Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2008, 06:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K20D Critics...

Just wish to share a thought with all of you. There have been a multitude of Pentax and potential Pentax users critiquing the K20D. Now as far as I know, the only people in a position to do a review or comment on the camera are those that have actually used it. I find it quite amazing that there have been those who have slammed or praised this camera before it has even hit the market.

It is akin to judging a film based on seeing the posters. Look, I have used the camera. It is an incredibly versatile tool with features like multiple exposure to increase the dynamic range, custom lens calibration for up to 20 lenses and an incredibly good IQ up to 1600 iso and a usable 3200-6400 iso setting.

I would like to think that we are intelligent enough here on this forum to wait until the finally released firmware version hits the stores before passing judgment on the K20D.

Man are we spoiled or what?

Ben

Attached Images

Last edited by benjikan; 02-03-2008 at 08:39 AM.
02-03-2008, 06:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Too true! For myself, I can hardly wait to have it in hand. I seriously think my K10d will become my back-up body.
02-03-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I could not agree more. However here in the UK when the R.R.P for the K20 is double the price of the K10,I cannot see the justifcation for this, for not a quantum leap into higher specification. That is why I went and purchased the K10.
02-03-2008, 08:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also agree. A little investigation/discussion of features etc is fine and healthy. But the trash talk and praise has no foundation until the reviews are in and some users have had time to do some shooting.

Sure it may not have satified everyone's needs (on paper) but it's a great step forward.

I can't wait to try the in camera HDR.

02-03-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I would like to think that we are intelligent enough here on this forum to wait until the finally released firmware version hits the stores before passing judgment on the K20D.

Heh, I would like to think that too. Doesn't seem to be true, but I would like to believe it. ;-)

Will
02-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #6
Ed in GA

I would like to think that we are intelligent enough here on this forum to wait until the finally released firmware version hits the stores before passing judgment on the K20D.Ben
I've been thinking this since the first day the camera was anounced.

Ed
02-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the great low-light sample. What ISO was that shot at?

02-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Agreed Ben.

and a good reminder to all of us.
02-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Usually not one to chime in to a rallying cry, but I agree 1000% with Ben. I doubt that a single person who has voiced criticism on the new line has any place to speak. Ben proves his talent every day, and if you choose to visit some of his web sites you will see that he speaks from a position of authority and hands on knowledge. I'd love to see the work of those being so harsh toward a company and it's products that for many provide their livelihood. Let the pictures do the talking. Face it, there will never be a perfect camera.
<end rant>
02-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

...(snip) Now as far as I know, the only people in a position to do a review or comment on the camera are those that have actually used it. (snip)...

Utter nonsense, Ben. Why must one actually use a camera to decide the frame rate isn't quick enough, or the focusing system hasn't changed sufficiently to satisfy based on actual experience with an identical camera in this regard, or a desired feature is missing, or the camera does not compete in some respect with other products based the known specs, or whatever? These are the things most are discussing and none require actually touching the camera. And, for that matter, these are the things people routinely consider when ruling in or ruling out products for further consideration while shopping (for nearly anything). Give one valid reason why the K20D should be any different.

stewart
02-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
or the focusing system hasn't changed sufficiently to satisfy based on actual experience with an identical camera in this regard..
And you know this without having touched the camera or seen any reviews on production camera?
Who said that the AF has to be identical just because it is SAFOX VIII - just compare K100D and K10D!
02-03-2008, 06:24 PM   #12

amen

Amen to Ben! I'm excited to get my hands on one! For everyone here who doesn't or even never will buy a K20D because it's more money than you want to spend, or the time isn't right, or you just bought a K10D or a K100D Super, or a K1000... you should still be thrilled. This looks to be another banner camera that will push Pentax further up in sales and market share. A thriving company means more lenses, accessories, and aftermarket products to make life better for every Pentax user. I for one am celebrating!
02-03-2008, 06:32 PM   #13

I have the K10D, and will be happy to wait for the next one, as a motorsports photographer I need more than 3 FPS.

I have no doubt that the K20D will be a great camera as the K10D is, people should buy equipment that suits their needs. If I'm not wrong Ben works mostly in a Studio and the extra megapixels and features suits his needs.

Remember Horses for Courses,
02-03-2008, 06:57 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Does anyone know if the K20d will have a Wi-Fi feature as the Samsung GX20 has it?

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma2008/Samsung/DSC_1359.jpg
02-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
And you know this without having touched the camera or seen any reviews on production camera? Who said that the AF has to be identical just because it is SAFOX VIII - just compare K100D and K10D!

No, I don't know this and haven't said anything about it. Unlike Ben and others, I haven't said anything for or against the new cameras anywhere in this forum. Instead, I simply listed some of the issues others have raised and Ben apparently doesn't want discussed. Regardless, since the official press releases have said absolutely nothing about improvements to the focusing system, I believe it is entirely reasonable to expect similar performance from the new camera. Ben might say otherwise, but he has been wrong more often than he has been right - remember his many solemn, inaccurate, claims (all based on his "inside" information) about product releases at various trade shows last year (the really "big news in October" that turned out to be nothing, for example).

stewart

-

Last edited by stewart_photo; 02-04-2008 at 11:49 AM. Reason: spelling