Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

When Will the K-5II & K-5IIs Test Shots Start Coming Out?

Does anyone know when the test shots will start coming out? The cameras are set to be released in less than a month and I imagine a lot of people are waiting to see if they want to pre-order until they see some test shots (I know I am).

I'd also like to see some comparisons between the K-5 and the K-5II. I think my main concern is the auto-focus. I know Adam mentioned that the K-5II will do a better job in low-light, but will it also be an improvement in normal-good light?

I'm not really considering the K-5IIs because of the possibility of moire. Some people feel it won't really be an issue, others feel it could be. Those test shots would sure do a lot to remove any worries about the K-5IIs. This is a difficult time for those looking to upgrade.

09-22-2012, 01:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Also wondering, is the SAFOX X Autofocus System software or hardware?
09-22-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Does anyone know when the test shots will start coming out?
Patience, grasshopper. K-5II bodies are probably already in the hands of a lot of reviewers so test shots etc should start trickling out soon, unless there is some sort of NDA timeline in place. More important will be when some K-5 II's get into the hands of the review sites who actually do good technical tests (dpr, imaging resource etc), not just those reviewers who do some shots of their cat and call it a test.

is the SAFOX X Autofocus System software or hardware?
Both.
09-22-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Both.
Ok,so the chances of the K-5 getting a firmware update with it is likely/unlikely?

09-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok,so the chances of the K-5 getting a firmware update with it is likely/unlikely?
Can't. Software-based features like focus peaking may be done through firmware update, but the sensor's sensitivity to light, for example - don't think so. It would be like how a nearsighted person cannot improve vision by learning to identify objects by shape and color; the person should wear corrective glasses to sharpen vision.
09-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Can't. Software-based features like focus peaking may be done through firmware update, but the sensor's sensitivity to light, for example - don't think so. It would be like how a nearsighted person cannot improve vision by learning to identify objects by shape and color; the person should wear corrective glasses to sharpen vision.
So the K-5II does actually have a different sensor? I thought it kept the same one as the K-5?
09-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So the K-5II does actually have a different sensor? I thought it kept the same one as the K-5?
What they replaced is the autofocus sensor, hence the name change of the module from SAFOX IX+ to SAFOX X. The image sensor is still the same one as in the K-5, not sure if they made a few tweaks though (a major tweak in the IIs since they removed its AA filter)

09-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
What they replaced is the autofocus sensor, hence the name change of the module from SAFOX IX+ to SAFOX X. The image sensor is still the same one as in the K-5, not sure if they made a few tweaks though (a major tweak in the IIs since they removed its AA filter)
Got it. Thank you.