Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2007, 08:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Harald Quote
EXIF is the best place for all picture related information. There can be put all the people names, places and other information. If you use some cataloging software as iView Media Pro or similar, indexing is very easy.

Harald,
I agree with you completely. However, $199 for Iview is crazy. On the other hand I can't find a program that will put key words into the exif file on DNG files. Do you know of any that will attach words to DNG?
Thanks,

01-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #17

iView Media Pro... :-)

I tried to use Breeze Downloader Pro and add indexes directly to PEF:s while downloading, but PEF - > DNG conversion deleted all indexes.

So I changed the method and now add all indexes to DNG:s in iView.

I got my K10D today and I will try if Downloader Pro is suitable for adding indexes to DNG:s while it is downloading them to appropriate folders (ddmmyy). There is no need for pef->dng conversion anymore, so may be this works and one additional stage in iView is not needed either.

If Downloader Pro works, indexes are needed to add to dialog only once in the beginning of downloading. So basic indexing is made as a batch run and only some detail indexes are needed to add later in iView.

I paid more less for iView student license about an year ago. And it has been well worth of it. I would pay now even full licence fee if needed.
01-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyeros Quote
..... I created a folder with mm-dd-yyyy-name of event/place and in side folder i would name each picture with name such as the person in the picture (always from left to right)..etc the only thing that i might needed to add is the order for in which the picture is taken...
On a day to day use of dates I prefer the mdy format but for storing and seeing in a chronological order in a folder the yy-mm-dd format lends itself to falling in line. If you look at a folder full of folders, by name, spanning a bit of time you will see how jumbled it can look as opposed to starting off with the year in the part of the file name that changes.

I prefer initials, year, month, day, camera:
JCN_2006_11_23_DS
JCN_2006_11_25_DS

I keep a separate folder(s) for different cameras and am just starting to fill my K10 folder.

The DAM book is a great resource if you need to start or restructure your storage system.
01-05-2007, 12:31 PM   #19

robogeo alternative???

Anybody know of a Mac compatible app like robogeo?