Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
See post #9. The *istD and *istDS had both TTL and P-TTL, why go P-TTL only? The answer of course was to sell new flashes and lenses.
Missed that post, thanks.

09-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm in, what do I have to do?
09-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #18

I'm for this. We can always enter the min and max f stops manually as you do with the lens length for shake reduction. No need to rely on the A contacts for this. Maybe people will stop mangling the mounts on the old glass to use on their Canon bodies if the value on old glass goes up for Pentax users.

If not on a Pentax body perhaps un-cripple the mount for a K-mount sensor module for the Ricoh GXR.
09-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

If you could develop a way to add an "A" setting to old M lenses, Pentax would probably sell it just to make the money. But decrippling the K mount at this point would primarily reduce sales of new lenses(Which are already low, thanks to the absurd pricing currently)

Not saying I wouldn't like it. They could also make it detect when aperture data isn't be transmitted, and stop it down to meter when you halfway depress the shutter.(Much like AF, but instead AE) Would probably cost less to implement, and give more accurate results in the end.

09-24-2012, 04:19 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Hmm, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel about this. Could someone remind me where this issue stands on the Universal List of Pentax Outrages?
09-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Hmm, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel about this. Could someone remind me where this issue stands on the Universal List of Pentax Outrages?
Down there with "Doesn't work well as a dish cloth"
09-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Why would that be the case? Pentax has no A only lenses in it's line up, so no competition there. And low budget plastic stuff or on the other scale very expensive impractical super tele exclusive stuff isnt going to make me buy new pentax glass. Non - except the long promissed TC - of the lenses on the road map do give me a warm feeling.

I endorse a petition.

09-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm all for it, but I can't believe Pentax will really do this as there isn't enough upside potential (i.e., $$) for them. The only thing that might force this to happen, is if people really started hacking their lenses left and right to work on Canon or some other body (hence threatening body sales) or if someone came up with a Magic Lantern hack to automate the stop-down metering sequence. Then they would spend the $5 in plastic parts to bring back the aperture coupler, just to negate the external threats.
09-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #24
Forum Member

Count my vote!
09-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Awesome! I would love that on my next DSLR!
09-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I'm for this. We can always enter the min and max f stops manually as you do with the lens length for shake reduction. No need to rely on the A contacts for this. Maybe people will stop mangling the mounts on the old glass to use on their Canon bodies if the value on old glass goes up for Pentax users.

If not on a Pentax body perhaps un-cripple the mount for a K-mount sensor module for the Ricoh GXR.
QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
If you could develop a way to add an "A" setting to old M lenses, Pentax would probably sell it just to make the money. But decrippling the K mount at this point would primarily reduce sales of new lenses(Which are already low, thanks to the absurd pricing currently)

Not saying I wouldn't like it. They could also make it detect when aperture data isn't be transmitted, and stop it down to meter when you halfway depress the shutter.(Much like AF, but instead AE) Would probably cost less to implement, and give more accurate results in the end.
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I'm all for it, but I can't believe Pentax will really do this as there isn't enough upside potential (i.e., $$) for them. The only thing that might force this to happen, is if people really started hacking their lenses left and right to work on Canon or some other body (hence threatening body sales) or if someone came up with a Magic Lantern hack to automate the stop-down metering sequence. Then they would spend the $5 in plastic parts to bring back the aperture coupler, just to negate the external threats.
the ability to program max and min aperture and shoot like an A series has been hashed to death, it won;t work reliably because before A lenses the lever was an on off switch with the aperture linkage movement proportional to the diameter of the aperture not the area, so resolution would be sketchy at best. it would also not help on M42 lenses

but the point is, dual flash metering existed in the digital world, and was great on the *istD, worked with all lenses even M42. a pro camera at least should have it because there are times when TTL is still better, including wild life. (my specific interest)
09-24-2012, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
doesn't seem like a hard thing to add...
09-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the ability to program max and min aperture and shoot like an A series has been hashed to death, it won;t work reliably because before A lenses the lever was an on off switch with the aperture linkage movement proportional to the diameter of the aperture not the area, so resolution would be sketchy at best. it would also not help on M42 lenses
Why wouldn't it work? Adding back the missing stop-down indicator lever would allow the M and K lenses to tell the camera body what f stop is selected. This would give you back wide open manual metering and Av mode for selected f-stops (not just wide open) for M - K lenses. The diaphragm actuator lever only have to act as an on-off toggle. Telling the body the min and max apertures would allow matrix metering. I'm not asking an M or K lens to become an A lens. And M42 lenses on K mount bodies always had to use stop-down metering due to the totally different nature of the diaphragm control pin. I'm not asking for anything the K mount never did with these lenses other than matrix metering.

However they might be able to make an M42 sensor module for Ricoh GXR that has the auto diaphragm control.
09-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Why wouldn't it work? Adding back the missing stop-down indicator lever would allow the M and K lenses to tell the camera body what f stop is selected. This would give you back wide open manual metering and Av mode for selected f-stops (not just wide open) for M - K lenses. The diaphragm actuator lever only have to act as an on-off toggle. Telling the body the min and max apertures would allow matrix metering. I'm not asking an M or K lens to become an A lens. And M42 lenses on K mount bodies always had to use stop-down metering due to the totally different nature of the diaphragm control pin. I'm not asking for anything the K mount never did with these lenses other than matrix metering.

However they might be able to make an M42 sensor module for Ricoh GXR that has the auto diaphragm control.
It would work for matria metering, nut not aperture comtrol. every lens behaved identically but this was NOT a design requirement for the KMount. It became standard and controlled only with KA mount. There is a reason it has not been done yet, because it can't be done within tolerances that make it reliable

Matrix metering however is not as important as flash control or automatic modes
09-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #30

Please yes!