Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #406
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I support this item.

10-22-2014, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #407
Site Supporter

As we can see, this topic keeps coming back to life...
If you read the review for the 645Z, you will note that Pentax does support older fully manual lenses in the medium format model. And this body has a 'very reasonable' MSRP US$8,499.00.

What I suspect is Pentax will add this capability to a future FF camera where it can also make a goodly margin. And that makes perfect sense as Pentax has not released all that many DA level lenses that support both the APS-C and FF cameras. It will initially use the huge market in quality used glass a a selling point for a FF body until it can gradually rebuild the K-mount lenses that support FF. It appears that is the same path they are following with the 645Z introduction.

Personally, while technically possible, I just don't see Pentax restoring this functionality to its APS-C bodies, although I too would greatly welcome it.
10-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #408
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fact 1: Pentax actually (today) makes 6 lenses WITH aperture rings: 3 FA Limiteds, the FA 50/1.4 and both macros (100 & 50).

Fact 2: The actual "ff" compatible lenses made today, are the top quality built ones (metal bodies, superb optics).

Fact 3: Even though you can use the aperture ring on any of the DSLR's (stop down metering, all manual), you must admit it is cumbersome and somewhat difficult. It seems there is not enough space for your fingers to properly grab the aperture ring.

Conclusion 1: It seems it makes no sense on producing top quality glass with operating aperture rings and full frame compatibiliy (coverage), if there is no body planned that can take advantage of this features.

Conclusion 2: Considering that ALL aps-c glass built today, NONE have the aperture ring, it is logical to assume there are no plans for a new APSc body with the mechanical aperture ring coupler.

Conclusion 3: Considering the actual FA Limiteds and the other 3 ff compatible lenses are on the "small" side of the spectrum, it would be logical to assume that whatever FF body coming could easily be a mirrorless system with electronic viewfinder. Optical viewfinders are overrated today with all the nice capabilities of electronic VF. In fact, most cameras (compacts) have tossed away the optical.

Anyone agrees?

Last edited by rburgoss; 10-22-2014 at 05:28 PM.
10-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #409
Site Supporter

Conclusion 1 and 2 are supportable. Conclusion 3 is just daft.

10-22-2014, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #410
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Conclusion 1 and 2 are supportable. Conclusion 3 is just daft.
+1

I'll make the following sacrifice in support of the general Petition:

I'm converting from a large collection of EX+ manual 'K' series lenses I've acquired over the last 15 years to just the three princesses. I am quite certain that about the time I've sold my last manual lens Ricoh will announce a small FF body with a fully functional K-mount and aperture sensing actuator.

[EDIT: Conversion completed 11/11/2014]

Last edited by monochrome; 11-12-2014 at 07:29 AM.
10-22-2014, 09:03 PM   #411
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Fact 1: Pentax actually (today) makes 6 lenses WITH aperture rings: 3 FA Limiteds, the FA 50/1.4 and both macros (100 & 50).

Fact 2: The actual "ff" compatible lenses made today, are the top quality built ones (metal bodies, superb optics).

Fact 3: Even though you can use the aperture ring on any of the DSLR's (stop down metering, all manual), you must admit it is cumbersome and somewhat difficult. It seems there is not enough space for your fingers to properly grab the aperture ring.

Conclusion 1: It seems it makes no sense on producing top quality glass with operating aperture rings and full frame compatibiliy (coverage), if there is no body planned that can take advantage of this features.

Conclusion 2: Considering that ALL aps-c glass built today, NONE have the aperture ring, it is logical to assume there are no plans for a new APSc body with the mechanical aperture ring coupler.

Conclusion 3: Considering the actual FA Limiteds and the other 3 ff compatible lenses are on the "small" side of the spectrum, it would be logical to assume that whatever FF body coming could easily be a mirrorless system with electronic viewfinder. Optical viewfinders are overrated today with all the nice capabilities of electronic VF. In fact, most cameras (compacts) have tossed away the optical.

Anyone agrees?
I don't agree.
All lenses that have aperture ring have not been updated in ages.
Whenever they feel they need to update the design on FF lenses they will also remove aperture ring, but just to remove aperture ring is not enough to update the design. Most of the FF lenses are produced in small volumes, so it probably cost more to make a new design to remove the aperture ring than to keep on producing the old design with aperture ring.

The DFA 100 Macro lost the aperture ring when it was updated a few years ago.
11-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #412
Pentaxian

Count me in, +1 vote for restoring the aperture coupling.
11-12-2014, 06:33 AM   #413
Site Supporter

Count me in also - I would like the smoother operation of the old lenses.

-Joe-

11-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #414
Pentaxian

Count me in. Would be helpful on my 100mm macro
11-12-2014, 09:20 PM   #415
Site Supporter

count me in too
11-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #416
Site Supporter

I don't know if you are still collecting votes, but if so, please count me in.
I have a K50 f1.2, and proper aperture priority metering without having to hit the green button would be wonderful.
11-27-2014, 05:53 AM   #417
Site Supporter

I'm in, though in reality it will be a long time before I'm in the market for another body.
11-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #418
Site Supporter

Being able to use old lenses is a serious benefit for Pentax. Anything that hinders/cripples that is a marketing mistake!
12-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #419
Forum Member

I also support this item. I think a lot of pentax users , specially those keeping some K and M lenses , would be much more happy using the glass with the original method of the k-bayonet , rather than the green button.
12-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #420
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jopenmx Quote
I also support this item. I think a lot of pentax users , specially those keeping some K and M lenses , would be much more happy using the glass with the original method of the k-bayonet , rather than the green button.

Me too. I want real K-mount support.