Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Planning on upgrading to the K-5IIs but problem is I got a few dust under my LCD panel on my K-5 so it'll be hard to sell, fml.
That's a very serious problem. I'll come pick it up now.

10-07-2012, 10:53 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Site Supporter

I feel so bad for the folks who live in anguish because Pentax--as always--doesn't give a rip about keeping up with the Jones's, the market or anything else. That's how the Pentax brand has always functioned. They don't care about market share in the least little bit. It's far more simple..."if we sell 1000 items at a fair market profit margin then we can continue as a company". How many million of that item the other brands sell doesn't seem to matter to Pentax. I'm guessing the Ricoh connection will change this a bit...

I have owned and shot the film 35mm bodies--LX, PZ1p, MZ-S; the 67II system, a couple Pentax point and shoots and several DSLRs including currently carrying the K5 and K-01. As an active amateur photog I've sold perhaps 1000 images published in various magazines and another few dozen used in ads, parks brochures etc. Plus have sold fine art prints for as much as $2500 for a single framed print. So I speak from decades of experience, and I'm going to speak fairly harshly.

1. If you are highly technically involved, you will save yourself plenty of hand wringing by shifting to a different brand right away. Perhaps working as a "tinkerer" and disassembling and tweaking various photo products would be more fun?

2. There will NEVER be a full frame Pentax digital body--sorry Adam and others, but that's what I believe. The most recent interviews from the trade shows make this quite clear, the interviewees just wouldn't state it so bluntly.

3. 99% of shooters of all brands have never had an image printed as big as 30"x40" nor have ever submitted any images for paid print publication. For those 99% for whom photography only exists on a computer monitor (or in a tiny snapshot print), the camera inside a cell phone is more than sufficient for all photography needs. So really, the only reason for 99% of shooters to own a DSLR is to have fun with it. If you are in that 99%, all you need to do is assess what it is that brings you fun and enjoyment and buy the products that enhance that fun and enjoyment. That may or may not be Pentax...no problem, Pentax couldn't care less whether you choose their fun offerings or some other brand. They simply produce the fun stuff they produce.

I live by the hedonic ethic more than most and I really enjoy my Pentax gear. Every time I shoot through that big FA*600/4 it gives me a charge! I melt while shooting through the FA*200 Macro and the perspective from the DA*15 is just right for my "smile meter." I recently stood just an hour South of the location of the OP and took photo after photo of the abundant wintergreen blooming in the Olympic Mountains overlooking Hood Canal. Took a few minutes to scatter some of my grandma and grandpa's ashes from an overlook filled with wildflowers. Then caught low tide and harvested a limit of oysters in between tide pool macro work with the 100 WR macro. Returned home (3 states away) to find a check and sample print from a national sports publication with a live action national-level wrestling photo I sold them.

Honestly, I just don't understand the feelings of inadequacy that some Pentax Forum members seem to exhibit. It's all about fun and if Pentax ain't fun for you, you should probably just move on...no hard feelings from any of us here on the forum and no hard feelings from Pentax corporate.

PHOTOGRAPHY IS FUN--GO SHOOT!
10-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ron Boggs - RIGHT ON!
And I have no problems recommending Pentax to others. I have recommended to many people (I have taught photo courses, film and digital, for years now) that if their father/uncle/grandfather/whoever left their Pentax glass behind, it would be less expensive to buy a Pentax DSLR and use those lenses.

However, I also strongly recommend that each and every student to go to a proper photo store (not Walmart) and try them in hand. All the brands. If it doesn't feel right, don't buy it. Buy the one that feels best to you. After all, if you aren't comfortable with the camera, you're wasting your money.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
PHOTOGRAPHY IS FUN--GO SHOOT!