Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 60 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #46

Please uncripple my K-500/4,5

09-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The crippled mount is missing the aperture indicating lever connection. If you look at a K/M lens you will see two lever connections that match with two levers readers in the mount. The crippled mount has nothing to tell it what the aperture set is except the electronic connection. This means, for example, that the camera must do stop down metering with the green button on my two M lenses that automatically stops down in my film bodies.
But when you remove the aperture lever, it does the stop down metering all the time, and it can be used in AV mode!

I really don't understand why people want Pentax to go backwards in time instead of forwards.

Why should Pentax have to issue new cameras with old technology, when we can adapt our old lenses to be used on new technology ourselves?

Last edited by Clavius; 09-24-2012 at 11:45 PM.
09-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #48

I miss using the aperture ring on my K and A lenses. And I've never used it on my SMC-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited. Count me in. I also really love the idea of having a GXR module that could do that.
09-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #49

I'm also in (lots of cheap old glass in Japan). What do I do?

Grigoris

09-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #50

I also have an old A 50mm lense which is itself pretty good, and I add my voice here. So, +1 from me.

Should we just post here or is there a petition or a poll somewhere?
09-25-2012, 12:04 AM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Some asked about the interest (i.e.: $$$), and why nikon still have uncrippled mount on high end model.

Nikon have uncrippled mount because some ultra fast and non AF lens are still sold nowadays (like the Ai-s 50/1.2 for 700€).
Plus it's a good way to differentiate the lower end body without in body AF and cripple mount ant top body with in body AF and uncrippled mount.

In the first time Pentax could do the same : uncripple the mount and releasing some older exceptional K lens. Only the coating would need to be different than before. When you see how the samyang lens sell well, Pentax could be a killer with some of it's older glass (and price on the 2nd hand market would really lower down !)
09-25-2012, 12:33 AM   #52

+1, agreed Aurele
Pentax could use it for a new "pro" ligne (instead of the DA*)
Bring us the old Top Pentax lenses

So i am in were do I sign ?

09-25-2012, 01:09 AM   #53
Forum Member

I'm in too. Where do I sign?
The M 20 28 50 200 and the K 135 are waiting.
09-25-2012, 01:27 AM   #54
Forum Member

count me in. I really would like to use my K 50/1.2 on an uncrippled mount!
09-25-2012, 01:39 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
APS-C or FF, I really don't care.
De-crippeling the K-mount, I DO care. Please do it sooner than later
09-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #56
muz

well this is an interesteing topic, really interesting, but my opinion is the following: what about an ff. i think it's time to do something, or not?
I cant' uderstand the utility of such system and i can't see any connection between this and the develop af an ff body! i'm not interested in a de-crippling k mount system if this is only a way for using the old pentax lenses, i would try as soon as possible the old lenses, like the ones i have, on a new ff body, nothing else...
09-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
However they might be able to make an M42 sensor module for Ricoh GXR that has the auto diaphragm control.
Ohhh - that sounds cool!

Christian
09-25-2012, 01:47 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
The *istD and *istDS had both TTL and P-TTL, why go P-TTL only? The answer of course was to sell new flashes and lenses.
I agree that (A-)TTL would be desirable and I sometimes use my *istD exactly for this reason. (A-)TTL measures and uses the reflectance from the film/sensor. The accuracy of this method was claimed to be more imprecise with digital sensors. Most (all?) camera makers thus have moved to a full pre-flash system. Even if some of this reasoning might be questionable, an addition of (A-)TTL should be a bit more complicated (e.g. metering of the shutter curtains instead) than that of a simple aperture coupler.
QuoteQuote:
Why wouldn't it work? Adding back the missing stop-down indicator lever would allow the M and K lenses to tell the camera body what f stop is selected.
It worked with (nearly) all film cameras.
QuoteQuote:
Wouldn't it be better to set up some kind of voting system or counting system? I'm in.
A counter would be a good idea. Maybe this can be implemented in the starting post.
09-25-2012, 01:53 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
APS-C or FF, I really don't care.
De-crippeling the K-mount, I DO care. Please do it sooner than later
Then why not just get an uncrippled K-mount SLR? They can be found everywhere.

I'm serious, I really don't understand what's so hot about an uncrippled K-mount. All it does is let the camera know at what aperture the lens is at so it can then calculate the appropriate shutter speed and iso... But then I'd still use the green button because the actual light measurement should be way more accurate then the information received from ~30 year old worn mechanics.

What? The green button? I don't even use that, I've removed the aperture lever from all my manual lenses so they work in AV-mode. Added benefit of that is the permanent DOF preview. And the fact that I can then mount them on my 5D without the mirror bouncing against the lever.

Last edited by Clavius; 09-25-2012 at 02:06 AM.
09-25-2012, 02:00 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Then why not just get an uncrippled K-mount SLR? They can be found everywhere.

I have too many of those already, including the fantastic MZ-S, on which the first FF DSLR from Pentax was based (with an uncrippled mount)