Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2012, 04:19 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, if you want a lens like that, you could just get the Sigma 300mm f2.8 prime for 3400 dollars.

In all truthfulness, long lenses have been the place where Pentax has been lacking for awhile. If you want "cheap" telephoto longer than 300mm, the only options are the Sigma 500mm zooms. I do think the Sigma 120-300 is a pretty niche lens. It's just going to be a huge lens, requiring a very sturdy tripod, with a Gimbal head and decent technique in order to get decent photos. Still, if you really want a lens like this, you are probably best off getting a camera you can mount it on. Probably go for a D800. With the combination it probably would run you about 6000 dollars, but it is probably worth it, if you need the glass.

09-21-2012, 06:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I deal with it by using something besides a digital lens. Don't get me wrong I like the convenience of a digital lens as much as the next person but if I really want to reach a range I can't find in digital I just go manual. Sure, I'd like it if Pentax, Tamron and Sigma covered everything that I'd like to do with a digital lens I could afford, but often even when they do I can't afford anyhow. What's the old phrase, something about motherhood and necessity and invention? There are so many MF already lenses out there that it's not that hard. I just have to be willing to skip the AF that's all...
09-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My longest lens is 60-250mm at 250mm reach. with F4,it is pretty difficult to shoot it handheld (when traveling if I set up tripod every time, others will have to wait for me) already.
The next long lens, if I were to get it, will be the 300mm prime. But zoom lenses are more flexible so I am waiting to see what is the DA telezoom (appear 100+mm - 300+mm) on the road map, however this is not a DA* lens.
09-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I deal with it by using something besides a digital lens. Don't get me wrong I like the convenience of a digital lens as much as the next person but if I really want to reach a range I can't find in digital I just go manual. Sure, I'd like it if Pentax, Tamron and Sigma covered everything that I'd like to do with a digital lens I could afford, but often even when they do I can't afford anyhow. What's the old phrase, something about motherhood and necessity and invention? There are so many MF already lenses out there that it's not that hard. I just have to be willing to skip the AF that's all...
This is along the lines of what I would've said. Pentax does have some (one?) advantage over the other brands, and that's the combination of in-body stabilization with the large library of K-mount lenses usable on their DSLRs. Leverage that advantage and you might be less unhappy. I am content with manual focusing and green button metering and thus have opened up my lens collection for much less money than a comparative modern lens collection. (but I will admit that my lens collection is extremely small compared to most on PF)

09-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by markl62 Quote
The good thing about having a K5 with built in IS, means you don't really need a OS version of that lens. So you should be able to pick up non OS for $6-700.
The OS version is a much better lens optically.
09-21-2012, 07:02 AM - 6 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Isnwm Quote
I'm probably not alone when I say that I'm getting more increasingly disgruntled and peeved at the lack of respect that Pentax camera get, and consequently the lack of lens options we have. I got so excited when I saw the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8
A "disgruntled Pentax owner" indeed...

So, let me get this straight, in July of 2012 you introduce yourself, stating " I am a beginner, living in Austin, Tx. I just bought my Pentax K-5 about 2 weeks ago. I have the kit lens 18-55, a tamron 28-300 3.5-5.6, Pentax A50mm/2.0, Zenitar 16mm. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby."

In the months following we see you buy a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM Macro II and sell it almost instantly, get rid of the Pentax 18-55 DA WR, the Sigma 70-300 DL 3.5-5.6 macro, the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 AF SP Di macro, a Pentax SMC FA 50mm F/1.4, a Mitakon 85mm f/2.0, a Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0 as well as hunting for a DA*50-135mm.

Barely a few months later you "have to talk myself down off the proverbial ledge. Everyday I tell myself "just do it... Sell it all, and get a 7D or a D7000" because you lament the lack of K-Mount options?

Why in the blazes would you want or need a Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 or even know what to do with it once you would get it? Why would anyone here take this spoiled-brat whining seriously and add to the negativity that's been floating around so much lately?

Well, read my lips: go get a Nikon or Canon, please!
09-21-2012, 07:15 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
A "disgruntled Pentax owner" indeed...

So, let me get this straight, in July of 2012 you introduce yourself, stating " I am a beginner, living in Austin, Tx. I just bought my Pentax K-5 about 2 weeks ago. I have the kit lens 18-55, a tamron 28-300 3.5-5.6, Pentax A50mm/2.0, Zenitar 16mm. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby."

In the months following we see you buy a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM Macro II and sell it almost instantly, get rid of the Pentax 18-55 DA WR, the Sigma 70-300 DL 3.5-5.6 macro, the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 AF SP Di macro, a Pentax SMC FA 50mm F/1.4, a Mitakon 85mm f/2.0, a Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0 as well as hunting for a DA*50-135mm.

Barely a few months later you "have to talk myself down off the proverbial ledge. Everyday I tell myself "just do it... Sell it all, and get a 7D or a D7000" because you lament the lack of K-Mount options?

Why in the blazes would you want or need a Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 or even know what to do with it once you would get it? Why would anyone here take this spoiled-brat whining seriously and add to the negativity that's been floating around so much lately?

Well, read my lips: go get a Nikon or Canon, please!
*cough*

I'm not a professional, and I shoot as a hobby. However, I do know the distinct advantages my 70-200 2.8 gives over my 70-200 4.5-5.6. So, even as a hobbyist, one can appreciate really good glass - or the lack thereof in a certain range.

On the other hand, I think the DA* 60-250 F4 is a better lens than the 120-300 because of the wide end and the WR, while the single stop is mostly mitigated by the fact that the k-5's high ISO is so good. Except maybe the AF. Sigma's high end HSM is pretty sexy.

I think the complaint shouldn't be so much: "Man, it sucks that the 120-300 isn't in Pentax k", but more that "Man, I hope this isn't a trend".
09-21-2012, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I'm not a professional, and I shoot as a hobby. However, I do know the distinct advantages my 70-200 2.8 gives over my 70-200 4.5-5.6. So, even as a hobbyist, one can appreciate really good glass - or the lack thereof in a certain range.
So am I (a hobbyist) and so do I (know the advantages), but this is a self-admitted beginner in photography who has bought and sold more in 3 months than you and I do in 3 years! I'm no longer a beginner but the lack of $3000+ lens option on my chosen camera brand doesn't make me claim "I'm just frustrated & seriously getting to the point of wishing I never bought my K-5" now does it? It's whining by someone who doesn't even have the beginning of an idea what the stuff he's whining about actually means.

09-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
So am I (a hobbyist) and so do I (know the advantages), but this is a self-admitted beginner in photography who has bought and sold more in 3 months than you and I do in 3 years! I'm no longer a beginner but the lack of $3000+ lens option on my chosen camera brand doesn't make me claim "I'm just frustrated & seriously getting to the point of wishing I never bought my K-5" now does it? It's whining by someone who doesn't even have the beginning of an idea what the stuff he's whining about actually means.
Yes - that's understandable, but I do think the underlying (and more important) thought is - hopefully it does not become a trend that Sigma either doesn't release lenses in k-mount, or marks them up because there is no competing lens.

Interestingly enough, if we're going by B&H prices, Sigma lenses for Pentax and Nikon are equal in price. So OP might be a little off there. Grey markets shouldn't really be counted.

Also - OP: Nikon D7000 vs Pentax K-5 - Our Analysis
Advantages of the Nikon D7000:

Significantly more lenses available- 169 lenses vs 90 lenses - Around 90% more lenses available

That.. should have tipped you off a bit.. I knew that and I came into the Pentax system anyways, since I did my research on Pentax lenses.

Last edited by JinDesu; 09-21-2012 at 07:41 AM.
09-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If Ricoh intends on making the Pentax lineup competitive, they're going to have to get third parties to make more lenses. My hunch is that that's what they're going to do alongside the launch of their future FF/pro bodies.
ABSOLUTELY. That has been my point for a while and the release of the 18-270, which we all know is a rebagged Tamron, is the first sign of anything positive on that front in a good while. I am just hoping that they are genuinely making inroads because at this point, as nice as they are, Samyang lenses are not enough beyond Pentax's own offerings for the mount to be a real competitor long-term.
09-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Have you ever actually looked at the sigma and tamron sites? NOT making most of the lenses for Pentax has been business as usual for years.
Thank god I hate auto focus or I might even care.
09-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Have you ever actually looked at the sigma and tamron sites? NOT making most of the lenses for Pentax has been business as usual for years.
Thank god I hate auto focus or I might even care.
Ah...Yes. They have stopped in many regards with ANY releases which IS a change from baseline performance.

Over the past few years we have had several makers stop all together with K-mount releases. The list is rather longish.
09-21-2012, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've never regretted selling off my top of the line Nikon 35mm gear five years ago and going with a Pentax DSLR rig, even for a second. And I only have the lowly old K-x (well.. two actually) and an *istDS for a "point & shoot" substitute. I've never had trouble finding excellent performing, affordable glass from 10-500mm, but I admit some are manual focus film era lenses. No matter... I have no trouble getting tack-sharp, lovely shots from my gear, and I shoot everything from wildlife to macros to scenics to portraits.

Sorry you're disgruntled. I for one, am extremely gruntled.
09-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If Ricoh intends on making the Pentax lineup competitive, they're going to have to get third parties to make more lenses. My hunch is that that's what they're going to do alongside the launch of their future FF/pro bodies.
Well they would have to. Pentax only makes 5 FF lenses...
09-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Slightly off topic but isn't there a ~100-400 lens on the roadmap for 2013?
Closed Thread