Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2008, 05:06 AM   #16
Veteran Member

System Prospect

Well, I would compare the prospects between the two systems. Minolta users will have the basic level interesting DSLR A300 and A350 to Full Frame 24MP DSLR to be chosen from in middle 2008. For Pentax, we probably will only have the K20D and K200D for the rest of the year as the "upgrade" option.

Hopefully, if Pentax can have a FF DSLR in early 2009, I shall be very glad.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
After using the K10D for a good month at work I can make a very rough comparison to the Konica-Minoltas I've used before (applies to the Sony system as well) about pros and cons.
There's two really weighty advantages to Pentax:
1. The DNG output. Wish every camera maker would adapt this instead of camera-specific RAW files that are a problem for software makers and consumers now and for everybody a few years from now.
2. The wide-angle lenses, 14 mm and 12-24 mm. Very odd indeed that no other lens line-up includes these two lenses that are for APS-C what the workhorses 20 mm and 17-35 were for 35 mm. These are just about indispensable for a reporter.

Now the cons - and this is only relative to the Konica-Minoltas of which I have experience. They all belong to the category ergonomics.

1. You don't have a catch-all setting for focus, like the Minolta A-setting which is supposed to automatically switch between single and continuous focus, and to some degree even works.
2. You cannot choose to always have release priority for the shutter. So if you are on C-focus your release will stick all too often in low light.
3. Theres no really handy way of balancing ambient light and flash (direct or bounce). As a press photographer this is what you just about every time have to do , in settings with quickly moving subjects and bad light. Minolta has the very handy AEL-button that allows you to pick a light reading and set the camera to slow flash sync just by pressing one button once.
4. The flash operations have too many variables (f e setting the output both at the external flash and the camera) and hence too much uncertainty. I wouldn't dare trying wireless flash in a real situation with Pentax.
5. The Minolta flash shoe is simply far better than the ISO one.

I know there's a lot of people on the forum who know a lot of more pro's for the K10D. These are just my reflections on features that are important for press work or something resembling it. And I'm only comparing the mentioned cameras.
The jury is still out on wether I will continue with Pentax or the new Sonys. I will be interested to hear about the handling features of the K20D, if there has been any improvement. As far as pixels are concerned 10.6 is quite enough for me and my work but who listens.
- Mathias

02-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Can someone explain to me why you would even want shutter release priority? That seems like a total waste, since you will end up with a out of focus image. How is that ever a good thing?

I think a better solution is just AF cancel, and then manual focus if the focus is hunting.
02-04-2008, 10:05 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Can someone explain to me why you would even want shutter release priority? That seems like a total waste, since you will end up with a out of focus image. How is that ever a good thing?

I think a better solution is just AF cancel, and then manual focus if the focus is hunting.
1. Slightly out of focus is sometimes better than no picture at all.
2. There are situations where the focus is actually correct but the camera still tries to confirm it.
3. When the subject or the camera is moving you may have to take a chance anyway. Having focus priority made sense as long as you had to pay for each film frame. It's less indispensable with digital.
02-04-2008, 10:43 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
If you are shooting manual, this is always going to take longer. If I want to use PTTL auto mode all I have to do is turn on the flash in the right mode. I dont understand your problem.

Perhaps this will help....the following table tells you which flash modes default to fill and shich to auto. If you use any "fill" mode the camera will meter for ambient light and the flash will just provide fill which you can adjust if necessary.

http://i.pbase.com/o6/89/257389/1/83050177.nxAspXBD.Flashmodes.jpg

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
The reason I use flash is mostly that ambient light is insufficient. The typical situation is indoors, a VIP walking past or stopping in a place where theres not enough light on his or her face, but the background might be better lit and it only needs to be hinted at, anyway. So you need to underexpose in relation to the ambient EV, but have the flash expose correctly.
The K10D has a really good one-button function for exposure adjustment but it affects flash output too. So you would have to adjust the camera exposure down, the flash up to get it right.
Of course you can do it. But it isn't elegant or foolproof I'm talking about what works for me

02-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I believe that "an unfocussed picture is better than none at all" is a specious argument. I have heard it alot to criticize the Pentax double check in focussing which arguably makes the AF slower, as opposed to other brands that don't use this check (and often end up with unfocussed images.) No AF focussing method is better than the "protein computer" you have sitting behind the viewfinder. If the AF is hunting, or you suspect it may hunt due to poor lighting, a simple push of the AF cancel, and manual focussing will not only get you there quick, but get the shot in focus.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 02-04-2008 at 12:03 PM.
02-04-2008, 12:41 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
If the AF is hunting, or you suspect it may hunt due to poor lighting, a simple push of the AF cancel, and manual focussing will not only get you there quick, but get the shot in focus.
Please correct me if I am wrong here, but doesn't pushing the AF button simply cancel AF, and not let you manual focus the lens (at least on the FA 43/1.9)? I believe what you say is true for the new DA lenses, but it doesn't seem to work that way on my FA.

Btw, this is one feature that I really miss from the A700, where ALL lenses allow you to manual focus when you hit the AF button.
02-04-2008, 02:56 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
The reason I use flash is mostly that ambient light is insufficient. The typical situation is indoors, a VIP walking past or stopping in a place where theres not enough light on his or her face, but the background might be better lit and it only needs to be hinted at, anyway. So you need to underexpose in relation to the ambient EV, but have the flash expose correctly.
The K10D has a really good one-button function for exposure adjustment but it affects flash output too. So you would have to adjust the camera exposure down, the flash up to get it right.
Of course you can do it. But it isn't elegant or foolproof I'm talking about what works for me
And I'm saying you just have to select the right flash mode and leave it set throughout your shoot. The camera exposure only affects the flash output in the auto modes, not in the fill modes. C'mon I'm trying to help here.
02-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ankit Quote
Please correct me if I am wrong here, but doesn't pushing the AF button simply cancel AF, and not let you manual focus the lens (at least on the FA 43/1.9)? I believe what you say is true for the new DA lenses, but it doesn't seem to work that way on my FA.

Btw, this is one feature that I really miss from the A700, where ALL lenses allow you to manual focus when you hit the AF button.
Correct for the older FA. In that case you simple throw the switch on the front to manual