Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
... with features like multiple exposure to increase the dynamic range, custom lens calibration for up to 20 lenses and an incredibly good IQ up to 1600 iso and a usable 3200-6400 iso setting.
Just being able to calibrate sharpness, color density, & whatnot for lens variations makes me drool. I would save up for a camera that can do that for me and make use of my old M lenses - wish I had known it was coming.

02-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
Just being able to calibrate sharpness, color density, & whatnot for lens variations makes me drool. I would save up for a camera that can do that for me and make use of my old M lenses - wish I had known it was coming.
Sadly, I would venture to guess those individual lens memory features won't be available for your old M lenses. My guess would be that it works with F lens and later.
02-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AVANT Quote
Sadly, I would venture to guess those individual lens memory features won't be available for your old M lenses. My guess would be that it works with F lens and later.
I expected that actually. My statement simply wasn't cristal clear. But no matter, I think this feature would be a fantastic boon with any set of lenses you'd collect.
02-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #34
Veteran Member

In this thread, a lot of people are coming back on the autofocus on the K10d. As far as I am concerned, I know it is not the greatest, but it is very far from being the worst.I do take a fairly good amount of sport pictures (soccer,hockey, motocross...) and I found out that knowing the sport so you can figure out how the action will develop can often beat the autofocus on a Canon or Nikon. When you know the weak spot on your esquipment, you can develolp strategies to bypass said week spot.

02-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
In this thread, a lot of people are coming back on the autofocus on the K10d. As far as I am concerned, I know it is not the greatest, but it is very far from being the worst.I do take a fairly good amount of sport pictures (soccer,hockey, motocross...) and I found out that knowing the sport so you can figure out how the action will develop can often beat the autofocus on a Canon or Nikon. When you know the weak spot on your esquipment, you can develolp strategies to bypass said week spot.
The reason people complain is exemplified very well in the following post in a similar thread at DPR:

This is why: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
02-04-2008, 07:04 PM   #36
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by Lucky Sky Quote
Rob (Distudio) & Richard Day-

Thanks to you both for expanding on this battery subject. Let's see what I've gleaned in summary:

2) Richard Day states that Lithium batteries can sustain a higher voltage under load longer than my AA NiMH Rayovac hybrids (which indeed are better than my older NiMH rechargeables).
3) If I wish for better AF performance, I need to stick with the batteries that will better maintain their rated voltage under load. But certainly no higher than what Pentax recommends i.e., no rechargeable Lithiums for a K100D.
There is no problem with your NiMH rechargeables. They, along with the Li's , maintain the rated voltage under load. The question is simply that the K100D circuits are designed for the 6V from the Li's while the NiMH only supply 4.8V.
Rui
02-04-2008, 09:25 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
However I do concede that the best solution is to use a proprietary system with the ability to use AA's in an emergency.
the best will be to design the sustem for RCR-V3.

02-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I still think SAFOX VIII or whatever it's name stillo beats the old Mk 1 EYEBALL WITH DIGICONTROL!
02-06-2008, 02:03 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
The reason people complain is exemplified very well in the following post in a similar thread at DPR:

This is why: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

What that individual is complaining about in that thread is the lack of predictive auto-focus - a feature I don't believe Pentax ever claimed the K10D had. In fact, most cameras today lack predictive auto-focus, including those made by other manufacturers. It was a feature introduced in the late 90's that very few people actually used. For example, how many actually take a series of shots like those shown in that link? For single shots, there are alternative tactics, such as pre-focusing on the spot where the subject might be while using a wider depth-of-field (exactly how predictive auto-focus works). Therefore, most manufacturers just don't consider this feature very important today.

stewart
02-06-2008, 06:26 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
What that individual is complaining about in that thread is the lack of predictive auto-focus - a feature I don't believe Pentax ever claimed the K10D had. In fact, most cameras today lack predictive auto-focus, including those made by other manufacturers. It was a feature introduced in the late 90's that very few people actually used. For example, how many actually take a series of shots like those shown in that link? For single shots, there are alternative tactics, such as pre-focusing on the spot where the subject might be while using a wider depth-of-field (exactly how predictive auto-focus works). Therefore, most manufacturers just don't consider this feature very important today.
Indeed the K10D and other cameras may not have what was previously marketed as predictive auto-focus however many systems other than the K10D can acheive focus frame to frame (even at a higher frame rate) with moving subjects. How they do this or what they call it is anyones guess and really doesn't matter, what matters is they can do it whether you think it's a prudent photographic tactic or not.

There is an informative article on the subject at the following link:

Nikon | Corporate Information | About Nikon | Technology | Nikon Technologies | Predictive Focus Tracking System
02-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
Indeed the K10D and other cameras may not have what was previously marketed as predictive auto-focus however many systems other than the K10D can ...(snip)...

The article you linked to is three years old and lists a total of three Nikon cameras with that feature. Regardless, as already stated, the K10D/K20D does not have predictive auto-focus. Nothing you or I can do about that here. Therefore, if you would like that feature added to future models, I suggest writing Pentax. If enough do so, it may be added. Take care.

stewart
02-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
The article you linked to is three years old and lists a total of three Nikon cameras with that feature. Regardless, as already stated, the K10D/K20D does not have predictive auto-focus. Nothing you or I can do about that here. Therefore, if you would like that feature added to future models, I suggest writing Pentax. If enough do so, it may be added. Take care.
Sure as I mention I provided the link for information mainly on the process that they employed which was different to what you suggested. In any case all I was alluding to is that people will continue to use DSLRs the way that one was used in the example that I linked too and they will continue to be unimpressed with Pentax AF.

If you read through the thread there were quite a few respondents that cited the same problem and indicated that buying a brand x camera provided the remedy. Pentax have to acknowledge this as they are fighting to keep the slim market share they have. I just get tired of people making excuses for Pentax DSLRs lackluster AF performance, no wonder they've stayed in the AF dark ages.
02-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AVANT Quote
Why do you think that? It would be easy to have a user made list of lenses to select from when the lens doesn’t automatically identify itself, pretty much as you select focal length with an M lens today on the K10. Instead you would select M50 1:1.7 from a list, for example.
02-06-2008, 04:13 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lucky Sky Quote
Nosnoop-

The higher AF speed on the K10D relative to the K100D is due to the K10D's batteries being of a higher voltage, yes? Are you thinking that the K20D's batteries will be of a higher voltage than the K10D's?
The DS had the same SAFOX VIII focus system and it and the k100d both use AA, yet the K100d easily trumps the DS in focus speed and accuracy, so there may be more too it than just voltage...

Last edited by joele; 02-06-2008 at 04:36 PM.
02-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #45
Inactive Account

I'd like to think that none of it matters. I'd like to think that people with reasonable intellegence could figure it all out and that maybe, just maybe, the K20 attractors and detractors might realize that it isn't the camera, so like who really gives a s*** what anyone says about a camera they haven't even tried yet.

In other words, it is all immature stupidity to speculate either way.

If you are a long time user of Pentax products you should already know the K20 will be an improved product. If you're not, them maybe you need to look elsewhere. Me? I've been using Pentax equipment (and that is not restricted to Pentax cameras but many Pentax products) for 40 years and have rarely been disappointed in their next released equipment.

This endless speculation is really all so silly.

Don out West