Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Does FF necessarily mean better IQ than APS-C (leaving aside DOF and perhaps, within some limits, ISO performance)?
I did not say anything about IQ. Given my current lens lineup and cost difference, I would go with the K-5 II/s. That is unless I had a very specific reason to get a ff body.

09-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I did not say anything about IQ. Given my current lens lineup and cost difference, I would go with the K-5 II/s. That is unless I had a very specific reason to get a ff body.
I think the OP was comparing IQ...
09-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Really, I can share @magkelly's advice. Pentax's strengths really don't seem to match up with your style of shooting, or preferences. I can imagine seeing you again in 3 months time on the forums complaining that Pentax isn't up to what you were expecting and you're switching back again.
What specific areas do you think i won't like about a Pentax? As I said, my idea wasn't to be talked into a Pentax but it seems a couple want to talk me out of it. I wouldn't be on here complaining at all. It's my investment and I accept any chance of loss if I dislike it. That paired with the fact I wouldn't drop my Canon gear until I knew I could happily use the Pentax puts me out of the woods for complaints.
09-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, if the -3EV claim turns to be true, we might have a winner in the K-5 II. But with past Pentax bodies, collective wisdom here can attest that none was quite up to Canikon standards in terms of AF speed and precision. Absolutely none. Plus the fact that some of the expensive SDM zooms have design flaws that render their AF ability useless all of a sudden. (I only knew the "Sudden Death Motor" acronym before I found out what it really stands for )
That being said, the K mount is the greatest thing about these cameras. There are a lot of chaps, like me, who only use lenses way past their "sell-by" date and get good results out of them. For me, being a Pentaxian is part of being a cheapskate. And having a Pentax DSLR is worthless if you don't have 10 film SLRs too. There are, of course, the primes of today - 15, 31, 43, 55, 77, but they're damn expensive for us cheapskates.
There aren't that many pros shooting Pentax out there. And what's even stranger: of all major manufacturers, the Pentax crew that demands full frame is the only one who is unable to pay for it. Most of those who shout in every FF-related thread are not professional photographers (those are busy taking pictures), but cheapskates like me who just want to get more out of their outdated lenses I think this is the main reason Pentax has not come up yet with a full-frame camera, and will possibly never do.
So, if you're the kind of Canon L guy, you will have to either adapt completely to a different kind of photography (mind you - where Nikon brings WiFi in their entry levels and Canon brings articulated screens, Pentax actually brings weather sealing), or turn your head the other way while we bargain for that $10 lens at the yard sale.
I do hope you'll get used to us, however

09-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
I think the OP was comparing IQ...
It looked like the OP was sort of all over the place. I think the K-5 II/s and Rebel T4i will be a major difference just within aps-c, especially overall features.
09-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erron Quote
What specific areas do you think i won't like about a Pentax? As I said, my idea wasn't to be talked into a Pentax but it seems a couple want to talk me out of it. I wouldn't be on here complaining at all. It's my investment and I accept any chance of loss if I dislike it. That paired with the fact I wouldn't drop my Canon gear until I knew I could happily use the Pentax puts me out of the woods for complaints.
I think you'll be fine provided you are open to the idea of shooting primes. Because if you find fault Pentax zooms, at least you'll have an alternative in the Pentax very fine line of limiteds and the older, but very capable Takumars, K, M, A, F fixed lenses...
09-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

And, according to the Ricoh-statement at the interview on Photokina, the SDMproblem is fixed since the beginning of 2012. So if you decide on any of the SDM lenses (DA*), make sure you buy one produced in 2012.
09-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erron Quote
... some of the issues with the K-5 would be addressed. Mainly the low light and AF issue.
It seems they have although I'd have thought that the "problem" is grossly overstated and would only bite you in certain circumstances.

QuoteQuote:
I shoot a lot of urbex and need good low light performance. With the introduction of the K-5iiS I am thinking it's finally time to switch.
STOP right there! With urbex the low light performance of the existing K-5 is already outstanding. Urbex just isn't one of those circumstances where AF issues are prevalent on the K-5. Nevertheless, all things considered, the second generation of K-5's that's about to hit us can only be better yet.

QuoteQuote:
I trust dpreview and they say the image quality of the OG K-5 is better than the d800 or 5Diii. Except at higher iso or low light. If pentax is telling the truth about the low light performance (-3ev whoa!) then I am sold.
I see no reason to doubt Dpreview or Pentax however the comparison really doesn't mean anything. Apples and pears etc. Let's say that the K-5's low light performance are up there with the best of 'm. The Canon and Nikon FF's you mention have other specific strengths to consider.

QuoteQuote:
Here's why I am scared. I currently use a rebel T4i with a 17-40, 24-105 L lens. The tamron 24-70 which is known as the sharpest mid zoon around isn't available for Pentax.
There's enough quality K-mount glass available to scratch your itch - I already saw others recommend the Tammy 28-75mm, 17-50mm, the DA17-70mm and let's not forget the Sigma Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM as a solid performer in the range you are looking to replace. The DA*50-135mm is top class, as is the DA*60-250mm. (top dollars too )

QuoteQuote:
So I will need help from all of you! This isn't a "convince me" thread, because I am pretty much convinced long as test shots prove what Pentax claims. This is more of a "tell me I won't lose lens quality" type thread.
You will NOT lose lens quality! You will win some low light performance, especially in urbex shooting but I am slightly worried the difference might not be so great as to justify a system switch.

QuoteQuote:
I know many of us L users are snobs and think the red ring means it's the greatest thing on earth. I am only partially that way. The L series are great lenses, but it's also marketing.
True for any brand, that's what keeps them turning over and making us nice equipment.

QuoteQuote:
They are sharper than kit lenses but so are most non kit lenses.
The same is true for the Pentax "star" lenses and the Ltd's as well as for some of Sigma's EX DG line and Tammy's too.

QuoteQuote:
If anyone has made a transition lately please help me with how easy it will be. I am really excited to have this lightweight, magnesium, weather sealed sharp as anything camera! I already know I will miss an articulating screen but that's not a deal breaker by any means. A 100% viewfinder is a better trade off. What else should I worry about? Thanks!
No transition I'm afraid, I've shot Pentax ever since I switched to a DSLR and even in the old film days I owned a K1000. If the articulating screen (or rather lack of...) doesn't bother you, you'll take to the Pentax form factor like a fish to water. I've held and shot Canon, Sony and Nikon DSLR's and none feel as solid. The Olympus'es come close.

Just think carefully, there certainly are a limited number of benefits to be had with your particular shooting in mind but whether it justifies a system switch, only you yourself can tell. There are extremely capable Canons that would go a long way without requiring dumping glass you love.

09-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you should do a bit more exploration and experimentation before you make your move. Both Pentax and Canon provide great quality within their areas of strength. I shoot both but for very different reasons.

Canon is known for great zoom lenses and their magnificent autofocus capabilities. A lot of Canon users do like prime lenses but most are attracted by the great L zooms, even if they cannot afford them.

Pentax is known for their prime lenses, their legacy lens compatibility, and the build quality and water resistance of their cameras. Pentaxians do use zoom lenses but most of them love working with the primes.

We would love to see you in the Pentax camp, and think you actually would enjoy it. But before you make that big move please consider the following suggestions.

First locate a nice Canon prime, attach it to your Canon and go take pictures. Leave it on for at least a month since a week is really not enough to really begin to appreciate what is necessary to really work with prime lenses. Once the month is up, then assess the images you have captured and evaluate your experience.

First, do you like the images you have? Don't make your decision based on what you see on the computer screen. Take your card to Wal-Mart and have some prints made. In addition make a few prints from old images you have taken with your zoom lenses and make some comparisons. Now, do you like the new images from the prime? If so you have learned something about yourself. If not you have learned something else. If you like your prime lens experience then you may enjoy your move to Pentax. But we are not done yet.

During your month were you frequently frustrated because you could not zoom in and out? Did you find yourself sneaking into the camera bag and attaching one of your zooms to capture those shots that you thought were important? You have learned something important about your personal workflow. Some people find working with prime lenses to be very liberating, others find it to be very frustrating. Neither camp is right or wrong. If you do enjoy your zooms then it may make more sense to stay with Canon.

Now, if you have gotten this far then I think it would be a good idea to rent a Pentax K5 and a nice Pentax prime for the weekend from a company like Lens Rental. The Pentax is a different camera, not just in size but in ergonomics as well. You will certainly find it different but you may not like it at all. This step is a little pricier but still far less expensive than switching brands.

Finally, print some big images from each camera. Pick your best examples the weekend photo shoot and have them printed large. At least 11x14 but I would recommend 16x20 if they are sharp enough to print that big. Shooting from a tripod will help ensure your images are sharp enough. Have these prints made by a company that specializes in this sort of thing, and I am not talking about Wal-Mart here. Now, look at the two prints. Can you actually tell any difference? Show them to your friends and relatives. Ask them if they can identify the best one. Ask as many people as you can. Be a pest about it and keep track of the results. You may be surprised with your results.

Now, you are finally ready to make a decision based on your own exploration, not on some internet reviewer's opinion. They don't work like you do. They do not know what type of pictures you like to take. They haven't got the foggiest idea of how you like to work. So they cannot give you the best information on what system will work best for you. Only you can make that decision. And buying a camera and then testing it out for a week is probably not the best way to do this.

Have fun, I hope you find that you want to make the move to Pentax. We certainly believe that we own the best cameras in the world and we would love to have you.
09-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #25

Original Poster
This is all very good advice! I thank most of you for being friendly and offering help and thoughts on the questions of lenses and changeovers. I do own a 50mm prime lens, so I have experience with them. I know they are sharper. I actually shoot with a 50mm 1.2 FD mount canon lens and a 50mm 2.8 macro FD mount. So i am rather used to using a prime and full manual control. I just usually keep my L zoom lenses on.

I will test all of my images as prints. I actually own a large format and photographic print company so seeing how the two cameras compare in print will be no issue.

It's more about just a brand switch over for me because of photo quality. It's about supporting a company that doesn't take advantage of their resources. I see a few people on here upset that Pentax hasn't brought a budget FF yet, but that's not something I worry about personally. As long as I know the lenses will keep me happy and have some nice build quality then I would be fine if the Pentax is the same IQ as my current Canon. And it will certainly be better.
09-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I shot a huge invitational cross country meet (at my alma mater) today. I got nice results from my K-5 (and K200D) today using the FA135/2.8, DA*50-135/2.8, and FA*85/1.4. The hit-rate of good (in-focus) photos became better as the meet went on and I got more used to tracking the runners with the AF, especially on the FA135 (which I was very happy with). See the highlights Gallery: Digital Studio - RaceTime Photos : Cross Country : Dana Hills Invitational 2012
I just added the link to my previous post. Pentax is supposed to be "the worst brand" for shooting sports, but I'm very happy with the results. With this experience, my hit ratio should be even higher next time.
09-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I just added the link to my previous post. Pentax is supposed to be "the worst brand" for shooting sports, but I'm very happy with the results. With this experience, my hit ratio should be even higher next time.
See also the terrific photos at

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/115277-k-5-sports-photography.html
09-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
See also the terrific photos at

K-5 for sports-photography
Thanks for sharing the link - I hadn't seen these before!
09-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #29
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
at the risk of being stoned
Not quite sure who's gonna do that to you? the Canon guys or the Pentax guys.