Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #1

Sensor moves a lot when cleaning

I recently attempted to clean my Pentax K100D for the first time but I found it nigh on impossible because the sensor seemed to move around all over the place whenever I placed my swab on the sensor. I used Intemos swabs and Ioptic fluid for cleaning. Everytime I attempted to move my swab (gently) along the sensor, whirring noises came from the camera and the sensor would shift considerably but the swab seemed to stay still on the sensor! I'm wondering if that might have anything to do with my Pentax's in-camera shake reduction, though I thought I had switched it off before attempting cleaning, but I wonder if I might not have after all - do you think this might have caused the problem? I say that because it was as if the sensor was moving back to its original position whenever I tried to swipe it. Though surely once you put the camera into Sensor Cleaning mode from the menu, wouldn't the shake reduction turn off automatically anyway? Unfortunately I can't test out my theory right now because I've run out of the expensive swabs I used to clean the camera. I'm debating whether to buy more swabs, or get a professional to clean it as I'm scared something's not quite right with my camera. It would help me decide what to do if someone could at least confirm to whether it's normal for the sensor unit of the K100D to move so much when being cleaned. I just could not find anything at all in my manual about it and I'd appreciate any advice, thanks. The sensor movement in my camera makes cleaning very difficult and gives very unsatisfactory cleaning results.

02-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #2
raz

Why not use a blowing kit to clean the sensor ? You have something really stuck to it ?

Yes, from my knowledge the sensor is always floating on the SR system, even if it's turned off. Probably when is turned off the gyroscope doesn't move when you take the picture, but the sensor is still anchored/floating to it and when you touch it , you move it...
02-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply. I did attempt to blow off the dust already but it didn't work. My attempts at swabbing the sensor did actually shift a few dust spots, but because the sensor was moving so much I couldn't do a proper job of it. But I think I've found the solution now, and yes you're right it is related to the fact that the sensor is always floating on the SR system, even if it is turned off. Apparently when off, the SR system energises and attempts to keep the sensor locked in one position. If you use too much fluid on your sensor swab (or in my case the kind of swabs I was using - Intemos swabs have a "vacuum" effect) it makes your swab sticky which will pull on the sensor. The SR system will resist, making a noise as it pulls the sensor back into position. That was what I was told anyway and I thought I'd share it anyway in case anyone else might be having a similar problem.
02-04-2008, 12:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to Pentax Forums Willy,

The SR would have been my guess.
If you have a Super try turning off the sensor cleaner as well. It might be causing it.

02-04-2008, 01:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Willy WH, the K10D manual mentions the use of Pentax's optional Imagesensor Cleaning Kit O-ICK1 (oh, ick!) for sensor cleaning. This suggests that non-blower cleaning options are feasible.

However, the Pentax webstore doesn't list the kit, nor have I ever seen one in local photo stores, so your guess is as good as mine as to whether the kit is a swab-type kit, or an Arctic Butterfly charged-brush-type cleaner. Good luck with your further adventures in sensor hygiene, and let us know how things work out!
02-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
Forum Member

I use a home made swab, pec pads, and eclipse solution. It works for me.

I found this website very useful to learn how to clean the sensor:

Cleaning Digital Cameras - Introduction

The official cleaning kit from Pentax can be purchased on eBay for like $50 shipped (search for "O-ICK1").

Last edited by chrisca70; 02-05-2008 at 05:35 PM.
02-06-2008, 01:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
Willy WH, the K10D manual mentions the use of Pentax's optional Imagesensor Cleaning Kit O-ICK1 (oh, ick!) for sensor cleaning. This suggests that non-blower cleaning options are feasible.

However, the Pentax webstore doesn't list the kit, nor have I ever seen one in local photo stores, so your guess is as good as mine as to whether the kit is a swab-type kit, or an Arctic Butterfly charged-brush-type cleaner. Good luck with your further adventures in sensor hygiene, and let us know how things work out!
It's neither actually.

39357 Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1

Think ICK1 as in Sticky.
02-06-2008, 05:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link, Rick! But I ask you, does that look like $50?

02-06-2008, 05:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
It's neither actually.

39357 Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1

Think ICK1 as in Sticky.
And the problem that's mentioned is the likely reason that they adopted this type of non-swipe cleaner as their "official" sensor cleaning system.

Last edited by distudio; 02-11-2008 at 05:01 AM.
02-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

this is what I'd recommend using, along with a rocket blower.
02-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #11

Christine,

It is reuseable, and comes with a relatively thick pad of "papers" which you stick the stick (lol?) to after touching it to the sensor.

Considering how much you would pay to have your sensor cleaned, it is actually a *very* good deal, IMHO.
02-10-2008, 08:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well, it is the only method approved by Pentax for consumer use on the K10D so .....

No, it doesn't look worth $50 to me either. However is does last a LONG time and you don't have to worry about screwing up the special surface on the K10D sensor.
02-11-2008, 04:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Fireball and Rickster, thanks for your posts. Since value is important to me, and since durability and functionality are important elements of value, I guess that the official Pentax Oh! Ick! kit might be worth a Ulysses S. Grant after all. I'm sure that Pentax Service + UPS would be more.
02-11-2008, 05:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fireball and Rickster, thanks for your posts. Since value is important to me, and since durability and functionality are important elements of value, I guess that the official Pentax Oh! Ick! kit might be worth a Ulysses S. Grant after all. I'm sure that Pentax Service + UPS would be more.
There are definite advantages to the sticky cleaner. Firstly it's small and easy to stash in a photo bag (I always have mine with me). Secondly if used properly it can't add dust or contaminants it can only take them away, the same can't be said for bulb blower solutions. I'm sure you will be pleased with the purchase (even though I agree it's a bit steep for what it is).
02-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
There are definite advantages to the sticky cleaner. Firstly it's small and easy to stash in a photo bag (I always have mine with me). Secondly if used properly it can't add dust or contaminants it can only take them away, the same can't be said for bulb blower solutions. I'm sure you will be pleased with the purchase (even though I agree it's a bit steep for what it is).
Plus it reduces the risk of scratching the surface if you have a HARD bit of contaminate. (versus wiping )