Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2007, 10:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

one for clarenceclose..

an old sigma 200mm F3.5 macro prime manual lens.. ebay special.. 35..

just an example of when auto foucus will not work under any circumstances.. another one of my lens test pics..

the problem being of course is that manual focus with such a lens misses more often than it hits.. its not easy to get spot on..

handheld full frame jpeg sr on..

trog

ps.. the lamp post was my intension

01-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote

ps.. the lamp post was my intension
Thank you. I recognize the tangle of vegetation can easily deceive not only the camera AF but the eye in MF. I purposely selected center focus only to I could 'hit the bird' with a good shot. Less of a tangle in the tree than in the lilac bushes. Still the bird is too small for an accurate AF as the actual point of AF may not be where the center of the dot dictates due to manufacturing irregularities so I may have gotten the branch next to the bird. Also I am dealing with older eyes so my ability to sharply MF at that distance is much less than perfect. Have a lot to work on before I get a finely detailed capture of one of the sparrows. When I get something worthy I will post with pride.

01-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the viewfinders on our cameras were not designed for real manual focus.. every old manual lens i have tested i have had to take several pics to make sure it had one spot on for focus..

my eyes are pretty old but my sons younger ones dont do much better.. provided u give it half a chance and aint useing silly fast (super shallow dof) glass for the sake of it the camera does a far better job than we do..

spot is more accurate but the multipoint thing is faster for an overall scene.. it always gets its man but not always the right one.. he he

pic a nice day for your worthy shots.. best of luck..

trog