Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Isnwm Quote
I'm probably not alone when I say that I'm getting more increasingly disgruntled and peeved at the lack of respect that Pentax camera get, and consequently the lack of lens options we have. I got so excited when I saw the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8... Then my excitement quickly turned to anger and resentment as soon as I saw they don't make it for Pentax. I swear everyday I have to talk myself down off the proverbial ledge. Everyday I tell myself "just do it... Sell it all, and get a 7D or a D7000... Plenty of lens options. Do it." Then I read the comparison reviews and the K-5 beats them both. WHY DO WE HAVE SUPERIOR CAMERA BODIES W/ HORRIBLE lens selection ?!?! We literally don't have ONE 2.8 lens that covers ANYTHING between 200 & 300. NOT ONE ! Why not ?! So our only choices are 70-200 f/2.8 , then go straight to 300 f/2.8 prime. Does sigma not think we would like the flexibility, too ?
With only 3% of the market it seems Sigma doesn't think Pentax is worth making a lot of mounts for them. I notice they make mounts with their inexpensive lenses. Apparently it isn't as simple as slapping a K mount on a lens because the lens elements are slightly closer to the camera with Pentax. Hopefully Pentax will get back up to 6% (I think that is where they were at before Hoya). If I was in charge I wouldn't rest until world domination but I don't pretend to know better than they do.

I do use the 500mm prime and I bet I have sold at least one Sigma lens and a Pentax camera with all the attention I get on flickr. Seach engines outside of flickr can find my photos. If the 3% can do this then it will be back up to the 6%.

09-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #62

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
The old 18-250 came in both Tamron and Pentax versions, didn't it? I think Tamron has just not been making Pentax mounts on new lenses lately, same as Sigma, Voigtlander, etc
Yes, I forgot about the 18-250.

So, it appears a good strategy for Pentax is to go shopping for the best OEM lenses, adapt K mount, add HD coating, badge it PENTAX, and price them competitvely. I can see Tamron, Sigma et. al. be quite happy to sell the guts and let Pentax spend whatever it takes to "K-mount" and market it.

BTW about this thread. Speaking as an amateur (maybe slightly advanced) I can't agree more about mounting one lens and taking a few thousand shots in a few hundred environments. I did this with my 55* and my photographs improved dramatically. I also learned that there is still a lot more to learn - just about the 55. My walkabout lens is the 18-135 and I love it. BUT to really learn, take off the zoom (or stick it on one focal length) and shoot as much as you can in as many different situations as you can. Amateur or pro I think that is a good strategy.
09-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #63
Pentaxian

- I'm going to make a heartfelt apology to this thread, and hopefully clear the air, and put this topic to rest. I love my K-5. It's an amazing piece of machinery. I don't even know why I posted this thread , and wish I hadnt. I'm still trying to find my niche as a photographer, and make up my mind on what area I need to focus more on. I am doing more portraits now, and weddings than anything. Shortly before posting this thread, I shot 3 football games and REALLY enjoyed it. So it had me thinking about just hanging up the portrait stuff and doing nothing but sports and long range stuff. So I started investigating fast long range lenses. I almost immediately stumbled across the 120-300 sigma. I was upset it wasn't available for Pentax, but it still didn't warrant me making this thread. After careful consideration, I set up a gameplan for myself and I've acted accordingly. I'm sticking with portrait work and weddings. I did sell off my sigma 70-200 2.8, and bought the 50-135. In a couple weeks I'll get the matching 16-50. Those will be my work horses. If the 50-135 can do some sports, then great. If its too short, then oh well. I picked up the 80-320 f/4.5-5.6 to do some sports stuff in good lighting. I know it's too slow for night games, but that's fine. It was worth $80. I also have the Rokinon 8mm for fun fisheye stuff. So, I've got all my bases covered. If the day comes that I want to get more serious about sports photography, I'll just get the sigma 300. Again, I apologize to everyone who's read this thread. I was ranting over something that didn't even matter. I like this forum A LOT. The last thing I want to do is be known as the bad egg. That's not me. I'm here to learn as much as I can, and socialize with all of you fellow pentaxians. I hope this clears things up. Thanks.
Are you talking about doing weddings professionally, or do you just get invited to a lot of weddings? This is the same guy that only has had a camera a few months? Nevermind, don't answer that...
09-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Are you talking about doing weddings professionally, or do you just get invited to a lot of weddings? This is the same guy that only has had a camera a few months? Nevermind, don't answer that...
Having a decent camera is kinda like owning a pickup truck in my slice of the world. When you own a pickup truck, suddenly everyone who is moving is your friend. It's the same with owning a decent camera and weddings.

09-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #65
Pentaxian

I was afraid to ask
09-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #66
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Having a decent camera is kinda like owning a pickup truck in my slice of the world. When you own a pickup truck, suddenly everyone who is moving is your friend. It's the same with owning a decent camera and weddings.

Hysterical Been there on both counts.
09-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #67
Inactive Account

Original Poster
wow, I try to make amends on this thread, and almost immediately get 2 people criticizing my photography ability. how and why did that even come into play ? Im not shooting your wedding, or anyone you know, so what difference does it make to either of you ? I dont see how my ability is relevant to anything. Because I havent been shooting for years, im not allowed to shoot formal events ? Everybody started somewhere, right ?
09-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
wow, I try to make amends on this thread, and almost immediately get 2 people criticizing my photography ability. how and why did that even come into play ? Im not shooting your wedding, or anyone you know, so what difference does it make to either of you ? I dont see how my ability is relevant to anything. Because I havent been shooting for years, im not allowed to shoot formal events ? Everybody started somewhere, right ?
Yeah I started out with very limited means and slowly grew into better equipment, but I always made the best of what I had and pushed things to their limits of iq. I don't have any lenses that are great @ 300 and that's about my longest reach. I've learned to work within those confines and I don't have any complaints. You sound like a spoiled brat that gets everything you want. I'm not going to waste my time and look to see if your pictures suck, because with an attitude like that I don't see how they can possibly be good. Go out and take some pictures and learn to work with what you have. If long reach is your thing, pentax has a nice lens they will sell you for 7 grand. A system is something that takes time to put together, to optimize for your style of shooting. If you really needed long zooms, why on earth did you buy a pentax? Also there is the 60-250 that is sharp enough to use with a good teleconverter. Even 1.5 wouldn't be bad. That would give you something like 600mm of eq reach. There are also tons of 400s and 500s out there. The fast ones of course cost an arm and a leg, but nobody said photography was cheap. There are options. Quit your whining or go somewhere else.

09-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Also I really must add that if you think you are capable of shooting formal events, I feel sorry for your clients. Just because you can buy a dslr doesn't make you an instant photographer. Its taken me years to learn and understand what I know and how to operate quickly. So go learn some more and come back when you can act maturely and not take peoples suggestions so personally.
09-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #70
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
Yeah I started out with very limited means and slowly grew into better equipment, but I always made the best of what I had and pushed things to their limits of iq. I don't have any lenses that are great @ 300 and that's about my longest reach. I've learned to work within those confines and I don't have any complaints. You sound like a spoiled brat that gets everything you want. I'm not going to waste my time and look to see if your pictures suck, because with an attitude like that I don't see how they can possibly be good. Go out and take some pictures and learn to work with what you have. If long reach is your thing, pentax has a nice lens they will sell you for 7 grand. A system is something that takes time to put together, to optimize for your style of shooting. If you really needed long zooms, why on earth did you buy a pentax? Also there is the 60-250 that is sharp enough to use with a good teleconverter. Even 1.5 wouldn't be bad. That would give you something like 600mm of eq reach. There are also tons of 400s and 500s out there. The fast ones of course cost an arm and a leg, but nobody said photography was cheap. There are options. Quit your whining or go somewhere else.
I quit whining 2 days ago, but people like you keep beating me over the head because of something that Ive already said, and apologized for. I dont know where yall get the idea that im a spoiled brat ? I buy my own equipment, Im 29 years old, with a six figure job. If thats a brat, then sure. thats me.
09-23-2012, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #71
Pentaxian

09-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Fair enough. If you have a six figure income you can afford all sorts of glass that is long and exotic. I don't see what you are really complaining about. You can get pentax primes at focal lengths past that sigma that will have better iq. Far better. If you want a long zoom get a 50-500 or something. I mean there are plenty of nice options.
09-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Pablom:lol I get a lil snappy sometimes
09-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #74
Pentaxian

I'd take the OP at face value in his/her followups. No need to belabor this.
Closed Thread