Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #1

Why cant the viewfinder be bigger?

Im wondering why it has to be full frame to get the viewfinder bigger? If someone has looked through the mx viewfinder you can see its bigger than most film cameras. So why cant dslrs have bigger screen?

09-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For the same reason the mount doesn't have an aperture coupling, cost. BTW, the K-5 has a 100% viewfinder, the MX was a 95% viewfinder. The best viewfinder Pentax made in the manual focus era was only 98%.

K-5 viewfinder:
0.92x, 100%

MX viewfinder:
0.97x, 95%

The K series all had 0.88x viewfinders, the A & P series had 0.82x viewfinders.

Last edited by boriscleto; 09-25-2012 at 03:17 PM.
09-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the mirror and the VF are the same size as the sensor. the VF could be made bigger, but there would be bracket in it to represente the size of the sensor (to help during the framing) thus making it useless.

if you can find a rangefinder with a fix lens on it, you'll likely see this kind of bracket representing the size of the frame that will be on the film.

I'll try to post a picture.

the only way to not have this kind of problem is EVF. It's like a computer screen, you can make it the size you want, it will always display the same thing on it.
09-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cost has something to do with it, I imagine. More to the point is that, for a given format, the amount of light striking the focussing screen is dependent on the f-stop of the lens being used. You can't increase the size of the screen, because in an SLR it has to be no more than the size of the sensor or film frame, so the only thing that's left to adjust is the magnification of the eyepiece. When you do that, the brightness of the viewfinder is decreased in proportion. This hardly matters much in broad daylight, but does matter in low light, particularly if you're using manual focus.

09-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

As been mentioned, cost and size. But they can be a bit bigger and brighter than the dark-ish tunnels usually associated with APS-C bodies. Check out the D2X OVF at DPR's review - bigger and brighter, but not quite as big as a full frame OVF on an equivalent level of camera.

I'd love for Pentax to produce an APS-C model with a similar OVF. I'd pay the extra for being able to see through a good OVF. But that's me. Not everyone sees much of a difference or is willing to pay a bit more.
09-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The viewfinder has to be the same size of the mirror, which then is the same size as the sensor.

The only thing left to work with is the magnification. Also, using a pentaprism instead of the pentamirror used on the entry level models makes a difference on brightness.
09-26-2012, 04:31 AM   #7

Original Poster
Yes i mean the magnification inside the viewfinder. To make it possible I think they have to make the camera a little bit higher to fit in an extra magnifying glass to make the viewfinder look bigger.

If Pentax would release a full frame I think they should make the viewfinder like the MX to attract buyers.

09-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the image is magnified, wouldn't it be darker? The same light would be spread over a larger area. I'd like a bigger VF, it would be very nice. Maybe I'll eventually buy one of the exterior magnifiers, but I see those have their issues as well.
09-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
If the image is magnified, wouldn't it be darker? The same light would be spread over a larger area. I'd like a bigger VF, it would be very nice. Maybe I'll eventually buy one of the exterior magnifiers, but I see those have their issues as well.
I have the TENPA 1.36x eyepiece and it looks like this on my K-5:

https://plus.google.com/100940526701263911236/posts/UXSpc4dmRxr

It's really nice, especially together with the canon ee-S focusing screen.
pro: - Much easier manual focusing especially on wider lenses
- Very easy to take off and put back on
con: - it's almost impossible to view the whole frame without moving your eye a bit, this takes time to get used to and it makes composition harder.
09-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
Forum Member

One of the LX finders is greater than 1x magnification. The downside is reduced eye relief so people wearing glasses (and maybe people without) have to move their eyes around to see the edges of the frame.
09-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #11
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by striker_ Quote
So why cant dslrs have bigger screen?
They have these days. It's activated via the Lv button.
09-28-2012, 02:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
They have these days. It's activated via the Lv button.
LOL or the HDMI output
09-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
As been mentioned, cost and size. But they can be a bit bigger and brighter than the dark-ish tunnels usually associated with APS-C bodies. Check out the D2X OVF at DPR's review - bigger and brighter, but not quite as big as a full frame OVF on an equivalent level of camera.

I'd love for Pentax to produce an APS-C model with a similar OVF. I'd pay the extra for being able to see through a good OVF. But that's me. Not everyone sees much of a difference or is willing to pay a bit more.
I´d buy that body without thinking twice! In my experience that is the thing that bugs me the most. Great bodys, great lenses, but when i put on a manual i squint until my eye waters and still aint sure whats going on with my picture Big viewfinder would probably put a (little) lid on FF maniacs like myself.

edit: yes i used the magnifying eyepiece
09-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vanheden Quote
I´d buy that body without thinking twice! In my experience that is the thing that bugs me the most. Great bodys, great lenses, but when i put on a manual i squint until my eye waters and still aint sure whats going on with my picture Big viewfinder would probably put a (little) lid on FF maniacs like myself.

edit: yes i used the magnifying eyepiece
Squinting, to me sounds like the eyepeice diopter is not adjusted correctly.

you might want to take a look at the adjustment because that can make a world of difference
09-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vanheden Quote
Big viewfinder would probably put a (little) lid on FF maniacs like myself.
Agreed - the vf size of APS-C is my main complaint. It certainly would be possible to use a mirror and finder large enough for FF with an APS sensor.
For example, the D600 FF body will show the FF view, but also show a reduced APS-C "frame" around the portion to be used when in DX mode. (It can use just a portion of the sensor when you want to use APS-C format.)
The same could have been done with the K-5 and its APS-C sensor: use the larger mirror and VF with a frameline showing the image to be recorded. This would have the advantage of showing what is just outside of the frame, like a rangefinder camera.