Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
Site Supporter

K-5 II vs K-5IIs - Who are they for?

I've been reading as much as I can about the K-5 II and the K-5IIs. I know one has a AA filter and one doesn't. Other than that, they both seem to be identical. People have spent a lot of time discussing how the lack of AA filter will increase sharpness but will also increase Moire. People seem to be excited about the K-5IIs, but don't really seem to care about the K-5II. I'm curious why that is?

I also don't think I understand who each camera is targeted towards. I'm curious. What type of shooters would benefit most from a K-5II and what type of photographer would benefit from a K-5IIs?

My plans are to do a combination of sports, portrait, and a little bit of video. The sports and portrait are probably split 45/45 with the video taking the remaining 10. What should I be looking into? I'm really hoping to get something soon, but am not sure what I should be excited about.

One more question (and hopefully Adam or someone else that was at Photokina can answer this), it seems like the mindset has shifted and people are now recommending the K-5II(s) over the K-5? Were the improvements actually worth it?

09-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The k-5IIs is targeted at users who are advanced and shoot under circumstances where they can minimize fine patterns or not encounter any. Such users include landscape shooters (but not so much architectural), some wildlife shooters, some studio shooters, etc. Portraiture and sports generally won't give you the fine patterns that show moire - but that's dependent on the clothing.

We'll have to see if the k-5IIs shows a lot more detail (from Adam's reactions, seems like it might) to be worth it for general users - but for people who shoot under optimal conditions (studio, landscape) and tweak everything for best sharpness, the k-5IIs might be better regardless.
09-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be interested in the K-5IIs for my outdoor macro work. If the autofocus is improved and detail recording markedly improved it would be attractive. Enough to buy one soon? No, I don't have the money. BUT when it's time to upgrade from the K-5, I'll give this a good look.

I'd think attached to a telescope or microscope the -s could be a real winner.
09-21-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

for video? K-01 rocks!

09-21-2012, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I'd suggest that folks read this article that was posted in another thread about the IIs:
The Naked Sensor

It is a good read, covers the AA issue well, and shows differences in the output in cameras already on the market. I also learned about another type of digital sensor that I was unaware of by reading the article.

There's another article that may be of use too:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography-2.htm

Last edited by Docrwm; 09-21-2012 at 07:28 AM.
09-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I think K5 II is basically for folks who already own k mount lenses and are shooting with a lower end Pentax body (Kx, kr, or K30) or an original K5 and are dissatisfied with the autofocus.

One of the biggest things that strikes me about it is that it is the only flagship APS-C update. Nikon and Canon both have chosen to stick with their current cameras (7D and D7000), even though they are getting a little long in the tooth.
09-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, I think K5 II is basically for folks who already own k mount lenses and are shooting with a lower end Pentax body (Kx, kr, or K30) or an original K5 and are dissatisfied with the autofocus.

One of the biggest things that strikes me about it is that it is the only flagship APS-C update. Nikon and Canon both have chosen to stick with their current cameras (7D and D7000), even though they are getting a little long in the tooth.
Excellent point about the lack of other APS-C updates. There has been a lot of speculation about a replacement for the D7000 since Marchish of this year and some real confusion about there not being one at Photokina.
09-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you need to shoot building interiors or exteriors and include clothing in images, the K-5IIs is not for you - unless testing shows that moire ["e" pronounced like "ay" in essay] is not a problem. NIkon's D800e, with a larger piece of the same sensor material, does pretty well. Magnification will be higher with the K-5IIs, so moire is more likely to be visible.

09-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've been reading a lot about this no AA filter, it sure does give better resolution. From what I read you shouldn't shoot clothing or buildings yet the M9 which does not include a AA filter is used mainly for, journalism, taking pictures of people and there surroundings. Moire can be annoying if your a JPEG shooter. But after looking at the LR4 tutorials on how to reduce moire it seems like no problem, I read a tutorial pretty much eliminating heavy moire using basic LR4 techniques, and I doubt I'll be taking many pictures of people wearing tweed clothing. The K5II is for people who don't like to post process, K5IIs is for people who shoot strictly RAW and understand PP...

EDIT: Also removing the moire you remove some detail just like using an AA filter, but only in the parts of the image that need it instead of the whole image if an AA filter was used...
09-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
Banned

I do concerts with my K-5 and F/FA primes, so I'm wondering if the IIs, outside of the supposedly better AF, will give me the nice, sharp pics I want or have any drawbacks.