Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
LOL.

When in a relationship with me, you always know where *you* stand, by knowing *my* position.

No "head games" from me.
No guessing.
No body language.
No I say "this", but mean "that".
No cheating on my part.

Total commitment until we part our ways, and if we do, then you know why, and you know at least *I* tried.

That sounds like my mantra.

09-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Spencer Quote
I have just looked at the first 15 threads on this forum. In 7 of them there are titles with words/descriptions such as - intolerable - lighting and photo problems - mythical - scared - disgruntled - complaints about A/F and flash - K mount issues. In 2 more posts, posters are offering advice on how to market Pentax and connect Pentax to - fearless.

That is 9 threads out of 15 that`s an enormous 60% of negativity.

Way back in 2007 I started earning money with a K100d, followed by a K20d and now a K5. Each one has coped with cricket matches - (getting sharp images of a catch with a K100d is perfectly possible with the correct technique) - dog portraits,- industrial shots - a few school portrait sessions and whatever I may be asked to do. In all that time I have remained happy and contented with the three cameras and I look forward to a positive and happy future with them.
Many years ago I was taught to be with, and mix with positive people, it helps to maintain a positive attitude in oneself. In light of this present negativity, I will not be visiting here quite as often as in the past.

Richard.
Exactly. This is why I tend to spend most of my time in P&R threads. It's a refreshing change after the constant grousing and pointless squabbling in the rest of the forum...
09-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Spencer Quote
It is my belief that if your camera has a problem, you have 2 options.
It can be sorted by :-
Accepting the problem and learning a way/technique around it.
Or, not accepting the problem and changing your camera to one that does not have the problem in the first place.
There is no third (negative) option, because negativity refers to the person not the camera.
Richard.
Since no camera is perfect, switching can introduce new problems to work around.

Many people are selfish and expect everything to be their way, they are unwilling to compromise and would rather complain than change their ways. My normal setup has many supposed limitations, I never carry an auto focus lens, I have no P-TTL flash, many times I am using stop down metering and my body has somewhat limited ISO compared to new stuff. Yet I still am able to get most of the shots I want. If something goes wrong, it is my fault and I'll learn what to do or not do next time. Above all, I enjoy myself, I'm not doing this to make money or impress anyone. If the guy shooting beside me with $6000 worth of gear gets a better shot than me, so be it.
09-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #19

Original Poster
Elliott said ` Many people are selfish and expect everything to be their way, they are unwilling to compromise and would rather complain than change their ways`.

Spot on. It is as though they do not wish to learn, some people would use the word `lazy`.
The sad thing is that these people never have the chance to feel that satisfying feeling after mastering a new skill.
In my opinion, the pleasure of taking a picture that portrays and reminds you of how it felt to see the original is one of life`s greatest pleasures it is even greater if the photographer had to put lots of thought and skill into setting the camera.

Richard.

09-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I am leaving Pentax forum because what the OP is talking about. Now most post are infected with FF stuff and until PF admin put a FF sub subject in the. Rumours section , i dont see any value coming back . Also when somebody start talking about K-5, most of the post are negative. I have a K-5 and never have any of the mention behavior. . This is probably my last post for a long time .
For PF management, I believe they love it because this bring them traffic but they loose with lower quality post now .
Thanks
09-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #21
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Exactly. This is why I tend to spend most of my time in P&R threads. It's a refreshing change after the constant grousing and pointless squabbling in the rest of the forum...
Yes, it's a much more relaxed atmosphere in P&R.
09-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been reading various photo forums for years, and I agree that negativity reduces my desire to participate. There's constructive criticism, and then there's ranting - and a lot of the ranting sounds pretty foolish when you consider the many, many great photographs taken over the years with film, manual lenses, and no auto-anything. I do understand that as a hobbyist, I have the luxury of not having a customer demanding perfect shots every time.

A couple weekends ago, I was at a dimly-lit aviation museum, and I took someone else's picture with their camera. If what I saw on the LCD was accurate, then the low light performance of my K-r absolutely crushed her Nikon D700 FF. Maybe she needed to work on her settings...

09-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Richard, I understand what you are saying, but consider something. You have owned a K100, and K20 and a K5, and presumably, you've found each camera more capable than the previous. How does that happen? It happens in part thanks to feedback from users. People tell Pentax what they want, and the Pentax decided whether it's feasible to implement such change, and what the average consumer would be willing to pay for the upgrade.

Thanks largely to the efforts of folks like Adam and the PF team and Mika and the Pentaxeros team the R&D folks at PRI are hearing our feedback, and yes, our gripes, and attempting to address them. Without a public forum like this they would be stuck with simple marketing research which can be easily misinterpreted if one asks the wrong questions. I believe this is what happened throughout the 1990s as Pentax went into a decline. In all honesty, I believe their marketing department couldn't find their arse with both hands.

I know sometimes it can seems as though people complain on these forums just to hear themselves talk, but if you look closely you may find bits of constructive criticism mixed in. I know I always try to offer some sort of suggestion for fixing the problem about which I am ranting. It's our way of showing the folks at PRI some "tough love".
But you can have feedback, without being negative, trashing the product, etc. too many people for example, and please don't interpret this as an invitation for a full frame debate, but the number of people who continually have ranted for a full frame camera, even when pentax up to now has stated they support the APS-C format exclusively, and buy Pentax and then rant even more when they don't develop a camera they never said they would, literally fills the forum pages.

It is one thing to ask for something, even wish for it, but quite another to rant negatively when a product you incorrectly wished for, and which was never promised, does not materialize.

There needs to be a limit to these unwanted rants.

My participation in threads like that will be limited to setting the record straight one time, and if the rant continues, I basically exit, because it is not worth my time.
09-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It is one thing to ask for something, even wish for it, but quite another to rant negatively when a product you incorrectly wished for, and which was never promised, does not materialize.
I have a feeling that threats and ultimatums are largely ignored by the companies. While someone saying "I like how this was done, but it could be improved by doing this." has a chance of being noticed.
09-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #25
Veteran Member

The amount of negativity in this thread directed at negative people in the forum is overwhelming

Also, while it may be true that some negative people dont know how to work around their camera - it doesnt mean positivity breeds good pictures either .
Or....refuse to change, or learn a new method, etc. Come on guys. Take me for example - I have been a hard working negative personality all my life!

There are some negative complainer who complains while having changed their ways , added new system, wish for things that arent there and still make do! Right...? am I the only negative guy reading this thread .
09-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #26
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
am I the only negative guy reading this thread .
Negative.
09-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are members still psoting in these threads who openly state they sold all their Pentax gear long ago - they just come back to rant some more. It must please them somehow to rant.
09-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Stick to Post your Photos, you'll see lots of pictures, see actual pictures not theory that can be argued forever, and if someone gives someone else a hard time it doesn't matter, they get ignored. There's a photo critique forum for folks who want to improve. IN post your photos we just tell each other what we like. Drink coffee, read through the threads, see what everyone posted today. Comment on what moves you. Then if you want to waste a bit of time, go find the rest of the forum. But... you don't have to go there.
09-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I have a feeling that threats and ultimatums are largely ignored by the companies. While someone saying "I like how this was done, but it could be improved by doing this." has a chance of being noticed.
how true, but what turns off a lot of people on the forum are the threats, ultimatums and rants that go on.

Oh well, I guess that is the cost of freedom of expression, and god forbid we start policing expression
09-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
how true, but what turns off a lot of people on the forum are the threats, ultimatums and rants that go on.

Oh well, I guess that is the cost of freedom of expression, and god forbid we start policing expression
One thing that could be done is to separate out the News from the Rumours threads. No doubt they would be a little lopsided, but at least in the News threads people would be whingeing about something tangible.