Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2016, 12:18 AM   #496
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
Yep, you're absolutely right. If you were taking just a few shots between changing aperture then the current system of green button metering would be easier. However, if you were taking a sequence of say 30 shots maybe not. I'd rather enter a value once rather than press a button 30 times, especially as the button presses occur between frames rather than at the beginning of the sequence. Of course, YMMV.
That's why I jot down every single value on a notepad... then it's EXIFToolGUI time at home :-P

Yes, this is also true but you do get at least partial information. With green button metering you get zero aperture information. However this way you get what the camera thinks the aperture is, which is either correct for a correct exposure or incorrect if it doesn't match what's on the lens' aperture ring. But, if you've forgotten to update the aperture setting to the correct value you at least get a clue as to what the correct aperture is. For example, if the setting says 2.8 but it's 2 stops under-exposed you can work out what the actual lens aperture was likely to have been by a simple calculation.
True the calculation thing... even if it could be problematic if the scene isn't one with a straightforward metering... eg. black cat, high contrast alley with bright sky...

There's a custom one on my K-1 that's not doing much atm...
Re. K-1... you lucky... :-X :-P

Last edited by LensBeginner; 10-16-2016 at 01:58 AM.
10-18-2016, 07:35 AM   #497

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
Who still knows what f-stops are?
Good point, Froeschle, how can you teach a newcomer friend if you can't operate the aperture on electronic lenses to show him what happens? Not to say without DOF preview on camera.
A friend of mine called me to teach her a few tricks on her new and first DSLR and 3 lenses (because they were cheap) 2 days before travelling on hollydays.Thought she was joking. She never had a real camera!!!!!!!!, I told her to travel with the I Phone and take a course with a real teacher at her return.

OMG

Oscar
10-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #498
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Isn't that why Pentax cameras have green mode?
12-25-2020, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #499
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
new features in the PENTAX K-3 Mark III that are designed to accommodate older lenses

There are some news for the K-3 III:
QuoteQuote:
When using some older lenses, such as M-series lenses or A-series lenses with a lens aperture ring, previous models provided automatic exposure setting with closed-down metering, made possible by pressing the Green button in the manual-exposure mode.
Designed to automatically perform closed-down metering at the moment of shutter release, the PENTAX K-3 Mark III also provides automatic exposure setting in the Av and TAv modes while the photographer sets the desired aperture using the lens aperture ring.
During Live View photography, it also makes real-aperture metering for the aperture set on the lens aperture ring.
Product Stories of New APS-C "K-3 Mark III" Vol.8 (Wakashiro) | PENTAX official

02-15-2021, 11:02 PM   #500

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
That's big news! And something that might persuade me eventually to upgrade from my k-5. Otherwise it's already too much camera for me.
05-27-2021, 08:44 AM   #501
Pentaxian

Digital blesator arrived with K-3 III:
K-3 III How-to: Using M and K Lenses - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
05-27-2021, 09:24 AM   #502
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brisboy Quote
That's big news! And something that might persuade me eventually to upgrade from my k-5. Otherwise it's already too much camera for me.
I doubt it "is too much camera for" you.
You would grow into it.
On the other hand, "it may be too much camera" for your wallet - it is too much for mine.

I'm expecting them to follow with a lower-tier camera with some of the same software, but without that fancy expensive prism.
Then some users will make the usual complaints about lack of top LCD, lower tier battery, etc.

05-27-2021, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #503

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I doubt it "is too much camera for" you.
You would grow into it.
On the other hand, "it may be too much camera" for your wallet - it is too much for mine.

I'm expecting them to follow with a lower-tier camera with some of the same software, but without that fancy expensive prism.
Then some users will make the usual complaints about lack of top LCD, lower tier battery, etc.
Ha ha, yes. We don't want much. Just all the top tech (or at least specifically the tech that suits us) at a rediculously low price. 😆