks at my Kr, it's just you and me once again babeh~*