Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Also No Swivelling Screen for Pentaxians

The reason is:

-Dimitri Kroupski:Why don't you use tilting and rotating screens for DSLRs?
-Shigeru Wakashiro:If you use the viewfinder, the user's nose hits the LCD monitor. We are thinking these are disadvantages of using swivelling LCDs.
selfbomb
I loved this excuse. I am not into optics but obviously making viewfinder 2-3mm longer must be almost impossible for Pentax. Well no pun is needed here.

Last edited by cbaytan; 10-02-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: add info
10-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
The reason is:

-Dimitri Kroupski:Why don't you use tilting and rotating screens for DSLRs?
-Shigeru Wakashiro:If you use the viewfinder, the user's nose hits the LCD monitor. We are thinking these are disadvantages of using swivelling LCDs.
:selfbomb:
I loved this excuse. I am not into optics but obviously making viewfinder 2-3mm longer must be almost impossible for Pentax. Well no pun is needed here.
Your avatar image is perfect for this.
10-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd imagine that at some level a tilt screen compromises weather resistance. Certainly it does durability. The only thing I'd really want a tilt screen for is framing low angle shots, but a waist level finder would be even better Maybe interchangeable like the LX
10-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the issue here is trying to be all things to all people.

a tilt and swivel screen does have some limited uses, but the whole issue of using the camera as a P&S boggles the mind, if you want a fancy P&S get one. I can count the number of times I have used live view on my K7 and K5 on one hand, so lack of a tilt screen does not bother me. for copy work or camera low to the ground, I have a pentax right angle finder from my KX film body modified to fit the DSLRs

10-02-2012, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

For me a tilt/swivel screen is a must.... and all who want them do NOT want to treat their dSLRs as if they are point and shoots. If you are always on a tripod, and if you are more than a little old, you soon find that using an optical viewfinder is really difficult for many low angle shots. And a right-angle finder is not spine friendly, either. Those tilt/swivel screens do not necessarily compromise weather resistance: Olympus makes a top of the line weather sealed dSLR with a tilt/swivel screen. And they do not decrease durability: my wife's camera is a Canon S5IS which is now four years old, and the camera is as tough as ever. And my G1X takes a pounding.

My K20D is getting long in tooth, and is restricted to studio use these days. Its replacement this year is a dSLR with a tilt/swivel screen. If Pentax doesn't have one when I am ready to buy, then I will switch with no hesitation. There is always someone who will buy my Pentax lenses.
10-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
For me a tilt/swivel screen is a must.... and all who want them do NOT want to treat their dSLRs as if they are point and shoots. If you are always on a tripod, and if you are more than a little old, you soon find that using an optical viewfinder is really difficult for many low angle shots. And a right-angle finder is not spine friendly, either. Those tilt/swivel screens do not necessarily compromise weather resistance: Olympus makes a top of the line weather sealed dSLR with a tilt/swivel screen. And they do not decrease durability: my wife's camera is a Canon S5IS which is now four years old, and the camera is as tough as ever. And my G1X takes a pounding.

My K20D is getting long in tooth, and is restricted to studio use these days. Its replacement this year is a dSLR with a tilt/swivel screen. If Pentax doesn't have one when I am ready to buy, then I will switch with no hesitation. There is always someone who will buy my Pentax lenses.
I want one, too. They are extremely handy. Not all shots have to/should be at eye-level. :-)
10-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Have you ever used Sony or Nikon DSLR with tilting LCD? Those cameras often has an OVF that is difficult to use, and the OVD is usually smaller because the LCD takes more space.

IMO tilting LCD is better used on mirrorless cameras, as there is much bigger freedom on putting a EVF on a optimized place than OVF on DSLR.

10-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Have you ever used Sony or Nikon DSLR with tilting LCD?
No, never cared much about any form of moving LCD either, I just found Pentax Reps. excuse a bit absurd that all.
10-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Except they already solved this "issue". The X-5 bridge camera with its tilt screen - the side view images of it clearly shows the EVF sticks out of the body a fair b it compared to other Pentax cameras.
10-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #10

Unlike other features that some people really want though a tilting screen does have disadvantages, obviously it isn't as tough and it's possible it won't be as weather sealed, so for me I would find a tilting screen a downgrade as the advantages are way outweighed.

Video is something I don't want on my dSLR either, but that doesn't disadvantage me as far as I can tell so I'm less bothered about that.
10-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Maybe the tilt/swivel screen could be used as an enticement for the lower spec models, (arguably) the K30.
The upper spec models would still have a big, clear fixed screen, and a full frame sensor, no video, de-crippled mount, etc, etc.

Regards
10-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I sorely miss a tilt and swivel screen. In fact it is just about the only reason for which I almost did not go for Pentax. It may not be something that everybody (or dare I say the average photographer) needs but there are various situations when it is really the only practical way to shoot a photo.

When one says that it is not useful one must be assuming that all photos can be shot with the camera at eye level. I've been carrying around with me my old Fuji S9500 precisely for that sort of shots because a photo shot with a bridge camera is better than a photo not shot with an SLR. Of course one option is to shoot a whole lot of photos randomly and hope that at least one of them is properly framed and focused.

I have recently rigged up a little 3 inch LCD TV which I connect to the video out port and put the camera in live view so I can see what I am shooting in such situations. It is actually more versatile than a tilting screen and opens up yet more possibilities but on the negative side it is much more cumbersome and often not that practical.
10-04-2012, 05:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm glad this subject has been brought up.

I need a tilt/swivel screen and weighing my options right now. The main part holding me back is trying to replace my current Pentax lenses with another brand - I don't know until I run some numbers if it is feasible or not.

I like everything about my K-5 - build quality (feel in your hand), shutter sound, external controls, sensibly laid out menu, and of course the IQ and low light/high iso perform ace.

What are the options now for a DSLR body that would equal the K-5 in the above respects that has a tilt/swivel screen? Also, this new DSLR would need to have a super sharp native 300mm prime lens.
10-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Except they already solved this "issue". The X-5 bridge camera with its tilt screen - the side view images of it clearly shows the EVF sticks out of the body a fair b it compared to other Pentax cameras.
Just my thought.

I don't believe there is a reason for it not to be included on the next K-r/K-z/K-300/K-younameit
10-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
But the X-5 has a EVF. How difficult is it to extend the OVF while maintaining correct magnification and so on, does anyone know?