Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

Focusing Screen vs Viewfinder

Hey, one of the advantages I often hear for full-frame is typically "bigger, brighter viewfinders." Now I am curious as to whether that is referring mostly to the focusing screen as opposed to the mirror and eyecup. I am fine with the SIZE of the viewfinder on my DSLRs for what I do as far as composition, but they could be brighter. So I have been thinking about ponying up and grabbing a Katzeye to improve my experience with fast manual primes. In for example the K-x, would a brighter focusing screen knock off one of the "brighter viewfinder" full-frame advantages? I am aware of exposure issues mainly with wide open apertures with spot metering, but that sort of thing is why i use Manual mode anyway.

09-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The size of the eyepiece is the same as it always was -- it is the view you get that is much bigger with full-frame. Looking through an APS-C you see a big black border with a view in the middle. On a full-frame you see a big view with a small black border.
09-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brandonbpm Quote
In for example the K-x, would a brighter focusing screen knock off one of the "brighter viewfinder" full-frame advantages?
In short, no. And depending on the type of screen you put in it might actually get darker. Although with split prism it is easier to focus.

If you want to see what the FF advocates are talking about pick up an old film camera with big view finder. You just will not understand until you do that. Then you wonder why your current viewfinder is so bad. So on reflection, don't look at old film cameras, you will just be upset.
09-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
In short, no. And depending on the type of screen you put in it might actually get darker. Although with split prism it is easier to focus.

If you want to see what the FF advocates are talking about pick up an old film camera with big view finder. You just will not understand until you do that. Then you wonder why your current viewfinder is so bad. So on reflection, don't look at old film cameras, you will just be upset.
You know, before I got my K10D, I had not used an SLR in many years. And it never occurred to me that the view was any smaller than it had ever been. For 3 years or so all was fine, then last year I got on this forum and learned that my viewfinder sucked and I couldn't see anything. So I picked up a film SLR and yes, it sure is bigger, but nevertheless I don't experience them much different -- it isn't like the full-frame is magnified or anything -- it just has more stuff in it. I don't find it easier to see anything or focus easier in one or the other.

09-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
So on reflection, don't look at old film cameras, you will just be upset.

Unfortunately I can remember and I still have a couple of LX's, just rub salt into the wound that is DSLR viewfinders.