Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
With New Jerseyites, Quebecers and Vermontians out of the way, the path to victory is wide-open!
LOL! also "Each Entry consists of an entry form, a single image, and an entry fee. The entry fee is US$15 per entry", so $15 per pic submitted

09-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

All I have to say is that #12 is absolutely hilarious. Guy throws rock at big cat, big cat throws self at guy.
09-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Terrific photos, Heie. Good luck in competition. I may submit this one

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/84539-sigma-10-20mm-club-100.html#post1552436
09-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

When I looked at many of those NatGeo photos I didn't see the tech as much as the a story being told.

I'd also bet that a lot of those photos were taken with point-and-shoots rather than expensive FF DSLRs.

09-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A lot of good photos there, and who knows what camera is being used.

I like it that Nat. Geographic doesn't put up technical info (at least to my knowledge), it's all about the image.

I think a lot of the fascination is seeing photos from scenes we havent seen ourselves in person.

From that page, I liked the elephant and the birds at the watering hole, and the leopard attacking was shocking to see.

Sometimes it could be being in the right place at the right time.
09-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
All I have to say is that #12 is absolutely hilarious. Guy throws rock at big cat, big cat throws self at guy.
Well, not really "hilarious" is it?

Whilst it did indeed serves him right, the animal may have been protecting cubs and gets shot or captured in the process.
09-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hegemon Quote
Hey guys,

What do you think, could some of these pictures have been taken with a Pentax camera and if so which one? Would the K-30 be able to reproduce similar results or would the K5-II be more appropriate? I'm not claiming that I have the skills to shoot like the pros which took these but one can dream right? We can always aspire to improve! Thanks.

National Geographic Photo Contest 2012 - In Focus - The Atlantic
You need to look around the threads where users here post their own photos. There is remarkable talent here on the forum.

I agree with the others. I have never used a K30, but the issue isn't the camera. Not the arrow but rather the indian!

09-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies! I just wanted to get feedback from your "trained eyes" since I cannot distinguish between FF and APS-C.
Neither can anyone else.
09-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I just wanted to get feedback from your "trained eyes" since I cannot distinguish between FF and APS-C.

Sure, the pros can do it with ease ...
Whoa there. Don't jump the gun so easy.

I am of the school that cameras are tools and APS-C is superior in some thing and FF is superior in other things.

Telling the difference merely by looking at a shot is very difficult if not impossible.

My opinion is photography is artistic expression. With a crop sensor you have things a FF cannot do and with a FF you have some visual effects that a crop cannot do.

That being said, it would be a good topic to discuss because I am most certain a whole bunch of people will argue with me
09-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
If anyone claims to be able to tell what size of sensor was used when taking a particular shot, I'd love to see them prove it.
09-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #26
Site Supporter

You're welcome and glad to know Pentaxians will be represented! Nice pictures!

Adam: Maybe you could change topic so we'll make others aware of the Nat Geo contest.
How is the title now?
09-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #27

Original Poster
Perfect, thank you Blue!
09-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Thanks for the link, some stunning images in there, good luck to all who enter.
09-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #29
Banned

Hey guys,

What do you think, could some of these pictures have been taken with a Pentax camera and if so which one? Would the K-30 be able to reproduce similar results or would the K5-II be more appropriate? I'm not claiming that I have the skills to shoot like the pros which took these but one can dream right? We can always aspire to improve! Thanks.

National Geographic Photo Contest 2012 - In Focus - The Atlantic
wow, thanks, didn't looked into that before. You have to pay $15 for every entry, so picking the right image is important for poor Pentaxian's

Wich one of this series I made I should choose?
85 images made with 645D
09-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #30
Banned

O and this is hilarious:

CONTEST IS VOID IN CUBA, IRAN, NEW JERSEY, NORTH KOREA, THE PROVINCE OF QUEBEC, SUDAN, SYRIA, VERMONT AND WHERE PROHIBITED.

So what is excactly the connection between New Jersey and those other fine Nations?