Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2012, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I don't necessarily want a touch screen, I can see many uses for a tilting or swiveling screen. And people say its extra thickness would mean your nose would hit it more, but that is already happening. With a swivel screen you could at least move it out of the way of the nose (close it or open it to the side of the camera)
I think these tiny screens have made massive progress, look at how thin and high quality screens on smartphones are. I just can't believe that this is a technical impossibility. The only problem is that it would cost a little to implement and that some people whine how tilting screens "aren't pro." Those people can just go ahead and make a pinhole camera out of a shoe box, to eliminate all non-essential comfort. That's "pro", right?

10-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #32

What the lack of even a tilting LCD, let alone fully-articulated version - particularly in the context of the 'weather-resistant' K30 and higher models, seems to mean, is that certain DSLR makers aren't able to build an articulating or even tilting screen, and weather-seal the joint. That such a screen would be 'bulky' or soon 'go floppy-jointed' is absurd. My Canon SX10 - about K200D vintage in age - has a fully-articulated LCD, that's as 'firm' as the day it was bought - and it's used all the time - as I usually in hand-held mode and between uses have it folded inward to fully protect the screen, but the LCD is used for Macro, and on tripod for set shots with Timer, and for Video.

The alternative tilt-only screen is the 3" version on my Fuji HS10 - and in 2 years of use, that one is still nicely firm in its functions, too. The idea that such tilt-screens need to be bulky, and/or don't leave enough space for buttons and controls, is absurd. That is - the HS10 has more than adequate "nose space" for the Viewfinder - and makes the K30 look 'sparse' for number of external buttons it has. With that camera - if a User was "anti-tilt-screen" - they could just leave it in place - it takes up no more space than my K30's also 3" screen.

If Pentax can "WR" the thin and flimsy battery/card opening door on the K30 - "WR-ing" a closed tilt-screen joint should be a walk-in....

Incidentally - re the battery/card door - for the K31-etc - Pentax might take a look at the battery/card doors on the SX10 and HS10 (both are 4 x AA battery, too) - in particular the Canon - that one's built to last!

As for a 3" tilting LCD and more buttons fitting neatly on a K30 size camera body......

(The EVF/LCD button to the lower right of the viewfinder is a positive switch between Viewfinder-only and LCD-only, so the LCD doesn't flash in your face while using the viewfinder - another button the "K31" might beneficially gain... After a shot you can just hit the ">" button to look at the image - pressing it again returns to Viewfinder-only or Liveview-only - whichever the EVF/LCD button is holding selected. When viewing the images, the ISO button, top-left, gives 18-steps of magnification up, and return down is with the AE button below ISO.)

(Attrib. Fuji Australia.)

Regards, Dave.

Last edited by exwintech; 10-06-2012 at 09:24 AM.
10-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The problem is that with an TTL OVF there is difficult to make the OVF as good if using using a articulated LCD. And as Pentax use sensor shift they have to put the LCD even further back on the camera. As the OVF is connected to the optical path of lens mount it is difficult to move the OVF without making major changes to the specification of the camera. On a EVF camera you can put the viewfinder anywhere you want and have very little restrictions in the design.

So comparing EVF cameras with DSLR make little sense IMO. For Pentax it would be very easy to make a K02 with EVF and articulated LCD without compromizing the viewfinder, but not so easy on a DSLR.
10-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How about a tilting lcd on the K-01..? (Perhaps that offended the Newsom design team).

I would get a K-01 in a heartbeat as my `snapshot' backup if its lcd tilted.

10-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #35

Fogel70 - Sorry, I thought folk here would already know, or would have noted it in the previous post.... That is - not "compared LCD screens with the HS10 P&S with EVF..... " That was actually more about there being space on a K30 size body for "more buttons" along with a 3" LCD.

Indeed, the correct comparison for LCD on a DSLR - is with another DSLR.... Other makers apparently don't find it too difficult a part of the design.... The Canon 650D has a fully articulating LCD - quote Canon "...Vari-angle 3-inch 3:2 aspect TFT colour LCD with approx. 1.04 million dots..." unquote. So they not only do it, but with a rather higher resolution LCD than K30's.

But I'd happily settle just for tilt - it increases usability quite a lot. And of course, these days, at least tilt, if not full articulation, is going to be expected by Users stepping up to entry-level DSLRs from P&S Bridge camera level.

I didn't buy the K30 for its Video - it was as an improved K200D, with LiveView, Pentaprism, and 2 x e-dials, for using older manual lenses - or I'd compare its video, too, with the 650D - and weep....! But the Bridge Camera Users stepping up to DSLR and expecting the K30 video to at least be as good as on their recent Bridge Cameras, will be in for a surprise....

Yes, it's a fair comparison - in Sydney, the body-only K30 is $779.00, the body-only 650D is $760.00.

Regards, Dave.

Last edited by exwintech; 10-06-2012 at 02:07 PM.
10-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by exwintech Quote
Fogel70 - Sorry, I thought folk here would already know, or would have noted it in the previous post.... That is - not "compared LCD screens with the HS10 P&S with EVF..... " That was actually more about there being space on a K30 size body for "more buttons" along with a 3" LCD.

Indeed, the correct comparison for LCD on a DSLR - is with another DSLR.... Other makers apparently don't find it too difficult a part of the design.... The Canon 650D has a fully articulating LCD - quote Canon "...Vari-angle 3-inch 3:2 aspect TFT colour LCD with approx. 1.04 million dots..." unquote. So they not only do it, but with a rather higher resolution LCD than K30's.
The OVF size on DSLR with articulated LCDs are the smallest in its class, Canon 650D and Nikon D5100 have small 0.87x 95% pentamirror viewfinders to be compared with K30 0.95x 100%.pentaprism viewfinder. You need to get Canon 7D or Nikon D7000 to get as good OVF as in K30.
10-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
Maybe the tilt/swivel screen could be used as an enticement for the lower spec models, (arguably) the K30.
I could imagine that the K-3 will offer a tilt/swivel screen in order to entice some current K-5 owners that weren't compelled by the K-5 II to upgrade.

I'm sure the K-3 will not be an FF model (yet), so it will need some extras over the K-5 II.

10-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
How about a tilting lcd on the K-01..? (Perhaps that offended the Newsom design team).

I would get a K-01 in a heartbeat as my `snapshot' backup if its lcd tilted.
You can already do this on a NEX! I've been farting around with an NEX3 this week - shooting from chest height, TLR style, works well for me. But with some shots I find I instinctively want an eye-level finder. A K31 that let you do both would be a godsend, but on the other hand NEXs are so small and affordable, you can justify shooting both.
10-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #40

Fogel70 - I'll settle for tilt-only - as on the HS10. It does make such a huge difference to the way the camera is "used and usable".

And while they're re-creating "latter-day K200Ds" - would they kindly put Preview back on the On/Off switch....?

Regards, Dave.
10-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #41
Veteran Member

i could care less about a tilting screen. i've used live view maybe 2 or 3 times for over head shots and once for my mom to take a photo of me. Which was suprising, i actually got a pentax because of her old K1000 and since then she has only used desposables, but now all of a sudden looking through the view finder instead of a screen is some big shock. In the spirit of politics, this is all iphones fault
10-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by no694terry Quote
i could care less about a tilting screen. I've used live view maybe 2 or 3 times for over head shots and once for my mom to take a photo of me. Which was surprising, i actually got a pentax because of her old K1000 and since then she has only used desposables, but now all of a sudden looking through the view finder instead of a screen is some big shock. In the spirit of politics, this is all iphones fault
I use the viewfinder for 99% of my shots. I actually despise the idea of holding the camera in front of me while shooting. But for me, not being able to kneel/squat/lay on the ground anymore, I need an articulating or tilting screen so I can get a different viewpoint for my images. Taking all your images at normal eye level is just boring. In order to get some decent composition, I need to get the camera lower to the ground in a lot of instances, and the only way for me to accomplish that would be with an articulated screen.

And the comment about the iphone - I don't know how that pertains as I don't even own such a device.
10-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #43
Veteran Member

My k20 has a video out setting which im not sure of. I ordered a usb to av cable perhaps in live view you can send the image to a monitor. But I wont know til tuesday.
10-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I'm looking at the monitor that rawr posted links to above right now - so far the Lillyput monitor looks like it may work well for me - just working on justifying the $240 for the kit right now......