Show Printable Version 60 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2014, 08:34 AM   #466
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
De-cripple....all for it!

12-30-2014, 02:22 PM   #467

Just a stupid question.

When KA lens has aperture ring and A option, what it really does when it is set to A position?

I'm thinking if it was possible to build some +A converter in stead of just whining more features to cameras...
12-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #468
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anemone Quote
Just a stupid question.

When KA lens has aperture ring and A option, what it really does when it is set to A position?

I'm thinking if it was possible to build some +A converter in stead of just whining more features to cameras...
There are lots of threads about this. The short answer is no. The longer answer is "almost never". (And never with an adapter, as there is no room, but on a few lenses the modification is reasonably easy. On most it is not.)
02-27-2016, 08:23 PM   #469

Hello, I am very happy with my new KS2 but I would be happier if their lenses had aperture rings.
Oh yes , I am old fashioned but practical.

Oscar

02-28-2016, 07:41 AM   #470
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by anemone Quote
Just a stupid question.

This thread seems to have two issues running:
#1 - current bodies do not use (and folks want them to use) the aperture ring on pre-KA lenses to allow full aperture metering and stop down to the set aperture upon shutter release.
#2 - adding an adapter between the adapter and body to do this. (I think this could be done, but either at the loss of infinity focus or with a teleconverter to handle the change in registration distance - but doubt many folks would tolerate either.)

I would like to add another request. Create an adapter for reverse mount lenses to add an aperture ring to those lenses without one. This one should be doable.
02-28-2016, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #471
mee
Veteran Member

I agree! Ricoh should alter the K-mount. They should do so by adding electric contacts to all previous Pentax film bodies to allow for modern AF/SDM lenses. Without this, my photography just can't go on. Who turns a focus ring these days? Just like who pushes a green button to meter? No one can do that!

Further, let's petition Ricoh to enable their line printers to allow for dot-matrix ribbons and their digital projectors to support 333×480 VHS mode natively.

That said, if this works then good for you guys getting what you want. But Ricoh seems to be rather steadfast in innovating with new technology.. (astrotracer, pixel shift, WIFI..) so I wouldn't hold my breath on them changing course and including this.

Also, I don't think the term 'cripple' is accurate in this situation. That is for things damaged. The K-mount isn't damaged in our cameras. No, it just lacks the hardware to do what you want it to do.
02-28-2016, 09:02 AM   #472
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I agree! Ricoh should alter the K-mount. They should do so by adding electric contacts to all previous Pentax film bodies to allow for modern AF/SDM lenses. Without this, my photography just can't go on. Who turns a focus ring these days? Just like who pushes a green button to meter? No one can do that!

Further, let's petition Ricoh to enable their line printers to allow for dot-matrix ribbons and their digital projectors to support 333×480 VHS mode natively.

That said, if this works then good for you guys getting what you want. But Ricoh seems to be rather steadfast in innovating with new technology.. (astrotracer, pixel shift, WIFI..) so I wouldn't hold my breath on them changing course and including this.

Also, I don't think the term 'cripple' is accurate in this situation. That is for things damaged. The K-mount isn't damaged in our cameras. No, it just lacks the hardware to do what you want it to do.
Good points, Mee. The K mount is not crippled in modern cameras. The older lenses are crippled by having an awkward and, now, unnecessary projection which intrudes into the camera body. Let's learn how to use the modern cameras with our old lenses and be happy that we can use them with remarkable ease 40 years after they were manufactured. The K-3II and K-1 are exciting new technology which allow us to do things we never even dreamed of when the old lenses were all we knew.

02-28-2016, 03:40 PM   #473

Hmmmm!!!
I like the aperture rings and I like to turn focusing rings and slide or turn zooming sleeves.
Am I turning old? or I'm just old fashioned? (or both)

A spanish writer called Jorge Manrique once wrote: "Todo tiempo pasado fue mejor". All passed time was better. ( hope it was a fair translation )

Greetings from Chile.

Oscar.

Last edited by oscar; 04-26-2016 at 08:33 AM.
02-28-2016, 04:44 PM   #474
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oscar Quote
Hmmmm!!!
I like the aperture rings and I like to turn focusing rings and slide or turn zooming sleeves.
Am I turning old? or I'm just old fashioned? (or both)
Probably so but it isn't meant as an insult! You're just more comfortable operating with camera gear in a way you remember it from years past.

That said, I recently watched a youtube video of kids trying to operate a walkman cassette player and they couldn't figure it out. When I was their age, that was THE must have item (beyond pump up basketball shoes). And I still buy audio CDs since I can't fathom paying for a highly compressed digital copy alone. We all have our comfort zones.

But, in this case, I don't think Ricoh is going to accommodate regardless of all the commotion created. They wouldn't even include USB 3 on the K-1 due supposedly to keeping the cost as low as they possible could.

hmm well the chic retro cool people seem to like their manual glass (esp if it is European or Russian in origin). So you could be really fashionable too.
04-13-2016, 07:36 PM   #475

Yep of course
04-25-2016, 08:42 PM   #476
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Good points, Mee. The K mount is not crippled in modern cameras. The older lenses are crippled by having an awkward and, now, unnecessary projection which intrudes into the camera body. Let's learn how to use the modern cameras with our old lenses and be happy that we can use them with remarkable ease 40 years after they were manufactured. The K-3II and K-1 are exciting new technology which allow us to do things we never even dreamed of when the old lenses were all we knew.
I have greatly mixed feelings on this. I adopted the green button as my avatar in reaction to the many complaints that the K-1 is "crippled"; people here complain way too much about too many things, and don't show proper appreciation for the things that work much better than they could. On the other hand, I'm convinced that Pentax could develop a modern hybrid {mechanical stuff + electronics} solution to this problem that would add little weight, size, and cost to the camera. The fact that they have not developed this solution tells me that they don't want to do this, presumably for good business reasons, so it is probably time to move on and base our decisions on the assumption that they are not going to change their approach.
04-26-2016, 09:05 AM   #477

Hmmm

I would like a digital K 1000.
It's just my taste. I'm definitely old fashioned ( and old ). But I love my Ks2 with my old 28-200 Samyang, 100-500 Vivitar and 300 mm russian Tair.
They work well once you managed how. (Beware of Ricoh pin on old Ricoh dedicated lenses. Don't try them (I did it and got stuck) unless you remove it. There are posts about it. Use "search").

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/293991-infa...ight=ricoh+pin

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/231920-rico...ight=ricoh+pin

Greetings

Oscar.

Last edited by oscar; 04-26-2016 at 07:01 PM. Reason: completing idea
04-26-2016, 08:54 PM   #478

An other Hmmm

MEE wrote: "Also, I don't think the term 'cripple' is accurate in this situation. That is for things damaged. The K-mount isn't damaged in our cameras. No, it just lacks the hardware to do what you want it to do."

After getting my oldies to work on my KS2 (not very easy) and re-reding some posts, I agree with you, MEE.
Since the lenses work without problem, it is clear that the software in the camera permits it. But you have to dig into the settings to program the feature. Boring. And pressing the green button for metering is ackwards.
Why not a preset button that instantly puts everything manual at one touch and disables it at a second one? And as we are talking about manual focus, the same button could enable metering
with the shutter first touch. After all, you press the shutter after focusing, which is done full open, the same as the last film cameras.By the way, the button has to be matte chrome finished. Obvious. Ha Ha!
OMG, it is late. 0:30. I'm begining to think nonsenses.
Sorry, I was just dreaming for a while. Long live Pentax.
Forgive my english, it is ways from perfect but I think understandable.

Greetings:

Oscar
04-27-2016, 02:39 AM   #479
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by oscar;3619887:
Why not a preset button that instantly puts everything manual at one touch and disables it at
a second one? And as we are talking about manual focus, the same button could enable
metering
with the shutter first touch. After all, you press the shutter after focusing, which is done full
open, the same as the last film cameras.
Great idea! Why not just have a "Pre-A lens mode" on the mode dial, in which the camera would stop down and meter at half press, or it could just be possible to assign that feature to a user mode. I could live with that.
04-27-2016, 03:07 AM   #480
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Great idea! Why not just have a "Pre-A lens mode" on the mode dial, in which the camera would stop down and meter at half press, or it could just be possible to assign that feature to a user mode. I could live with that.

Programming the User modes for this and also for the M42 lenses with manual sounds like a good idea. Must look into it!

That would use 2 of the 3 on the K3. So far I had not thought of what I would do with them, seemed like one of the more obscure features.