Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2008, 11:24 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K10D Hot Shoe Problem

I was shooting a wedding in church today and during the brides dressing my K 10 D's hot shoe rail on the right side came loose and I had to apply counter pressure on the left side the whole day and night to prevent the other side from comming loose! What a nightmare! Has anyone else had or heard of this happening? I'm very upset to say the least! I have a Wedding this comming weekend and not sure what to do. My wife and I are a team and have two k10d's but really cant afford a another camera. We have had problems with penax flashes getting locked on the camera so i suppose it weakened the shoe when I was trying to get it off. I have read numerous people have that problem and I think pentax should pay for overnighting me a another camera so I have this comming weekend! We will see what they say come Monday when I call. Has anyone ever heard of them doing this? Oh these cameras are less than a year old and under warranty. I have to have a camera NOW, This is my business. Oh how is the hot shoe held on? by GLUE???!!

very unhappy Pentax Owner at this point....

02-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by izzyinstl Quote
I was shooting a wedding in church today and during the brides dressing my K 10 D's hot shoe rail on the right side came loose and I had to apply counter pressure on the left side the whole day and night to prevent the other side from comming loose! What a nightmare! Has anyone else had or heard of this happening? I'm very upset to say the least! I have a Wedding this comming weekend and not sure what to do. My wife and I are a team and have two k10d's but really cant afford a another camera. We have had problems with penax flashes getting locked on the camera so i suppose it weakened the shoe when I was trying to get it off. I have read numerous people have that problem and I think pentax should pay for overnighting me a another camera so I have this comming weekend! We will see what they say come Monday when I call. Has anyone ever heard of them doing this? Oh these cameras are less than a year old and under warranty. I have to have a camera NOW, This is my business. Oh how is the hot shoe held on? by GLUE???!!

very unhappy Pentax Owner at this point....

The camera will need to go for repair at some point, but I suspect you don't have the time RIGHT NOW.

I would suggest you could make life easier on the camera by getting an external flash bracket and the remote cable (assuming you have an AF540FGZ)

At least that will take the majority of the stress off the body.

I am surprised that only the right side rail has come loose, because this is not a two piece part but a single shoe that appears to be attached from the undersside, it almost sounds like it is broken, but that digresses from what to do in the interim.
02-03-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The camera will need to go for repair at some point, but I suspect you don't have the time RIGHT NOW.

I would suggest you could make life easier on the camera by getting an external flash bracket and the remote cable (assuming you have an AF540FGZ)

At least that will take the majority of the stress off the body.

I am surprised that only the right side rail has come loose, because this is not a two piece part but a single shoe that appears to be attached from the undersside, it almost sounds like it is broken, but that digresses from what to do in the interim.
On my D this part is all metal (horseshoe shaped w/ the contacts in plastic inside this.
K10 is plastic alltogether??? Problem w/ this (metal) is you'd break the body long before breaking the hot shoe. One of the reasons flashes have such wimpy shoes is to sacrifice their life for the camera......
02-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It’s metal on the K10 as well, but with enough force and dedication everything can be broken I guess.

02-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
What Brackett?

Yes, my thoughts are to buy a bracket ASAP to get me through next week then i have a break in weddings until 4/11 (praying will get back by then) Can someone recommend a good bracket?

Thanks
02-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
It’s metal on the K10 as well, but with enough force and dedication everything can be broken I guess.
It wasn't dedication that caused the shoe to break.it was prior force used trying to get off the flash that would not release because of an obvious flaw in the flash pin (several owners have reported this problem.. i have had 2 flashes myself have this defective pin problem) should I not have used force to try getting off the flash? prob not but but the company has an obvious defect here which in turn caused this problem.