Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2007, 01:45 AM   #1
Forum Member

Using a telescope with my k100d???

My dad just got a telescope for christmas...

is it posible to use my k100d with it to take some cool pics of the stars??

01-02-2007, 03:55 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
It is possible. As a matter of fact, I'll use mine with it.
You need adapter. I have it for M42, but there is bound to be one for K mount also.

See for example Astrophotography Astronomical Telescope Photo Adapter Tubes

You'll need to focus manually and that's it.
Oh, one other thing. It is very good to have remote, because it is easy to jolt complete setup and unfocus (and motion-blur) pics.

Branimir

P.S. For taking long exposure pics (i.e. other than those of the Sun and the Moon - which are really fun), you'll need telesope with "german equatorial mount" and a tracking motor. For taking pictures of the Sun, you'll also need protective filter in order not to burn a hole through your K100D
01-02-2007, 06:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

u also need a very solid tripod.. useing the 2 second delay will get around the remote if u dont have one..

trog
01-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
wow thats good news.. thanx

01-03-2007, 05:06 AM   #5

Actually trog, if You have telescope, you do not need tripod. Telescope carries camera, not the other way around.

And remote (wired) is pretty essential because when you push the button, things can go out of your field of view, unless telescope mount is really tightened. It is, of course, directly linked to the focal length of the telescope. And there is a problem with photographing celestial objects that is called Earth's rotation. When I used my film camera, I used to put object at the edge of FOV, and then shoot when it's in the center. It usualy takes a few seconds for an object to cross entire FOV. Of course, it also depends on magnification of the eyepiece used (when looking through or if using adapter that connects to an eyepiece).
So, you do need remote to be able to time the shot when objects are in the middle of the picture, and to be able to hold long time exposures (4-5 mins) when shooting while using tracking motor.
02-19-2007, 06:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I bought my K100D for Astrophotography

I started in Astrophotography in 1997 with an 8 inch Meade SCT and a Pentax K1000 SLR. I still have the Meade, and bought a K100D to expand my capability. The DSLR is limited to brighter objects unlike my SBIG astro camera, but I'm having fun with it. It is challenging, as others have mentioned you should mount the camera solidly to the scope (T-ring), have a motorized mount if possible, remote shutter control, struggle with focus, and I could go on for hours.

Orion nebula:

http://pages.cthome.net/astroleo/m42-2.jpg

Pentax K100D, Meade 2080 at f/10, 36 frames of 2 minutes each.

Leo Taylor
02-19-2007, 07:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a celestron C90 on my *istD and K10D. I purchased a T Mount for it with both Pentax K and Nikon (for my friends on the other side). I use it for nature photos, and do not have an equatorial mount with motor drive to lock it onto celestral objects. You will need a mount with a motor drive to freeze objects.
02-19-2007, 07:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You will want to balance out the camera with some kind of counterweights, for I've used a K100D with a Celestron NexStar 8, and even being that light, the camera messes with the auto-tracking motor.