Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #1

Pentax *ist DL SDHC Memory Card

I have recently bought a 16GB SDHC Memory Card for my camera to replace a 2GB Card. On installing the card I get a "Memory Card Error" message. I have tried to format the card on the camera, with the write protect off. It makes no difference as the same message appears. Does this mean I have a defective card or is there a limit to the GB which this camera can take? I need a larger card primarily to upgrade my firmware, which requires an 8GB Card.

Thanks

10-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by morrig47 Quote
I need a larger card primarily to upgrade my firmware, which requires an 8GB Card.
You have that backwards, a firmware is required to be able to use an 8gb card, you can use any size card that the firmware will fit on to actually do the update.
10-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have recently bought a 16GB SDHC Memory Card for my camera to replace a 2GB Card. On installing the card I get a "Memory Card Error" message. I have tried to format the card on the camera, with the write protect off. It makes no difference as the same message appears. Does this mean I have a defective card or is there a limit to the GB which this camera can take? I need a larger card primarily to upgrade my firmware, which requires an 8GB Card.

Thanks
I don't think that model of camera is compatible with high capacity SD cards, nor is there a firmware update to accomodate that kind of card. If I'm not mistaken, firmware fixes to use SDHC cards only go as far back as the K10D.
10-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I don't think that model of camera is compatible with high capacity SD cards, nor is there a firmware update to accomodate that kind of card. If I'm not mistaken, firmware fixes to use SDHC cards only go as far back as the K10D.
You're mistaken. The DS and DL have firmware updates for SDHC cards. From this page:

Downloads & Literature - PENTAX Imaging USA

they say this about firmware:

PENTAX *istDL FIRMWARE UPDATE VERSION 1.03

VERSION HISTORY

Version 1.03 :
•Improved support for SDHC memory cards.

The update should be done from a 2Gb or smaller card which already works with the camera, following the instructions on the Pentax site. Then the camera can use the larger cards. The SDXC cards are incompatible.

10-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #5

Original Poster
Many thanks for the replies - can't believe how quickly they came. Much appreciated!

Firstly I must apologise for being an idiot, as I read the need for 8MB as 8GB! I can't believe I did not read the instruactions with care. I still needed the 8GB for the camera to shoot more photographs, but really...!!

The firmware update was no problem and I can confirm the 8GB works fine.

Again my thanks (and humble apologies!)

Gareth
10-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Firstly I must apologise for being an idiot, as I read the need for 8MB as 8GB!
That is understandable actually, when was the last time you saw an 8MB SD card? Smallest I've ever had was 128MB.
10-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
That is understandable actually, when was the last time you saw an 8MB SD card? Smallest I've ever had was 128MB.
We've come a long way. My first digital camera was a sony mavica cd-200 - the wave of the future I said, 156mb on cheaply affordable mini-cds! I also thought minidiscs would make it...I'm a sucker for odd tech, haha.

10-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
We've come a long way. My first digital camera was a sony mavica cd-200 - the wave of the future I said, 156mb on cheaply affordable mini-cds! I also thought minidiscs would make it...I'm a sucker for odd tech, haha.
I've still got a 1mb Smart Media card from my Sanyo 1.3mp camera, which was my first digital. I remember when I got an 16mb card, never thought I'd be able to fill it.
10-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
You're mistaken. The DS and DL have firmware updates for SDHC cards. From this page:

Downloads & Literature - PENTAX Imaging USA

they say this about firmware:

PENTAX *istDL FIRMWARE UPDATE VERSION 1.03

VERSION HISTORY

Version 1.03 :
•Improved support for SDHC memory cards.

The update should be done from a 2Gb or smaller card which already works with the camera, following the instructions on the Pentax site. Then the camera can use the larger cards. The SDXC cards are incompatible.
For the original poster's sake I'm happy to be proven wrong.
10-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #10

Original Poster
Glad I started such a lively discussion! Equally glad my 16GB works. By the way I transferred all my old audiocassettes to minidisc so I for one am still using that technology quite happily!!

Gareth
10-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wondered how large a card I could use after the update. I updated 1.02 when it was released. I see they have released 1.03 now looks as tho it is time to update again.
10-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #12

Original Poster
I tried a 32GB card this morning and it did not come up as a "Memory Card Error" so I assume it is ok. Interestingly the read-out indicating the number of shots available remains at 999, whether I insert a 16GB or 32GB card. I wonder if the counter has 3 digits only.
10-05-2012, 02:56 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I tried a 32GB card this morning and it did not come up as a "Memory Card Error" so I assume it is ok. Interestingly the read-out indicating the number of shots available remains at 999, whether I insert a 16GB or 32GB card. I wonder if the counter has 3 digits only.
Yeah, my K100D does the same thing, it will start counting properly when you fill the card enough, which with a 6mp body will take forever.
06-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #14

Just as a update to this posting... I did the firmware 1.03 update... worked great for my *ist DL... which is wonderful since I have about 12 8gig cards!!!
10-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #15

I recently purchased a Pentax ist-dl and tried to update the firmware and was unsuccessful.
I downloaded the file, expanded it to my desktop, and put it on a formatted 2gb card.
I put the card in the camera and turned it on while holding down the menu button.
The camera display shows the current version "ver:1.00" and then goes to the regular screen.
Any ideas where I may have gone wrong?