Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

HSM vs inbody autofocus

a big selling point when i picked up my K100D was "in body autofocus and SR"

this translates (theoreticaly) into cheaper lenses, because both shake reduction and additional autofocusing motors are not needed, and along with less cost less size too, great, right?

while i'm 3 times over grateful for in body image stabilization, with the influx of many HSM lenses from home field and companies like Sigma, there seems little to do for the in body autofocus mechanism (unless ofcourse you want to autofocus those middleaged lenses that can autofocus but not at HSM level yet)

seems kind of a moot point building stuff into the body if the future is in "in-lens" motorization.

luckily i'm a wide angle/prime guy so i focus manually anyway, but still this recent shift in development has caused me to raise a few eyebrows at pentax.

why doesnt pentax develop some sort of silly-super-awesome in body auto focus, or drop it all together and make the bodies cheaper?

02-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
a big selling point when i picked up my K100D was "in body autofocus and SR"

this translates (theoreticaly) into cheaper lenses, because both shake reduction and additional autofocusing motors are not needed, and along with less cost less size too, great, right?

while i'm 3 times over grateful for in body image stabilization, with the influx of many HSM lenses from home field and companies like Sigma, there seems little to do for the in body autofocus mechanism (unless ofcourse you want to autofocus those middleaged lenses that can autofocus but not at HSM level yet)

seems kind of a moot point building stuff into the body if the future is in "in-lens" motorization.

luckily i'm a wide angle/prime guy so i focus manually anyway, but still this recent shift in development has caused me to raise a few eyebrows at pentax.

why doesnt pentax develop some sort of silly-super-awesome in body auto focus, or drop it all together and make the bodies cheaper?
in body focus motors is the original source of auto focus. pentax is around a decade late to the party. one of the many joys of using the pentax system is every lens works. the in body motors are needed for the older f/fa/da lenses.

the only company to remove it so far has been nikon with their lowest end models, the d40/d40x. no one buys that body thinking it's a good thing.
02-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by attack11 Quote
one of the many joys of using the pentax system is every lens works.
i have 3 lenses on my desk right now for which autofocus will not work...
02-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

and what are those? if they're kaf mounts and not focusing the lenses are damaged.

02-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
a Zenitar 16mm "M" fisheye

a Chinon "M" 50mm f1.9

and a Tokina "A" 80-200 F4.5
02-04-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

a Zenitar 16mm "M" fisheye

a Chinon "M" 50mm f1.9

and a Tokina "A" 80-200 F4.5
those are all manual focus lenses..
02-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
those are all manual focus lenses..
one of the many joys of using the pentax system is every lens works.
dude, please read your own words.

the point i'm making is that there are many very good lenses that are manual focus, and there are many good lenses that are in-body-non-hsm-focus, but what i'm disappointed with, is pentax seemingly abandoning that development path and going towards in lens focus.
02-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

dude, please read your own words.

the point i'm making is that there are many very good lenses that are manual focus, and there are many good lenses that are in-body-non-hsm-focus, but what i'm disappointed with, is pentax seemingly abandoning that development path and going towards in lens focus.
every lens does work. do you actually think an m42 mount lens like the chinon will magically have the internal gears for focusing from the body motor, when it lacks electrical contacts?

i can't grasp the stupidity of what you wrote.

in lens sonic motors offer silent focusing, and faster focusing. it is the future. they're simply late to the party.

02-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
every lens does work. do you actually think an m42 mount lens like the chinon will magically have the internal gears for focusing from the body motor, when it lacks electrical contacts?

i can't grasp the stupidity of what you wrote.

i'm not talking about lenses "working", i'm talking about autofocus technologies, the past and the future.
02-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

i'm not talking about lenses "working", i'm talking about autofocus technologies, the past and the future.
they're manual focus! they work on the body don't they?
02-04-2008, 01:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

the only company to remove it so far has been nikon with their lowest end models, the d40/d40x. no one buys that body thinking it's a good thing.
I guess that's true if you overlook a little company named Canon. To my knowledge they've never had a focus motor in the body.
02-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I guess that's true if you overlook a little company named Canon. To my knowledge they've never had a focus motor in the body.
how would you remove what was never there?
02-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
they're manual focus! they work on the body don't they?
you're pretty dense
02-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

you're pretty dense
i didn't start this thread dude, you did. you also said 3 lenses don't work when they lack af contacts. who's dense?

02-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i didn't start this thread dude, you did. you also said 3 lenses don't work when they lack af contacts. who's dense?
okay let me do this in point form style so that you get it.

- i start talking about autofocus technologies

- you point out that every lens works (in relation to autofocus, because, remember, this is the key part here, are you with me, autofocus, not whether a lens will physicaly work or not, but autofocus)

- autofocus

- autofocus

- autofocus

- did i lose you yet? no? still with me, okay lets continue

- i point out that there are many high quality lenses that dont have autofocus, i myself have 3 of such lenses (even though 2 of them are garbage, but thats not the point)

- i dont know, maybe you dont use any old lenses, maybe you're just reading me the party line, i'm certain there are many pentax owners that only have DA lenses and know nothing about the old stuff, maybe you're just one of them.

- then you call me stupid because you formulated your argument wrong, good job kid!

- all the while you didnt provide any opinions on why pentax decided to abandon in-body autofocus development and jump ship to HSM.

- the only thing worthy out of you was a statement, not even an opinion, that "pentax is late to the game"

so, you

1. provided nothing usefull
2. insulted me
3. probably provided enough reason to have this thread locked

GG
Closed Thread