Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm with you Don, I like Pentax for many reasons, value for your $'s, Image quality, build quality, and just the fact that they aren't one of the "big 2" I always root for the underdog

02-07-2008, 02:03 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
...(snip)... If you read through the thread there were quite a few respondents that cited the same problem and indicated that buying a brand x camera provided the remedy. Pentax have to acknowledge this as they are fighting to keep the slim market share they have. I just get tired of people making excuses for Pentax DSLRs lackluster AF performance, no wonder they've stayed in the AF dark ages.

Perhaps you wouldn't get so tired, Rob, if you realized people weren't making excuses, but simply acknowledging reality. The current Pentax cameras don't have predictive auto-focus and there's nothing we can do about it. There's no way to add it to our K10D's and the K20D hardware appears to be a done deal as well. Therefore, any potential solution rests with a future camera, not fussing about the current ones as some (not necessarily you) are doing. However, the fact that a comparatively small number are complaining about this doesn't bode well for change. Again, most people (including myself) just don't shoot that many images where this would be a major obstacle. For us, manual or auto pre-focusing (a common tactic used since my very first camera decades ago) often works just fine.

stewart
02-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
Sure as I mention I provided the link for information mainly on the process that they employed which was different to what you suggested. In any case all I was alluding to is that people will continue to use DSLRs the way that one was used in the example that I linked too and they will continue to be unimpressed with Pentax AF.

If you read through the thread there were quite a few respondents that cited the same problem and indicated that buying a brand x camera provided the remedy. Pentax have to acknowledge this as they are fighting to keep the slim market share they have. I just get tired of people making excuses for Pentax DSLRs lackluster AF performance, no wonder they've stayed in the AF dark ages.
Until today, I wouldn't have even dreamed of making any excuses for Pentax's poor AF tracking, although I don't really care.

I don't have big use for tracking or fast fps but always thought it could come in handy sometimes.

In essence, I am no sport shooter and thus, probably have poor technique...

Yesterday, I did a quick test, following cars as they were coming to or away from me under some light rain (thanks to weathersealing...).

These were not fast (20 to 40 km/h maybe) and I tried using C-AF and continuous drive: focus on the car then push the shutter and try to follow the car as the camera clicks away.

Results: an utter failure, maybe 10 to 20% in focus pics

Then I turned off the continuous drive but stayed in C-AF. focused on the car, half-pressed shutter to get the AF to lock and fire away by just pressing slightly harder when I believed the pics were in focus.

Results: 100% in focus shots...

I looked at the timings, I fired between 10 and 15 shots in 9-10 seconds on each car passing by... not a machine gun but sufficient for 90% of action shots I would need to take.

Then I tried another technique: pulled back in continuous drive and did the same as before, except I fired small 2/3 images bursts each time with small pauses in between to follow the "action".

Results: 90% in focus shots but I fired around 20 shots each time!

So here I stand a little confused: yesterday I would have sworn the K10 couldn't track a walking child... and now I am thinking that with good technique, I might be able to pull it!

I'll try again in different conditions (my children are going to get some execise this weekend )... and try to post some pictures if I get anything interesting.

If anyone wants to try, I used center point only for the test and the 50-135 @135 and f2.8 (Tv: 1/500s ISO400-640 in auto). Cars were about 5 to 100 meters away...
02-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ben really started something here, it seems.
Reading all the comments, I personally think Don out West got it right.
Yes we all look forwared to getting some hands on experience with the K20d. It will and is, as reported, be a big step forward from the K10d.
But wasnt that the same with the K10d. At its time of release and before, the reports were all glowing. "Its the best and most advanced camera ever released" or similar type stuff was all the go.
Now a new model is announced, all of a sudden, K10d lacks here, is deficient there.
Perhaps we all better stop pursuing camera upgraded technology until that day when the absolute perfect, ideal,no faults, do everything,100% advanced, camera is released. AS IF.
It wont happen.

Phtography is a challenge and is about the brain behind the camera, not the equipment itself(and that is not downgrading todays camera technology in any way).
Great photos were produced by the K1000 and all subsequent models (before and since) right up to current models.
So I say, purchase what suits your needs, with its pros or cons, accept the challenge, be bold enough to experiment, to give it a go and perservere.
Dont wait until the day when the camera does all the thinking and doing.

Perhaps I am rambling a bit, butI feel better for it, I suppose

As earlier stated correctly : Horses for Courses!