Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2012, 04:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In lightroom I can process both DNG and PEF files and I didn't notice significant difference. Maybe other SW has poor DNG support, but I would not expect that from Adobe.

Then to you previous question - I skipped both K20D and K-7 and jumped from the K10D straight to K-5. As an early adopter I experienced some of the issues, but still this is the camera body that made me feel I do not ever need to upgrade to larger senzor size. If ever released, I will probably still be tempted to get full frame Pentax, but that would be pure luxury. I do not need a better camera.

09-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #17

For what it's worth, I went from a k20D to a K30 just last month and I am more than happy. The K-30 is a bit more compact, but fits my long-fingered hand just fine. It's a bit less substantial feeling and a bit lighter, but I noticed no "plastic-y" feeling, at least like I do when I hold an entry-level Canon. I use a back-button autofocus setup, so I'm not able to use the AE Lock function on the K-30, since it has 1 button that is tasked to either AFL or AEL. However, I very rarely used the AEL function on the K20D, so I'm not missing that so far. I love the low-light performance of the K-30, as well as the snappier focusing over the K20D.

So, I am quite happy with this upgrade, but, admittedly, it's a very subjective thing and others will disagree.
09-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Huge, no in raw noise redaction, better colors.
So you're saying if you set DNG in your K-5 rather than PEF, you'll get a different image? I used to use when shooting PEF because it worked a little better in camera, but with the K-5 I switched to DNG since it didn't seem to matter anymore. But in all cases, the first thing I do is convert to DNG on import to Lightroom. If it is already DNG from the cam, I can skip that step.
09-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
So you're saying if you set DNG in your K-5 rather than PEF, you'll get a different image? I used to use when shooting PEF because it worked a little better in camera, but with the K-5 I switched to DNG since it didn't seem to matter anymore. But in all cases, the first thing I do is convert to DNG on import to Lightroom. If it is already DNG from the cam, I can skip that step.
I also use DNG because its the common standard supported by all pp software

09-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NewportPreacher Quote
For what it's worth, I went from a k20D to a K30 just last month and I am more than happy. The K-30 is a bit more compact, but fits my long-fingered hand just fine. It's a bit less substantial feeling and a bit lighter, but I noticed no "plastic-y" feeling, at least like I do when I hold an entry-level Canon. I use a back-button autofocus setup, so I'm not able to use the AE Lock function on the K-30, since it has 1 button that is tasked to either AFL or AEL. However, I very rarely used the AEL function on the K20D, so I'm not missing that so far. I love the low-light performance of the K-30, as well as the snappier focusing over the K20D.

So, I am quite happy with this upgrade, but, admittedly, it's a very subjective thing and others will disagree.
One of these days i will go to a store and see if I can try both models.
09-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hansenn Quote
AFAIK PEF and DNG are the same thing in a different format, i.e. it doesn't matter which you set the camera to. Maybe the poster was referring to difference between PEF & JPG (which *is* a huge difference) rather than between the two RAW formats? Does the K-30 even have PEF? I think I heard is just uses DNG -- is that right?
09-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
AFAIK PEF and DNG are the same thing in a different format, i.e. it doesn't matter which you set the camera to. Maybe the poster was referring to difference between PEF & JPG (which *is* a huge difference) rather than between the two RAW formats? Does the K-30 even have PEF? I think I heard is just uses DNG -- is that right?
I use DNG, but it was someone else who said PEF is better than DNG

Btw: there is another thread about this issue: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/146235-dng-vs-pentax-raw-format.html

09-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

PEF was specially created to work with PRIME(witch is like IBM powerPC processor on old Macs and PRIME M is Pentax transition to x86 architecture sort of,that why the is no PEF on K-01 and K30) processors in camera. DNG is like Sigma lenses can work on any system but native lens still better.
09-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There was a point when PEF files were substantially smaller which was the main appeal to PEF for me.

really? didn't know that.
What about compatibility with Lightroom/photoshop?
You have to have a recent enough version of them for the camera model you are using. For example, I can handle the K20d PEF and K200d PEF with CS3, but not K-5 PEF.
09-28-2012, 06:00 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Huge, no in raw noise redaction, better colors.
Based on measurements, I don't think anyone would be able to tell the different between the best FF sensor and the best APS-C in areas such as; color, tonal range and DR. Granted, there would be a notable difference in noise performance insofar as processing and high ISO goes, but... for many people, this wouldn't be very evident either. ie. mostly RAW shooters doing alot of push processing etc.

And so In many ways, the FF advantage would cater to a very small crowd in the end. Which is likely why Pentax isn't interested in developing a FF system at this time. And though I'm sure this will likely change over time, I'm just not convinced it will happen any time soon tbh.
09-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure if I could find justification to buy the new K5IIs over a K5/K30 at the expected price. I upgraded from the K200D to the K5 in April and the difference was huge. Definitely worth it.

Alternatively you could get a K-01 as a more compact body until the K-3 comes out next year. I'm pretty excited about the K-3 being a substantial upgrade from the K-5. The K-5IIs is better but doesn't really excite me like some. I'm hoping at some point to get the K-01 (or replacement) and pair it with a K-3 or FF body but I'm in a budget freeze for awhile.
09-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
I'm not sure if I could find justification to buy the new K5IIs over a K5/K30 at the expected price. I upgraded from the K200D to the K5 in April and the difference was huge. Definitely worth it.

Alternatively you could get a K-01 as a more compact body until the K-3 comes out next year. I'm pretty excited about the K-3 being a substantial upgrade from the K-5. The K-5IIs is better but doesn't really excite me like some. I'm hoping at some point to get the K-01 (or replacement) and pair it with a K-3 or FF body but I'm in a budget freeze for awhile.
Since nobody seemed to ask them about anything but full-frame possibility, does anyone have any earthly idea what major upgrades might be in a new flagship APS-C model? Better AF, sure, but any earth-shattering changes? Maybe they'll get their flash system together...