Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might give Parted Magic a try. It's a bootable linux CD that puts you in a Live operating system that runs entirely in memory. It's mainly a partitioning tool, but there are file tools that might allow you to pull those files off your SD card. I would use an SD card reader to attempt this (not the camera). I've used this program to recover files from corrupted windows partitions. Excellent free software. Since it's a Live CD, it doesn't affect your O/S or make any changes to it. http://partedmagic.com/doku.php

10-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
From Post #6 of Photo Recovery

Here's the description that gave me the hint to use Quick Format on my SD card -
source: Recuva on formatted disks
This is what I believe happened to my SD card - the "hidden index" probably got corrupted - so that my camera gave memory error and could not use it - and my PC would not even recognize the SD card -
so I was "forced" to format the SD card so that my PC could "see" the card.
Obviously once I had read the above - I knew to use only the "Quick Format" -
and was successful in recovering my photos.

BUT the question that needs to be asked - how was LR3 even able to display those thumbnails in its library/gallery as shown in your opening post - IF the card isn't even recognized by your PC?

Just to be clear you are talking about the original card that was used in your camera to take those photos
- or are you talking about some separate backup/copy?

EDIT to ADD -
don't know if this might help
(have used this - but not on memory cards) -

ISObuster
claims to be able to recover files -

so might not require any formatting for recovery?
It's the card that is unreadable by both the camera and laptop and says it needs formatting. But upon using Icare recovery and also Lexmark image rescue, it scans and were able to retrieve the files, when importing the files to LR, the thumbnails will show properly at first, but after import is complete, it's either got the pink lines or blank. So leads me to believe that the files are recoverable, but it's corrupt so I don't know if there's any programs that can fix that...

I tried Recuva but it always stopped working after trying to scan the disk.
10-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by catastrophe Quote
It's the card that is unreadable by both the camera and laptop and says it needs formatting. But upon using Icare recovery and also Lexmark image rescue, it scans and were able to retrieve the files, when importing the files to LR, the thumbnails will show properly at first, but after import is complete, it's either got the pink lines or blank. So leads me to believe that the files are recoverable, but it's corrupt so I don't know if there's any programs that can fix that....
For clarity -
your card is not "readable" by either your camera or pc - both say it needs formatting.

You managed to scan and get files using iCare, and Lexmark (really? or Lexar?) Image Rescue -
but the resultant image files look corrupt to LR3.

BUT you also say:
QuoteOriginally posted by catastrophe Quote
I tried Recuva but it always stopped working after trying to scan the disk.
I did not realize that Recuva can scan a card that requires formatting -
so are you actually talking about trying to use Recuva on the files you "recovered" with either iCare or Lexar Image Rescue?

If so, I can understand why Recuva failed - as it is working on failed "recovered" files.

Did you use Lexar Image Rescue on the original card, or the resultant files from iCare?
======

At this point things do not look that bright -

However try to see if any recovery is possible using IsoBuster on the original memory card,
and not any files/folders that any other software may (or may not have) recovered.

Trying any form of recovery on failed "recovered" files is pretty hopeless
as those failed "recovered" files have lost all other information that might help put the files back together properly,

That's why it's necessary to work from the original memory card.

See Edit to Add below about PhotoRec -
it may be able to recover from a card that Windows cannot read.

If IsoBuster and PhotoRec fail to recover files from your card -

Then do a QUICK format of your card using your PC (either via direct media slot or USB reader, and not the camera)
(do NOT use any form of FULL or LOW Level format) -
that way your card is then readable by your PC -

Then you can try all manner of recovery software on that original memory card.
(do NOT write anything to that card until you have either recovered the files, or given up)

Try Recuva (Deep Scan option) again on the card
PhotoRec is also highly recommended here.

Good luck.

===============
EDIT to ADD - just found this:

The best free data recovery tool: 14 undelete tools compared

according to that article under
the ability to read drives unreadable by Windows
The result: only PhotoRec was able to access and restore data from the drive.

So try using PhotoRec first and see if you can recover the files without having to do a format?

2nd EDIT to ADD:
evidence on how well PhotoRec seems to work:
from external links in Wikipedia entry on PhotoRec:
QuoteQuote:
Kaspersky Lab, Recovering files encrypted by Virus.Win32.Gpcode.ak using PhotoRec After encrypting files, the virus deletes the original files but PhotoRec can recover them.
More comparisons -

Best Data Recovery Tools @ TechRadar.com

Last edited by UnknownVT; 10-07-2012 at 12:54 PM.
10-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #19
Forum Member

There's also this formatting utility by the SD Association that you might want to try, or at least put in your toolkit:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

10-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #20
Site Supporter

K20D & SD card capacity

I've also had the pleasure of this happening with 2 16GB cards and a day and a half of shooting in South Africa with a K20D. I was quite motivated to get the files recovered. More specifically I was using a SanDisk 16GB Ultra card and recording all images as raw+ (DNG + JPG). I believe the main problem is that the K20D was designed to support a max SD card capacity of 8GB. I thought I had read this soon after I got the K20D in late 2008, although that spec is not in the Pentax manual. I've always used 4 or 8GB cards and have never had a problem whether I was recording jpg only, raw only, or raw+. For the full day of shooting with the 16GB I was able to review images on the camera lcd so didn't suspect any problems. But when I went to download the files by plugging the SD card into my laptop, the folder appeared but no files. I locked the card until I could recover the files. I eventually used Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery Software (Photo Recovery Software Recover deleted lost digital photos from memory cards, digital cameras) to recover the jpg's. Note that the recovered jpg file is given a filename of the beginning sector the file is found in (I think) and if you want your file names to be compatible with those coming out of the camera then you have to rename them. As noted above for other software, the Stellar software didn't recognize and recover Pentax DNG files. I haven't pursued the software further or contacted the manufacturer to see if it is possible to recover the DNG files using their software. I just ran across Card Recovery software (Memory Card Recovery Software to Recover Lost Photos - CardRecovery), as noted above, and I notice the site indicates that the software supports recovery for Leica DNG, Samsung DNG, and Pentax PEF, among many others, but I don't see any mention of Pentax DNG. I'll investigate this further and report what I get back. Regardless, I won't be using any SD card with a capacity greater than 8GB in my K20D's.
10-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #21

I havent read the entire thread as i'm in a hurry, but i have an idea that might help you
You mentioned that the previews where ok but the actual PEFs where corrupted...
Every PEF or DNG file is in fact a package, and it contains the actual sensor data, exif info in text, and some jpegs, one of the jpegs is the preview which is usually small res low quality, but it also has a high res high quality in there
I use a programm called juicer, and it can unpack such files... it is for mac... give it a try, you may recover some of the corrupted images... you probably wont recover the raw file, but a jpeg is better than nothing
11-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by obscura Quote
I havent read the entire thread as i'm in a hurry, but i have an idea that might help you
You mentioned that the previews where ok but the actual PEFs where corrupted...
Every PEF or DNG file is in fact a package, and it contains the actual sensor data, exif info in text, and some jpegs, one of the jpegs is the preview which is usually small res low quality, but it also has a high res high quality in there
I use a programm called juicer, and it can unpack such files... it is for mac... give it a try, you may recover some of the corrupted images... you probably wont recover the raw file, but a jpeg is better than nothing
Yes that will be great, I did managed to reover some Jpeg from the raw files, but only like 10%, not sure why it can't for the rest...

Would love to try the juicer program but I only use windows...any similar program for windows?
11-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Here's what I've found using several different photo recovery software with the caveat that my tests are far from rigorous and comprehensive. Again, my original problem is that I used a SanDisk 16 GB Ultra class 10 SDHC card in a K20D. I formatted the card in the camera. After shooting several hundred frames using RAW+ and saving images in both JPG and DNG, when I tried to download the images from that day's folder, no images were visible but the used space on the card was in the order of 14 GB. Incidentally, I was using firmware 1.03 and installing firmware 1.04 might solve the source of the problem but I'll have to test that later. To cut to the chase, the software PhotoRec recovered both the jpg AND dng files, and this software is free. I might send the programmer $10 because it did exactly what I needed it to without a required payment to use it, although other software will also recover Pentax DNG files. The method I used to have the different software access the SDHC card was to install the software on a desktop computer running Windows 7 Ultimate and insert the card into the SD/MMC card slot on the computer. Before this I moved the lock switch on the card to the Lock position so nothing could write to the card.

PhotoRec version 6.14 (PhotoRec - CGSecurity) - downloads and installs fairly easily. It isn't a fancy program in that it runs in a DOS interface and you run the executable directly from the folder it was unzipped to. However, it was free, it worked, and it was here and now. All of my JPG and DNG files were recovered and the file sizes for the DNGs in particular came out right - about 25 MB in size.

CardRecoveryPro version 2.1.5.0 (Memory Card Recover Software - CardRecoveryPro?) - this is a free download and you can use the free (or demo) version to view the files on the card. In the window that appears after starting the software, you're allowed to choose the camera brand and categories of media to recover, such as Photos, Movie/Video, Sound/Audio. However, you do have to buy a license if you want to actually recover the files; that is, copy the files from the card to a folder on the hard drive. I didn't buy a license for this software. However, in the card scan, both the JPG and DNG appeared and the DNGs were about the right file size. I think that if I had to recover photo files on a semi-routine basis, I'd buy a license for this software.

PhotoRecoveryPro version 2.1.5.0 (Photo Recover Software - PhotoRecoveryPro?) - this software is produced by the same manufacturer as CardRecoveryPro and operated the same. I didn't take the time to try to discover the exact distinction but it did see both the JPG and DNG files on the card. Personally I'd buy a license for CardRecoveryPro unless I found some compelling reason to buy a license for this one.

RescuePro version 4.0.0.1 (SanDisk RescuePROŽ and RescuePROŽ Deluxe | LC Technology International, Inc.) - there is a Deluxe version of this but I only tried the non-Deluxe version. It saw only the JPG files but the Deluxe version lists DNG files as a recognized format, whereas the nonDeluxe version doesn't. However, just because the Deluxe version says it will recognize the DNG format doesn't necessarily mean it will recover Pentax DNG files. Not only does this software require you to buy a license before it will recover the files, it makes you send in your contact info in order to download a demo copy. You'll then start getting emails from the company.

RemoRecover version 3.0 (Remo Software - Tools to Recover, Repair, Erase, Manage & Optimize Data select the Photo Recovery software) - this software allows you to select specific file extensions such as JPG, DNG Type 1 and DNG Type 2. The software recognized all the JPG and DNG files on the card. I believe that the DNG Type 1 selection recognized the correct DNG files as their file size was about right. The DNG Type 2 selection listed "DNG" files but wanted to save them as JPG files, and the file sizes weren't right - they were too small. Again, you need to buy a license before you an actually recover all the files. Since this software would do what I needed it to do, I'd consider purchasing a license but would probably prefer CardRecoveryPro as the CardRecoveryPro license is less expensive.

Recuva version 1.43.623 (Recuva - Download free download) - this software didn't see any files on the card, even when I used the "Deep Scan" option. There's not really anything further I can say about it.

CardRecovery version 6.10 (http://www.cardrecovery.com/) - this is software different from CardRecoveryPro and requires that you purchase a license to actually recover files. The software allows you to pick the brand camera, Pentax in this case. The evaluation copy did see all the files on the card but gave a file extension of PEF to the raw files instead of DNG. The file size looked about right - 25 MB. I did not buy a license for this software so I wasn't able to see what it would actually recover. I'd keep this software on the list as a useful recovery software.

Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery Software (Photo Recovery Software Recover deleted lost digital photos from memory cards, digital cameras) - this is the software I used originally to try to recover my JPG and DNG files, and I did buy a license for it before I started researching and trying different recovery software. However, it only recovered JPG files and not the DNG files. Tisk, tisk.

In conclusion, for my particular problem I would try PhotoRec first, for free, and if I couldn't deal with the DOS interface then I'd purchase a license for CardRecoveryPro.

In any case, if you want the files to have the same filename sequence the camera uses, you'll have to rename the files. This is true for any of the software mentioned above.

Hope all this prose is useful to someone.

Last edited by ljlayne; 11-20-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: bad grammar, correct an error
11-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ljlayne Quote
Here's what I've found using several different photo recovery software with the caveat that my tests are far from rigorous and comprehensive.
To cut to the chase, the software PhotoRec recovered both the jpg AND dng files, and this software is free. ...
The method I used to have the different software access the SDHC card was to install the software on a desktop computer running Windows 7 Ultimate and insert the card into the SD/MMC card slot on the computer. Before this I moved the lock switch on the card to the Lock position so nothing could write to the card.
Hope all this prose is useful to someone.
First well done!
and thank you for coming back and telling us in detail of your experience.

The two most recommended data/photo recovery software were PhotoRec and Recuva.

It is great that you managed to recover your files including RAW/DNG with PhotoRec.
It is also very interesting that Recuva fared so poorly in your case.

I think this shows that data recovery may sometimes vary -
but since most of the good programs can be free -
it is well worth trying as many as necessary.

The other point is to follow your example of good practice -
of protecting the card from being written to -
until the files have been recovered.

Caveat that is unless the card is not recognized/readable by the camera or computer -
in which case as a last resort it may entail having to do a Quick format of the card
so that other recovery software can see the card.
(Please Note: apparently PhotoRec and a few others can recover from an unreadable card - see earlier in this thread)
11-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Thanks for saying so Vincent. I appreciate your comments. I need to make a couple more corrections and will do so with a reply rather than editing the original message. First, CardRecoveryPro is NOT less expensive than CardRecovery. Just the opposite. Second, in an email conversation with CardRecovery, they indicated after testing that the file header and structure information for Pentax DNG is very similar to Pentax PEF. Thus the files it saw as "PEF" can be safely renamed to DNG. In addition, the company sent a gratis registration number to fully test the files I've been working on using CardRecovery, which I will do early next week. Kudos for CardRecovery. Lastly, I think I'll send a message the fearless forum leaders and suggest they create a permanent-type page containing information for recovering jpg, dng, pef (and other?) files. It probably doesn't happen often but when it does, it can be pretty disappointing if not downright expensive to lose images.
Closed Thread