Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Finally- my K-X has a grip....

I use a K-X as a back-up, 2nd body. One of biggest gripes has been lack of a grip. Well, finally I have solved that one....

I invested a whopping 8$ on an opteka battery grip designed for Canon Xti. Came with 2 internal trays....1 for 2 Li-ions batteries, the 2nd holds 6 AA's.

Removed the "stalk" that provides power and functionality from the grip to the Xti. Replaced the "hole" I created with a plastic cover, screwed in place. While its not perfect, it does increase the size of the K-X. Allows me to carry extra AA batteries, and a SD card. I could slip in a Pentax IR remote if I did a little more surgery on the AA battery tray.....that would probably still give me 4 extra batteries, plus the SD card and remote. Maybe I'll work on that over the weekend....

If the dang K-X battery door would have been easy to remove (like the Canon), then I could have modified it to power the camera....

Total time invested was about 1.5 hours.......here are a few basic pics.

Attached Images

09-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Cool project.
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
f the dang K-X battery door would have been easy to remove (like the Canon), then I could have modified it to power the camera....
You know that the K-x has a small removable plastic notch just above the bottom of the battery door to allow a power-cord through? So you could get a cable in there without needing to remove the battery door.

It's there to allow the power cable for the K-AC84 AC adapter kit though into the battery compartment.
09-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Cool project.

You know that the K-x has a small removable plastic notch just above the bottom of the battery door to allow a power-cord through? So you could get a cable in there without needing to remove the battery door.

It's there to allow the power cable for the K-AC84 AC adapter kit though into the battery compartment.
Yea, but who wants wires running outside the grip to the camera....too easily snagged on things....
09-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

ea, but who wants wires running outside the grip to the camera....too easily snagged on things....
Small run of wire + black electrical tape = profit!

09-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Removed the "stalk" that provides power and functionality from the grip to the Xti
So essentially you've created a box to carry spare batteries, that you have to remove to actually change them AND it has no actual funtionality whatsoever???

Surely one would be better off simply carrying 4 AAs in their pocket/bag???

Sorry... But with no conectivity; either control (its a non-working vertical grip) or power (no extended battery options) I just don't get it... It's just going to cost you time when you may need to get the shot!
09-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
Inactive Account

It is a shame there is no wired remote for the K-x, so you couldn't make the shutter release work without some really ugly external IR stuff.
09-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
So essentially you've created a box to carry spare batteries, that you have to remove to actually change them AND it has no actual funtionality whatsoever???
I can sympathize with the OP on this one. I have banana hands (Jack Black & Tony Roberts in the elevator scene of "Shallow Hal") and I longed for a grip when I was using a K2000 & on my K-7 before finally purchasing one. I didn't care if it was functional, I just needed the extra space so my pinky has somewhere to sit and it isn't fishing around for the tripod plate for some leverage. This has given me much greater control over the camera and the vertical shutter release and longer battery life is just a bonus!
09-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I recently sold my K-x to upgrade to K5 and although I don't have 'banana' hands my little finger (I'm British; so simply refuse to call it a 'pinky') rested on the K-x's bottom plate whenever it was in use...
I haven't bought a grip yet for the K5 (due to being poor as f**k) but the idea of one not having 'any' functionality save somewhere to put my smallest digit just sounds ludicrous in my head!
However, why a manufacturer of DSLRs would make a camera that cannot accept an optional grip is also somthing that confuses me... They lose out in accessory sales that many (who are not poor as f**k) would jump on...

09-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I haven't bought a grip yet for the K5 (due to being poor as f**k)
Save your pennies or pounds, whatever it takes and get the real deal.
09-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Save your pennies or pounds, whatever it takes and get the real deal.
Yeah... After reading reviews both here and on amazon that's the direction I'm thinking... I managed without on the K-x so I can stand to wait for the real-deal on the K5 til I have the cash for one. :-)
09-23-2012, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
.... I just don't get it...

obviously you have small hands....

I don't.
09-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Another interesting technique to consider is resting the bottom of the grip on your collar bone to act as a brace. I think I stole the idea from a Thom Hogan.. no the other American.. The sports shooting man.. not rockwell.. god hes a nikon guy umm... did a tour of Australia recently.. makes the cool portraits.. ah man... anyway.. HE, would rest the battery grip on his collar bone when needing a brace.

Works all right for me too :P

Backyard points to you sir :P
01-28-2013, 03:11 AM   #13

Hi, I have done a similar thing with my K-X. Like you I chose a Canon grip, which seemed to have the tripod bush in the same position as the K-X. I am intending using the battery trays. With 5 1.2 rechargeable I will get 6V or more, thus solving any battery problems. I do intend using the Lithium 7.4v trays also, but I am working on possible problems with the higher voltage (7.4v). As 4 x Energizer Lithium AAs can be as high as 7.2v, the camera may be ok, but as I said, I'm working on it. The cable isn't a problem, I have a small length of cable that connects via a DC plug/socket (this is tucked inside the grip after connecting) that goes in via the small hole in the battery compartment. I have cut a small section off of the "door" so by the time the grip is fitted the cable is barely visible. I have retained the metal post that stabilises the camera. I removed the bottom of the K-X and after exactly measuring the position, I drilled a hole in the bottom and glued a small piece of plastic over it to (stop any water/dust entering. The grip fits perfectly, and does feel much more comfortable than without, adds a nice bit of weight and like yours, is slightly larger than the K-X, but the curved edge looks like it's meant to fit. When I have finished I will post more info and some pictures.

The grip I used was CANON type BG-E5 Battery Grip with Vertical Shutter Release for Canon 450D, 500D, 1000D & Rebel XS, XSi, TSi bought from Amazon for 15.88.

I found that the quality was very high, I can't imagine how they can make it for this price.

Last edited by Scorpion; 01-28-2013 at 05:21 AM. Reason: More info added.
02-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #14
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Another interesting technique to consider is resting the bottom of the grip on your collar bone to act as a brace. I think I stole the idea from a Thom Hogan.. no the other American.. The sports shooting man.. not rockwell.. god hes a nikon guy umm... did a tour of Australia recently.. makes the cool portraits.. ah man... anyway.. HE, would rest the battery grip on his collar bone when needing a brace.

Works all right for me too :P

Backyard points to you sir :P
Do you mean Joe McNally? He has a clip on you tube about that tech.
02-04-2013, 02:40 AM   #15

it seems no meaning except "portrait" handling...