Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Debating a K-30 purchase over the K-5II/s...

My reasonings are that I managed to somehow kill my K-x last Spring (dead shutter, I suspect something made its way inside and go into the inner workings).

As such, I've been given the blessing of getting a new camera and some possible gear (lenses, lighting) come tax season, and I've been mulling over the K-30. Then the K-5II was announced, and I'm finding myself torn.

While the K-5II immediately jumps to mind, I'm thinking the K-30 could actually be my better choice for a couple reasons - I could get away with just getting the body, then drop some money on some new lenses (I'm thinking of going Samyang happy and getting the 14, 35, and 85's). While I'd love to get a decent AF lens, the truth is the bulk of my gear are cheap old manual stuff. The K-30 has the focus peaking, so it would lend itself well to working with those. I also tend to do a lot less 'on the fly' shooting as well, so autofocus is less of a need for me.

The plus would also be I could possibly get a K-01 as a backup/companion camera depending on how the finances settle. I half jokingly swung the idea of getting a K-01 by the wife as something for her to keep handy when I'm out and about (I could stick my cheap FA-28-90 or DA L 18-55 on it) and she actually seemed halfway warm to the idea.

Then again, the K-5II seems to be a heck of beast, and would definitely seem to be a larger step forward for me from the K-x.

Then again... again, if Pentax does release a more advanced camera (be it FF or some new cropped camera) in 2013, I'd be sitting there gnashing my teeth for having bought the more expensive (compared to the K-30) K-5II as well.

So my options right now would look to be:

option 1
K-30, O-GPS1, a decent flash, a smattering of lenses, possible K-01 backup (putting me over budget)

option 2 (or would that be II?)
The K-5II, little or no new lenses, O-GPS1, a decent flash, no camera backup (as the K-01/K-30 combo would almost equal the cost of the K-5II on its own)

Which would seem the better choice?

FWIW, I've been picking up the odd manual lens off and on despite lacking a camera to use them on - I'm actually waiting on a strange 200mm prime to arrive at the moment.

10-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
gtl
Veteran Member

I would perhaps wait for the K5IIs reviews to be out first? Its gonna be released in a week so no harm waiting unless you need your camera now.
10-05-2012, 03:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can speak to the K-30, but not the K5. Coming from a K20D, the K-30 is a remarkable leap forward. The autofocus is much faster and more reliable and the high ISO shooting is unreal (coming from the K20D). The focus peaking is really cool. I always had trouble with manual focus, but with the focus peaking I have nailed every shot, albeit I haven't done a lot, my only MF lens right now is a Kiron 28/2. I have also used the focus peaking with AF lens on a tripod to to actually see how much of the field is in focus. One thing I have seen listed as a con to the K-30 is absence of the top LCD, I worried about that, but found that I don't miss it at all. As I said I can't compare both, but the K-30 has made me very happy.

You mentioned new offerings in 2013 that may come along, it's all speculation. Did they name the new camera 5KII because it is an improvement until the next flagship is out, or is this the new naming convention? Who knows?
10-05-2012, 03:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

K-30 would IMO be the better choice for you. K-30 is very close to K-5 in regards of quality. The main differences are in extra buttons and features ok K-5 and it does not sound like you will be needing any of that.

10-05-2012, 03:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In the same boat, except I have my K-x. But I'm more inclined to get the K-5IIs. It will have the best APS-C sensor and has all the bells and whistles. (I already told my wife I'd like to buy it next year...) Now, if there were a cheap camera much lighter than the K-30, a kind of K-x with K-5's sensor, I might go with it. For me, weight is important. The K-30 isn't light enough for me, nor has the capabilities of the K-5IIs, so I think I'll get the latter.

The Samyangs are an excellent choice. I have the 14mm and the 85mm, which give superb results. (The 35mm weighs a ton, so I passed on it.)

Last edited by causey; 10-05-2012 at 04:05 AM.
10-05-2012, 04:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

When you love those old lenses then focus peaking is a very handy tool and it is not on K-5 (II) so get the K/30. The K/01 does work better when there is more light available for the sensor to work on contrast AF and thus working better with faster lenses )wich isnīt the 18/55 kitlens'.
10-05-2012, 04:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

To make things more difficult --another thing to consider is that K-30's DR is not significantly better than that of K-x (and there have been many situations in which I wished my K-x had better DR):
DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

Still, the K-30 is half the price of the K-5II...
But K-30's DR is bothering me...
Still, half the price!

I guess I'm not decided yet

Last edited by causey; 10-05-2012 at 06:21 AM.
10-05-2012, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Or if you could wait until the spring to see what else will be released at which point the K-5 IIs will be cheaper. If you need a temporary solution get one of these and you'll never have to worry about focus
https://www.lytro.com/camera# or https://www.lytro.com/living-pictures/182534 (hint: go to pictures and start clicking on different areas of the picture).

Imagine a DSLR which could do this one day ....

10-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #9

I think the K-30 is a better bang for you buck than the K-5 II/s, and a the K-01 is a great second camera. But I agree that you should wait for the reviews first. 5-10 days of waiting, shouldn't kill you
10-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh, I won't be buying until January or so, so wait I shall do.
10-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
K-30 would IMO be the better choice for you. K-30 is very close to K-5 in regards of quality. The main differences are in extra buttons and features ok K-5 and it does not sound like you will be needing any of that.
There are some other differences as well including the magnesium body, and it has a faster and quieter shutter. The K-5 has a top LCD if that matters. Also, the K-30 is 3x12 bit RAW and the K-5 is 3x14 bit Raw. We don't know about the af on the II and II/s yet but is expected to be better. That said, the K-30 has a pentaprism and WR and has a good price point.
10-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #12
Forum Member

I'm not so sure the magnesium body of the K-5 (& II) would really be better. If the polycarbonate body of the K-30 is anything like my Turvis Tumbler (insulated beverage holder that is indestructible), then it should actually be much more rugged - the mangesium-alloy body could possibly dent. Although, if dropped hard enough, I don't think it would matter anyways because the guts would likely be screwed anyways IMO.

I also chose the K-30 over the K-5 (& II) because I've read that it is lighter.. I have a disability(Fibromyalgia - YES, it can be for some of us ) in which that could matter.

I'm also not sure if the extra 2 bits of sensor data would really matter... But I AM wondering if that would mean more dynamic range and better at high-ISO's (not sure).
10-07-2012, 03:38 AM   #13

In real world work, and i work in a range of situations. Dark, light, on the fly in the middle. I don't see any real world differences in the DR between the K5 and K30. It is a complete non issue unless you are a master retoucher. In which case, it is still a non issue. Bit depth mildly affects colour between the two and i bet no one here can honestly say they notice a useful difference between the two.
Battery life is much shorter on the K30. but i have 5 batteries for it now :-D
10-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sbroadbentphoto Quote
Battery life is much shorter on the K30. but i have 5 batteries for it now :-D
Yeah, I'm betting they used a small capacity Li for market placement reasons. I had always planned on using AA's anyways - I would NEVER buy a camera that couldn't use AA's in some way. The reports from people using AA's seem to indicate that it's basically the same battery life between the K-30 and K-5.

I myself use the rehular 2nd gen Eneloops, but one report of someone using the Eneloop XX(2500 mah) said that after they were broken-in, he got over 1300 shots off of them.
10-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #15

I doubt it is as much the capacity of the battery as i have 2000mah batteries. It is more that it uses the back LCD constantly to view the settings. It is a little bit of a bummer it doesn't have the top lcd.