Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #16
Forum Member

Did you put the firmware program in the root folder of your card?

10-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by pesterle Quote
Did you put the firmware program in the root folder of your card?
I connected the card to the computer and then formatted the card leaving nothing on the card.
Then I put the file onto the card.
I thought that it could not be in a folder but in the first screen that comes up when you click on it.
10-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kc7pwx Quote
I thought that it could not be in a folder but in the first screen that comes up when you click on it.
Correct. The top level of a drive or media is called the root folder.
10-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #19

I was doing this on a work computer as I do not have card reader at home.
I have ordered a camera data cable and a card reader so when they arrive I will try again from my home computer and hope for a different result.

06-01-2015, 10:15 PM   #20

I am trying to update the firmware on a DL2, but without success thus far. I'm using a formatted 2 GB SD card, inserted into memory card slot for my laptop. I am downloading the file (version 1.03), then I'm doing a copy and paste to copy the resulting BIN file into the SD card (not in a folder). When I now take the SD card and put it back in the camera and turn on the camera while pressing the menu button, I just see the message showing me the current firmware version and then that's it. The new firmware never starts loading. So, any advice would be helpful, as I'm pretty much stumped after messing around with it for the past two hours. One thing I'm specifically confused about is the "self extraction" that's supposed to occur with the downloaded file. I initially get the exe file, then when I open that, I get the readme file and the BIN file. Is that the extraction? Or is the BIN file itself supposed to extract into multiple files? Also, I've got Windows 7 on my laptop and am wondering if that's not compatible with the new firmware. I have tried opening the exe file and the BIN file using the "compatability" mode, but that doesn't seem to have an effect. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
06-01-2015, 10:26 PM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lpa0304 Quote
I am trying to update the firmware on a DL2, but without success thus far. I'm using a formatted 2 GB SD card, inserted into memory card slot for my laptop. I am downloading the file (version 1.03), then I'm doing a copy and paste to copy the resulting BIN file into the SD card (not in a folder). When I now take the SD card and put it back in the camera and turn on the camera while pressing the menu button, I just see the message showing me the current firmware version and then that's it. The new firmware never starts loading. So, any advice would be helpful, as I'm pretty much stumped after messing around with it for the past two hours. One thing I'm specifically confused about is the "self extraction" that's supposed to occur with the downloaded file. I initially get the exe file, then when I open that, I get the readme file and the BIN file. Is that the extraction? Or is the BIN file itself supposed to extract into multiple files? Also, I've got Windows 7 on my laptop and am wondering if that's not compatible with the new firmware. I have tried opening the exe file and the BIN file using the "compatability" mode, but that doesn't seem to have an effect. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Try downloading and extracting the zip version, which is sometimes referred to as the the mac version.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-01-2015, 11:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I am trying to update the firmware on a DL2, but without success thus far. I'm using a formatted 2 GB SD card, inserted into memory card slot for my laptop. I am downloading the file (version 1.03)
Looks like you're downloading the wrong software; the latest version (that I can find) for the DL2 is V1.02 (see Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING)
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Try downloading and extracting the zip version, which is sometimes referred to as the the mac version.
It's not a ZIP but a hqx; I tried to extract it with 7-zip and it does not work.

06-03-2015, 04:41 AM   #23

Thanks -- after posting originally, I did realize my error about using the wrong version of the software. I tried the same process with the version 1.02 and continue to have no luck with updating the firmware.
06-03-2015, 05:42 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I've downloaded http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/firmware/dl2e102w.EXE

Ran file and got 2 files, readme.txt and FWDC150B.BIN; it throws an error while extracting about incorrect installation, but I have the feeling that it can be ignored (I think it's related to the fact that I run a 64bit version of Win7.

Has your extracted file the same name?

The text file starts with

QuoteQuote:
===========================================================================
PENTAX istDL2 Firmware Updating to Version 1.02
===========================================================================

* Firmware is the software that runs inside digital cameras.

Updatable models
istDL2 digital SLR cameras running Firmware Ver. 1.00/1.01

How to check version
Turn the power on while pressing the MENU button.
The Firmware version is displayed for about 5 seconds at the center
of the LCD monitor.
Perform the above operation without inserting the CF card containing
Firmware in the camera.
If you did everything correctly, the only reason why you don't get an upgrade is because you already have V1.02 installed; please check.

// Edit
Ah, and the memory card needs to be of a size and type that is supported by the currently installed firmware.

Last edited by sterretje; 06-03-2015 at 05:48 AM.
06-04-2015, 05:41 AM   #25

Yes, those are the two files I get. And then I do a copy and paste to move the FWDC150B file into the root folder for the SD memory card. Then when I put the SD memory card into the computer and turn the computer on while holding the menu button I never get the message that is supposed to come up to say the new firmware is loading. I did check and the camera currently has the initial firmware, version 1. 0.
06-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I'm at a loss; looks like you did all steps right. Just to confirm, the camera can use that card to store photos?
02-02-2016, 02:20 PM   #27

Yes, those are the two files I get. And then I do a copy and paste to move the FWDC150B file into the root folder for the SD memory card. Then when I put the SD memory card into the computer and turn the computer on while holding the menu button I never get the message that is supposed to come up to say the new firmware is loading. I did check and the camera currently has the initial firmware, version 1. 0.
Hi did you ever get the new download to work I'm having the same trouble
09-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Fuddy101 Quote
Hi did you ever get the new download to work I'm having the same trouble
I just updated the firmware of a istDL2. I think there's a bit of confusion over what you should be doing.

Download from the Ricoh site the appropriate firmware.

Place the compressed file on an SD card. It must be an SD card (not SDHC or SDXC) and it should be small, less than 2Gb. The SD card must be newly formatted and empty.

Extract the compressed file to the SD card so that you now have 3 files. The original compressed file, a text file and a .BIN file.

Put the card in the camera. The camera should be off.

Hold the menu button down while turning the camera on.

You should get a message confirming current and proposed firmware levels. The option to upgrade should also be available if appropriate.

You might have got this sorted by now but I hope the above helps if you're still stuck.
09-21-2016, 09:46 AM   #29

After looking in to this again I realized why I could not get it to work.
I have a pentax "ist ds" not the "ist dl". So I was trying to use the wrong software. I have found the right firmware now.
And I have a 2gb micro sd card and the current firmware, 1.00, will not recognize anything bigger than 1gb untill after I upgrade the firmware.
Can the firmware be upgraded using a usb cable or do I have to find a 8mb - 1gb card?
If I have use a card does anyone know a source for such a small sd or micro sd card?
09-21-2016, 11:39 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Kc7pwx Quote
After looking in to this again I realized why I could not get it to work.
I have a pentax "ist ds" not the "ist dl". So I was trying to use the wrong software. I have found the right firmware now.
And I have a 2gb micro sd card and the current firmware, 1.00, will not recognize anything bigger than 1gb untill after I upgrade the firmware.
Can the firmware be upgraded using a usb cable or do I have to find a 8mb - 1gb card?
If I have use a card does anyone know a source for such a small sd or micro sd card?
I managed to find a 32Mb, yes that is correct 32Mb SD card which is absolutely no use to me anymore. If you're sure that 32Mb is big enough then I could post it on to you. I don't need your home address, a work address would be preferable. The card is far too small to be useful to me so it would be good to get the last good use out of it. Let me know if you'd like it, we can go PM for address.