Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Pentaxian

If Pentax brings out a full frame, what about my lenses ?

I have a K-5, along with a K10D and a K-m. All work, all produce fine photos.

My issue is that I have a whole passel of Pentax digital lenses.

I have a 55-300, 10-17 fish eye, 16-45, 50 F 1.4 normal, 50 Macro F 2.8, 70 Limited, 12-24.

If Pentax brings out a full frame DSLR I think I can only use my two ' 50's...the normal and the macro.

The rest are good for ASP-C only...I believe, please correct me if I am wrong.

I have bought all these lenses since 2007 and have a fair investment in them.

Can I use them in a full frame camera and if so will the resulting photo result negate the purpose of full frame...re; high quality photo's ?

I'm sure there are others with this issue.

09-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do hope that the Pentax full-frame will also be able to use APS-C lenses in cropped mode, just like Nikon DSLRs allow. On the Nikon D3x, for instance, if you mount a DX (APS-C) format lens, the viewfinder becomes smaller and only half the sensor (corresponding to the smaller format) gets used.

If they don't implement such a feature, then many current Pentax users certainly won't want to upgrade to the full-frame...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As you have conjectured, you'd be S.O.L. for "forward compatibility"...unless they bring out a 36MP full frame like the D800 with a ~16MP crop mode. If that's the case, you could use your current lenses with no hit to IQ vs. a K-5., and then slowly pick and choose which focal lengths that you want to upgrade.

However, I've been shooting Pentax for almost 30 years, so I naturally have a lot of full frame compatible glass, and if it makes you feel any better, I'm not at all convinced that you won't have the last laugh.

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 09-29-2012 at 04:01 PM.
09-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The sensor technology is available for 36Mp with 16Mp crop mode. It wouldn't be inconceivable for Pentax to offer such a feature for a FF camera. However, that wouldn't make much of an advantage for a Pentaxian heavily invested in DA lenses as opposed to FA lenses. There are only two DFA designated lenses and whilst this could easily change, it'll be quite a work in progress to have enough FF lenses available for a FF camera to be widely appreciated by FF hopefuls, let alone the existing Pentax userbase.

09-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Crop mode is alsow avaibel on 24mp FF gets aproxemetly 10mp shots D600 has that.
09-29-2012, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Its not like your APS-C DSLR(s) would stop working all of a sudden just because there is a FF?
09-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Its not like your APS-C DSLR(s) would stop working all of a sudden just because there is a FF?
What I mean Douglas is if Pentax were to bring out a full frame and if I were to buy a Pentax FF, I would have a number of lenses that were of limited use.

09-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I use my wife's 16-45 on my film camera from 21mm onwards with no problems.
09-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I would have a number of lenses that were of limited use.
Basically yes. It's the same story in Nikon or Canon land. They both have lots of lenses that are designed to fit their APS-C bodies but not their FF bodies.

All your existing lenses will mount on a Pentax FF, some will work 100% fine, others will just probably vignette to varying degrees (the precise amount of which will vary by focal length and aperture). There is a thread in the Lens section that shows how many APS-C Pentax lenses will likely perform on FF.

FWIW a lot of FF shooters keep a crop body around as a backup, and to take advantage of the strengths of crop - eg the 1.5 crop factor is handy for telephoto, crop bodies and lenses are generally lighter etc. It's no disaster to have both types of bodies and lenses around in your kit.
09-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I just want a FF body sometime in my working lifetime.

I'll worry about lenses then (all mine are actually OK for FF), except they're old school now and make lack the ability to resolve in a way to do the new sensors justice. Again I'll worry about that when the day comes.
09-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
As you have conjectured, you'd be S.O.L. for "forward compatibility"...unless they bring out a 36MP full frame like the D800 with a ~16MP crop mode. If that's the case, you could use your current lenses with no hit to IQ vs. a K-5., and then slowly pick and choose which focal lengths that you want to upgrade.

However, I've been shooting Pentax for almost 30 years, so I naturally have a lot of full frame compatible glass, and if it makes you feel any better, I'm not at all convinced that you won't have the last laugh.
The D700 also has a crop mode!
09-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would be more than willing to crop the 10-17 and 12-24 in PP. I put them on my Super-Program, just to have a look through the VF and they are wicked, even with the vignetting.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 09-30-2012 at 03:17 PM.
09-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #13
Banned

Photos: Albums
Let's worry about crossing that bridge when we get to it.