Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
yes please!

09-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #152
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would love to see Pentax de-cripple the K mount. I vote YES.
09-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #153

Yes, please, I want to use my manual focus lenses with aperture priority and not in Manual mode only.
09-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #154
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JorgeR Quote
Yes, please, I want to use my manual focus lenses with aperture priority and not in Manual mode only.
I use my manual focus Takumars in Aperture Priority on the K7 just fine. Switch the lens to M. Compose at wide open ( if you need to ) and then select the aperture you want, directly on the lens. The camera will pick the shutter speed. No issues. Try it.

Paul

09-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #155
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And stop down metering in manual mode works similar to aperture priority as the camera sets shutter speed.
09-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #156
Site Supporter

Yes. I would like a de-crippled Pentax DSLR (..or better still, a LX DSLR).
10-01-2012, 06:27 AM   #157
Forum Member

I vote definitely YES!

I would instantly buy a full frame Pentax, but only, if it has the aperture sensor back!
10-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #158
Veteran Member

Original Poster
1 1 1
QuoteQuote:
106 #-151 carrrlangas (yes please!)
107 #-152 tlong423 (i would love to see pentax de-cripple the k mount.)
108 #-153 jorger (yes, please)
109 #-156 jt_cph_dk (yes. I would like a de-crippled pentax dslr)
110 #like ulibär (+ #-157, i vote definitely yes!)
111 #bdfn learza

10-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #159
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sankon Quote
I use my manual focus Takumars in Aperture Priority on the K7 just fine. Switch the lens to M. Compose at wide open ( if you need to ) and then select the aperture you want, directly on the lens. The camera will pick the shutter speed. No issues. Try it.

Paul
I find that slower than the green button metering myself. I would love to have the mount so that I could select Av if I needed it, so I joined the petition, but the green button is easier to work with than the M42's M/A switch or M and count the aperture.
10-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #160
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I find that slower than the green button metering myself. I would love to have the mount so that I could select Av if I needed it, so I joined the petition, but the green button is easier to work with than the M42's M/A switch or M and count the aperture.
Correct. But one forgets the green button in the action What we need is an un-crippled K mount
10-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #161
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jt_cph_dk Quote
Correct. But one forgets the green button in the action What we need is an un-crippled K mount
I find it amazing to think that we a so spoiled as to consider that manual metering is a hardship. On my KX film body that was all I had.

The fact is you don't need to meter every scene, you only need to meter when lighting or scene changes and it's not all that hard really. But I would take open aperture metering with the uncrippled mount but as said earlier, I think TTL flash is much more important
10-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #162
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I find it amazing to think that we a so spoiled as to consider that manual metering is a hardship. On my KX film body that was all I had.

The fact is you don't need to meter every scene, you only need to meter when lighting or scene changes and it's not all that hard really. But I would take open aperture metering with the uncrippled mount but as said earlier, I think TTL flash is much more important
Well, we are spoiled for sure. But here in denmark we really often have partially clouded skies. So set everything up, take a shot, walk a few minuts..and remember to make new metering. If you expect that you have to look into the light situation all the time, you will. But one sure does get acustomed to automation fast. And forget Regards
10-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #163

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
1 1 1
Yes, I would definitely buy a de-crippled Pentax DSLR!
10-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #164
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I find that slower than the green button metering myself
I understand. I used M and the green button for a while, before moving to Aperture Priority, because there was one less thing to do.

The thing I was trying to say originally was, to the poster who seemed to think he needed an "uncrippled" mount to use AP ... you don't. There is nothing to do other than put your camera on Aperture Priority and shoot at your chosen aperture. Not even a green button push. Well, you'll need to have set your menu item ( once, ever ) to allow use of the aperture ring, as I think it's off by default.

Just like the old days, with the exception that the aperture doesn't stay wide open until you press the shutter release. Either ... shoot wide open ( one of the reasons to buy these old lenses is that they are a cheap way of obtaining a good, fast lens ... so use it ! ) or as I mentioned, turn the aperture on the lens after you've composed. No big one. If you choose to shoot AP, you are suggesting you are inclined to want to change the aperture

In daylight, I find the finder bright enough to f8 or so anyway, so I just select the aperture and shoot away. Like I said, just like the old days.

An aperture feeler is not on my list of make-or-break items for Pentax to consider. It would help me only with bragging rights / comparison to other systems. Neither of which affect the light coming through the lens to my photos

I hope Pentax concentrate on other things, personally, of more worth to more people. There is nothing in their current lineup that prevents me from taking a great photo, quickly, to my preferences, including with 50-year old lenses. That's not a "crippled" mount at all. Pentax make some great photographic tools, and whatever improvements may be possible, the limiting factor is still behind the viewfinder usually. It's a step on the path to measurebating hell to presume that, were it not for one more feature ( low light sensitivity, full frame, "crippled" mount, whatever ) we'd suddenly be a better photographer.

In my humble opinion, of course

Paul
10-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #165
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't believe it is possible to shoot bracketed exposures with M or K lens in Av except with the len wide open. Regardless of where you may have set the aperture the shot will be taken wide open. I'd love to be wrong about this.