Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #16
Pentaxian

My Yongnuo flash won't even turn on with lithiums, I wouldn't recommend them for flashes, but they are great for cameras.

09-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I guess I've just had terrible luck with Energizer Lithiums, especially in my flashes, they've never outlasted Eneloops for me except in low current draw things like LED flashlights.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
My Yongnuo flash won't even turn on with lithiums, I wouldn't recommend them for flashes, but they are great for cameras.
This sounds wrong -
generally lithium AAs are more powerful than even eneloops

from page 39 of the K200D manual (pdf)

clearly shows that lithiums are the strongest of the recommended AA batteries,
and that includes 100% flash usage.
09-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #18

Original Poster
Cleaning the contacks is a good idea I have not done. Thanks.

As for the other replys - the ponit is the nominl voltage of the reccommended battery is 1.5 V and the camera stops working at 1.6 V - my K200D anyway.

And, as I said the Ultimate Lithiums are working for a few hundres shots, so that workable, but they should last a lot longer and we are not using the batteries efectively. Since other are not having this problem, is may be my cameras problem.

jharris9

Thanks

Jim
09-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #19

Original Poster
You see, it's not about the 'power' in the battery - it's about the very high cut off votage of my camera. As someone said, it should be ~1.3 V; not 1.6 V. We are not making use of the 'power' in the battery.

jharris9

09-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I forgot to ask are you sure the camera is the problem? Have you ever tried a fresh alkaline set of batteies from a busy deparment store? (making sure circuation is high&batt's.a are fresh)
09-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used Li Energizers as backup for Eneloops in four K200Ds, and various K100's for years with no problems. As backups, I rarely exceed 600-800 shots over a week or so on a given set of Li's but haven't experienced any problems with normal functioning or shelf-life.

I'd consider less than 200 shots on fresh Li's to be cause for concern with the body regardless of shooting modes.

H2
09-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pezmaker Quote
Opposite of my experience - if I can keep you from buying one if you don't need one, may this post be it. I bought a grip for my K200D and stopped using it after the batteries registered as unusable after only a 100 or so shots, whereas I get 500+ with my eneloops in the body.

I didn't like the bulk the grip added to the camera anyway, so it was a no-brainer to stop using it when batteries registered dead in it after only 100 or so shots, which would get another 2-300 when put directly in the camera. Not sure if it was added resistance in the grip or what, but the camera did not like the eneloops in the grip. I searched a long time, and never really found any sort of explanation, other than a few other similar experiences.
I've just noticed a problem with my K200D's BG3 battery grip these last two weekends. This was the first time I've used it extensively, at cross country meets where I shot 1700 and 800 shots, respectively. I was switching between my K-5 and the K200D. The K200D would suddenly refuse to take photos. At the first meet I simply removed the grip to solve the problem; during the second meet I replaced the Energizer Lithiums in the BG with some freshly charged Eneloops. It's easy to recharge Eneloops before each event, but I don't want to throw out Lithiums prematurely, and I don't know how to tell they need replacing before they actually fail, since the K200D's battery meter is unreliable.

Do you have any suggestions? Since over 80% of my shots are portrait, I want the BG.

I always carry spare batteries, but having the camera stop working in the middle of a race is a problem. During this last meet the Lithiums in both the grip and the body ran out about the same time. I'm willing to use any combination of Lithiums and Eneloops in the grip and body, but I don't always have time to change the batteries. At least on the K-5 it's a quick swap. I have a pre-order for the K-5 IIs, and now I may just end up keeping the K-5 as well, instead of selling it. But I don't really want to do this. Not only will I lose the sale price of the K-5, but I'll also have to buy another battery grip and spare battery.

Last edited by DSims; 09-30-2012 at 04:27 PM.
09-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Once again try using a pencil eraser to lightly clean all the battery contacts in the grip and and camera. Don't forget the contacts inside the grip and camera. You may also want to clean the contacts between the grip and the camera. It doesn't take much of a film on those contacts to cause a voltage drop that can cause these problems. They don't even have to look dirty to be a problem.