Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #166
Forum Member

^ if your manual lens is set to M not A ( which is an aperture switch, not focussing obviously ! ), the camera has no control over the aperture at all. Set it to whatever you want, it will stay there :-)

Paul

10-01-2012, 11:41 PM   #167
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had no problem using the aperture ring on my manual lenses. I put my dslr in manual metering mode, set the aperture I want and the shutter speed that should match and check the meter. Seems to work great!

I think it would be nice to be able to read the aperture in the viewfinder, and to have it show up in the EXIF data, so from that perspective I believe that it is a good idea to un-cripple, if that is what you call it, the K mount so that it works properly again. I would like to have the K-Mount on my dslr to work the way it does on my PZ-1p. That should not be that difficult to do.
10-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #168
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I think it would be nice to be able to read the aperture in the viewfinder, and to have it show up in the EXIF data, so from that perspective I believe that it is a good idea to un-cripple, if that is what you call it, the K mount so that it works properly again. I would like to have the K-Mount on my dslr to work the way it does on my PZ-1p. That should not be that difficult to do.
Even on "non-crippled" bodies, the aperture was never displayed in the viewfinder, as they have no way of knowing it... The only available information available to non-crippled bodies is the amount of relative f-stops between the fully open position and the aperture selected.

So, un-crippling will enable a fully working Av mode and P-TTL, but EXIF would still be blank...
10-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #169
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Even on "non-crippled" bodies, the aperture was never displayed in the viewfinder, as they have no way of knowing it... The only available information available to non-crippled bodies is the amount of relative f-stops between the fully open position and the aperture selected.

So, un-crippling will enable a fully working Av mode and P-TTL, but EXIF would still be blank...
One niggly correction - certain models did display the aperture in the finder. The film KX I owned, for example, had a periscope affair that looked down on the aperture ring. This was, of course, absolutely useless with a converter or extension tubes.

10-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #170
Veteran Member

Count me in.
10-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #171
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, please. Open aperture metering with old lenses would be fantastic! I don't mind manual focusing, but stop down-metering is a pain. The split screen interferes with the stop-down metering, so accurate metering is a little tricky and time consuming...
10-02-2012, 02:49 AM   #172
Forum Member

Presumably the split-screen would interfere with open-aperture metering as well ... ?
10-02-2012, 03:08 AM   #173
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sankon Quote
Presumably the split-screen would interfere with open-aperture metering as well ... ?
Well, the problem is, that the middle of the split screen darkens in low light situation which then interferes with the metering. With normal daylight it's not much of problem until f/4. But if you stop down further, the split screen darkens and the metering is off. If I meter for example at f/1.4 and calculate the correct exposure for f/8 everything is fine.
Furthermore, metering is no problem with my lenses with A-contacts. Even if the split screen still interferes with metering, you just need to adjust the exposure compensation. With stop-down metering exposure compensation needs to be adjusted for every aperture setting differently. So I'm pretty confident that a de-crippled K-mount will improve things.

10-02-2012, 04:13 AM   #174
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
One niggly correction - certain models did display the aperture in the finder. The film KX I owned, for example, had a periscope affair that looked down on the aperture ring. This was, of course, absolutely useless with a converter or extension tubes.
But that was a window in the bottom of the prism housing over the lens not a display feature. It was common on upper models. The K1000 did not have it but the KX did
10-02-2012, 04:14 AM   #175
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sankon Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Davidw0815 Quote
Well, the problem is, that the middle of the split screen darkens in low light situation which then interferes with the metering. With normal daylight it's not much of problem until f/4. But if you stop down further, the split screen darkens and the metering is off. If I meter for example at f/1.4 and calculate the correct exposure for f/8 everything is fine.
Furthermore, metering is no problem with my lenses with A-contacts. Even if the split screen still interferes with metering, you just need to adjust the exposure compensation. With stop-down metering exposure compensation needs to be adjusted for every aperture setting differently. So I'm pretty confident that a de-crippled K-mount will improve things.
It screws up spot metering but average metering is OK
10-02-2012, 04:16 AM   #176
Pentaxian

Yes, please. Open aperture metering with old lenses would be fantastic! I don't mind manual focusing, but stop down-metering is a pain. The split screen interferes with the stop-down metering, so accurate metering is a little tricky and time consuming...
You should check that it is not just the split screen but the camera too. Many cameras have issues with stop down metering and accuracy because the metering is nonlinear and needs to be corrected for true apertures

There was a lengthy debate about this when the K10 and K20 first came out. The K 7 is better, and the K5 better still but not perfect

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 10-02-2012 at 04:23 AM.
10-02-2012, 05:28 AM   #177
Veteran Member

Listing up your name in a forum is free, but I wonder if everyone is willing to pay extra for it; pentax community is usually very frugal. I suspect the difference in price will be more than replacing the M lenses with their A versions (except perhaps the 85mm) . If that's not the case, then great! It's not a huge issue for me though.
10-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #178
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It screws up spot metering but average metering is OK
Sure, I've lost spot metering. I normally use center-weighted average metering with my K7 which works OK but needs some adjustments depending on the aperture setting. Thanks for all the detailed info.

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Listing up your name in a forum is free, but I wonder if everyone is willing to pay extra for it; pentax community is usually very frugal. I suspect the difference in price will be more than replacing the M lenses with their A versions (except perhaps the 85mm) . If that's not the case, then great! It's not a huge issue for me though.
I doubt that. It shouldn't be too difficult to build a de-crippled K-mount. I mean my P30t got one and that thing cost like $ 100 - brand new. And if you compare the prices of M and A lenses... You should be able to get a M28, a M50 1.4 and a M135 for around $200. The A135 alone will cost you that...
10-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #179
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
De-cripple it!
10-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #180
Pentaxian

I doubt that. It shouldn't be too difficult to build a de-crippled K-mount. I mean my P30t got one and that thing cost like $ 100 - brand new. And if you compare the prices of M and A lenses... You should be able to get a M28, a M50 1.4 and a M135 for around $200. The A135 alone will cost you that...
This assumes pentax has not got something either planned or presently, in the space the decrippled mount would occupy as a starting point. As i have said, sure I support it, but maybe somewhere in the master plan they have, it is simply conflicting with something else (let's leave the sinister market control issues out of this for the moment)

BUT there is a down side to this, in case people have not noticed.

K and M lenses are already scarce, therefore putting a de-crippled mount will only force the price up, because supply is already limited.

Not that I would mind, with my 20 or so K mount lenses but the issue of backwards compatibility from a practical point, of someone entering the DSLR lens market today, is quite different than it was 9 years ago. Just from an availability point of view, what you could get in 2003 for K mount lenses was incredible compared to today, and i am not talking price, but selection.